AT Pro Question/Problems

wadepliskin

Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on all of the falsing & ground balancing problems I have been having as of late.

Recently my machine has been acting up a lot. Today I couldn't use it at all.
I get constant falsing every level, every frequency, land, water, air. Cords are all tightly wrapper, no wiggle, fresh batteries, cables connected well, etc...

I had this happen a few hunts ago too but not as bad. Seemed to settle down a bit but was still iffy at times but today, wow!!!

Any advice or similar problems? How did you get it working again?

Thanks all :)

-Corey

My guess would be a coil issue.

Had this happen to my F75 a few years back. They said the coil was out of phase. Now this may be a standard answer to get you off the phone. But my detector came back new and hot as a pistol. Try a different coil if you have one. If not you may as well bite the bullet and send it in for repair. The sooner you send it in, the sooner you get it back. Some things that could cause this is a bad coil connection. A bad battery. Or a loose wire in the coil itself. You could have water in the coil also. Never seen a main housing unit go out unless someone modified their detector and accidentally burnt it out. Now some folks will say wrapping the coil wire too loose or the wrong way may cause this. I run a loose coil wire as I have wrapped a coil wire too tight and broke the wires in side and damaged a connector housing. The reason I dont think a loose wire will effect your detector is try running your coil over a electrical cable in your house. You will get no sound. Sorry to hear your trouble. Last but not least change the batterys.

Do a reset. Should solve problem. While on, press and hold power button until you get two beeps. I do it at the beginning of just about every hunt and especially after changing batteries. GL. Tom

Do a reset. Should solve problem. While on, press and hold power button until you get two beeps. I do it at the beginning of just about every hunt and especially after changing batteries. GL. Tom

Another thing is to try changing frequency's. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, and that did the trick.
Also, when you change coils, you should factory reset it.

Back in 2012 mine had some issue with craziness but it went away,only thing is ever since then it can't fully remember to notch in dimes and pennies when I turn it off. I don't want to send it in until it gets unusable.:D

Sounds like a cracked coil. Works great as long as it's bone dry but add some water, dew or even humidity and she goes cattywhumpus.

Good luck on the repair! :grin:

Kinda sounds like a bad coil to me. I'd give Garrett a call. Their customer service is top notch!

That^

<°)))>{

Thanks all for the help.

From what I've researched, I believe it to be a cracked coil too.

On to my next question... LOL

Can that be fixed at all and if so is the cost worth it over buying a new coil?

I was already looking at the smaller 5" DD coil but would still like the stock one as it's been pretty good to me last year :)

Sorry to hear Corey. I'd definitely call Garrett first to get some tech help, but if you do have to replace the coil, I've been partial to my 5 x 8. It's really nice for all around hunting. I almost never take it off.
I had a similar issue a couple years ago. It started as a little falsing if the coil was wiggled and then it grew into a major pain. Garrett replaced the control box and both coils without explanation (under warranty). I never did find out what the problem was, but suspected that the control housing took on water at some point as the problem persisted with either the stock and 5x8 coils attached.
Good luck!

I have 3 coils for the AT pro the stock, the nel attack and hunter coils. My favorite is the hunter coil by nel a little more depth, a little more sensitivity and much easier on the arm than the attack. If you do have to buy a coil I recommend the hunter by nel I have done well with it.

You should be able to see the crack if that's the issue, after you are sure it is bone dry and working 100% use some epoxy and fill the crack, cheap and easy fix.

I have looked the coil up and down but can't seem to find a crack at all. I do notice some pitting and worn spots but nothing I would call a crack.
Still, giving it an epoxy coating may be a good idea anyways.

I have looked the coil up and down but can't seem to find a crack at all. I do notice some pitting and worn spots but nothing I would call a crack.

I've had the same, I think the water got in through the wire opening...

<°)))>{

I never could find the crack in my stock AT coil. I sent it in to Garrett and a new one appeared on my porch! :wow:
If you can see the crack the epoxy repair would be easy as long as you didn't seal any moisture in it.

Well, definitely the coil as my new 5x8 showed up on Friday and I took it out for a nice 2 hour test.
Works great, no noise at all. Nice and quiet. Picked out some very tiny objects (tack, split shot, etc...) even managed to find a .925 mens ring (very black).
I bought some epoxy to coat the stock coil but will probably be using this new beauty for a while :)
Thanks for all of the support everyone. It's nice to be able to count on the forum.

-Corey

Back
Top Bottom