Finaly got the Excalibur II

The excalibur will last long if you take special care of the cables....wash after every hunt, and divers silicon spray all the cables at least once a week. The excalibur in the pictures, the rest of the cables were fine but he never rinsed out the headphones, which require breakdown...salt ate them up...I never break mine down but looks like one may have to do it at least once a month with heavy hunting...

I go back and forth about owning an Excal II. Threads like this put me on the fence, but all the great finds make me drool and wish I had one. Hmmm...

Thanks all for your advice and help, if you have to balance the Excalibur's issues with the Excalibur's finds I think that finds would be heavier than issues and I'm confident that on this forum there are many members ready to sort out some of the issues regarding the Excalibur.

Also who would be crazy enough to disassemble a newly acquired and expensive detector to check for flaws, I've been trying to find as much issues about this machine not to avoid them in the future, but be able to take decisions on my own, which was not the case with the Beach hunter.
I live in a very remote location where people have never heard of metal detecting, which also mean that there won't be anyone around to help your repair the detector, Excalibur is a very popular machine, we find lots of books, members and videos related to it. Almost 80% of my friends from Reunion Island are Excal users.

Well know I will have to wait to see the finds....
man, if you are at a location where nobody has heard of MDng and there are alot of people in a beach, you are going to do well,,,,,:pirate2: please show us your finds as you pull them in,,,,:laughing:

Get off that fence. Its really hard not to own one of the best water machine when you know it will pay for its self out there. After that you have a warranty for repairs.... heck even if you have to repair it, thats cheaper than a new machine and you recoup that the first ring you find. Xcal is money in the bank.

Dew

OBN has me scared now! I had to tape off all the holes in the headphones to get rid of all that air noise that howls through it.Rinsed it off good.But imagine all that salt trapped in there i didn't get out.Glad i'm prepared to change the headphones.OBN don't forget to put me on the list for one of your new set ups with the phones.Maybe Max will let me cut in line?:lol: You'll likely get Minelab rolling fixing this stuff they never address once you retire and show how they could have been doing it all along;)

The excalibur will last long if you take special care of the cables....wash after every hunt, and divers silicon spray all the cables at least once a week. The excalibur in the pictures, the rest of the cables were fine but he never rinsed out the headphones, which require breakdown...salt ate them up...I never break mine down but looks like one may have to do it at least once a month with heavy hunting...

I went to some hardware and marine stores today, it's very difficult to find some of the products on my list, I got ABRO silicone spray for the cables (could not find any diving silicone spray anywhere), ABRO silicone grease for connector, glue and scotch tape to fix the decal. I will reuse the screws from the headphone, there are no stainless of this size here.

My next project will be to build a straight shaft, but I always wanted to make something special using exotic material such as teak, yes you read it right teak! part teak part aluminum

I was just going to apply the Grease on the connectors when I notice that it was lithium grease not silicone grease, I also bought silicone spray, lithium grease and silicone spray can be harmful, I need to return the Lithium grease back...

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 306
I know this sounds obvious but did you try looking at a scuba/dive shop for the diving silicone? Another option would be to check eBay...

303 Protectant

303 is found at boating/marine stores, Ace Hardware and online. It is much better than silicone sprays. Once every 4 months uncoil the cable and rub it with 2 coats of 303. It has strong UV compounds to protect from the sun and prevent the casing from cracking. It is the best product to use for the coil cable, coil, nylon and vinyl parts and rubber to include your car tires and dash. It works great on boats, boat seats, boat covers and life preservers. 303 IS the best! I guarantee it. :D Silicone sprays damage some rubber coatings. Do not use it.

I'll have too check out the 303 sounds good....This is what I use on all my saltwater stuff, cables, drysuits, neoprene gloves, boots. I'm not sure about the one you purchased, food grade should be safe.
McNett Silicon spray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaRazca_og&feature=player_embedded

Highest quality formula lubricates and protects watersports equipment. Lubricates sensitive rubber products and protects against rust, salt, oxidation and corrosion. Conditions neoprene, rubber, leather and more. Available in 11 1/2 oz. Aerosol

Looks Good on the 303, the good is you can pick it up at Walmart. Imlookin, how long have you been using it...I will add it to the new boat collection..thanks...

Attachments

• SNAG-0001 (8).jpg
    SNAG-0001 (8).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I check everywhere, none of this products (silicone grease, silicone spray) are available here, I will have to order them online and the biggest problem is that I cannot import aerosol without special permit.

OR I think I'll go with the 303 I found this is a kind of spray not aerosol and the one in 2fl. oz seems to be fine, Should be available in auto part warehouses

303 is found at boating/marine stores, Ace Hardware and online. It is much better than silicone sprays. Once every 4 months uncoil the cable and rub it with 2 coats of 303. It has strong UV compounds to protect from the sun and prevent the casing from cracking. It is the best product to use for the coil cable, coil, nylon and vinyl parts and rubber to include your car tires and dash. It works great on boats, boat seats, boat covers and life preservers. 303 IS the best! I guarantee it. :D Silicone sprays damage some rubber coatings. Do not use it.

Is it this product that you are referring to imalookin2?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/303-aerospace-protectant/prod_366.html

Zip ties on the shaft?

Just got a new Excal II and an Anderson straight shaft. Will the single metal tooth inside the 5 or 6 very small zip ties affect the performance at all? Just put it together, used zip ties to secure coil cabling as will be using it in shallow water....then went outside in the yard, but was raining crazy so didn't stay out too long.....yeah I know, it's waterproof. :cool: Seemed to sound okay and was picking up trash targets in the community lawn. The shaft has metal spring buttons, right?

Zeemang, where do you get peltor gels that exactly fit the Koss headsets? I Googled them and saw a number of distributors, is there a cross reference index somewhere to order the correct ones?

Just got a new Excal II and an Anderson straight shaft. Will the single metal tooth inside the 5 or 6 very small zip ties affect the performance at all? Just put it together, used zip ties to secure coil cabling as will be using it in shallow water....then went outside in the yard, but was raining crazy so didn't stay out too long.....yeah I know, it's waterproof. :cool: Seemed to sound okay and was picking up trash targets in the community lawn. The shaft has metal spring buttons, right?

Zeemang, where do you get peltor gels that exactly fit the Koss headsets? I Googled them and saw a number of distributors, is there a cross reference index somewhere to order the correct ones?
You should start a new thread and introduce yourself. This thread is really old. Welcome to FMDF. Lots of people here will help you out! I have not seen zipties with metal in them. I recommend you use velcro wraps. Zipties can eat into the wire coating causing holes.

Back
Top Bottom