First Real Hunt - T2 SE

mudkicker

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday I finally got out to a real site with my new T2 SE. I had been reading stuff on the various forums and had been messing around in my yard which is pretty clean.

So yesterday we went to the home site that has produced close to a dozen wheats, a merc dime, and a sterling silver ’62 class ring. This site is fairly trashy as it was bulldozed over in the ‘60’s. In any case, I decided I was going to ramp the sensitivity all the way up, disc at 15 and run in Boost Process mode.

Man, we hunted for two hours and I was fatigued afterwards. And it wasn’t from digging holes it was from listening to all the chirps, zips, and pffts.

I am not unhappy, but I had a hard go of it yesterday. I dug no less than 3 empty holes. One read in the 50’s at 7 inches, another read in the 70’s at 9 inches but was iffy. Sounded good two directions, and grunty the other direction. The last, which really was strange, was a solid 94 in all 4 directions and pin pointed at 5 inches. I was sure that was going to be something good, but I dug the hole, stuck the pinpointer in and nothing. Scanned with the detector….and there was nothing in the hole or in my mountain of dirt. What the heck???

All was not lost though. I did manage to pull out a 1927 Wheat Penny, a 1947 Nickel, and old key from a local key shop that has been in business since the ‘20’s. The best find of the day, however, was a 1908 Indian Head Penny that is in remarkable condition. The really cool thing about this find was I found it at about 5 inches but there was a little iron latch thing a couple of inches above it in the same hole. The T2 saw the penny no problem, but it read as zinc. Not sure what it would have ready without the decoy in the hole, or if it even would have mattered.

One thing that I kept noticing was I would get a zip of high tone sometimes but would not give me a vid. The zip would be sporadic too. I mean once I would hear a zip while gridding I would stop and swing around. I would sometimes hear them again, but they were quick zips on maybe once out of every 4 or 5 swings when I could narrow down the area where I tagged them. This happened several times. Is that a signal worth investigating? I tried to pin point one, but it was very hard to tell with the trash stuff laying around.

So, my first day out was somewhat tiring, a little frustrating but in the same hand rewarding. I know there are old coins and relics to be found here just with what we have been able to pull out, but it will take time to learn my machine I guess.

Indians will come up right around the zincoln range on the vdi, that's normal. So is the unit being able to see thru the iron and lock on that coin. 'Zips' without a vdi being assigned could be a deep target, but it's too early for worrying about that. You should start out with a lower sensitivity until you have some hours on it, then boost it up a little more each hunt as you learn what the chatter is telling you....The 3 empties, the one with the 94 sounds like the mole dragged the silver quarter away on you:laughing: No, you were most likely over deep iron on the 2, and the 94 was probably big aluminum something. In a scenario like your 3 empties, raise the coil 4-6" and scan the target, if it's still there, it's big junk. You did excellent for the first time out, it's a beast once you begin to learn it. Congrats on your finds!

Thanks for the tips Captain. I will try that next time.

I thought about lowering the sensitivity, maybe I will. Where would you recommend I start? I am usually an all in kind of guy, you know go for the gusto and see what happens.

Needless to say I don't do well at poker. :laughing: But when I do win, I win big. :gettinmoney:

Mud I'll be learning the same machine ( non-SE ) soon , though this weekend I was at an old 1800-1900s cellar / home and the few non-iron signals I recieved was over deep rusted iron coming in at the copper and low silver range, last dig of the day was a solid $.25 at 7-8" which for the machine I was using this weekend is not a normal depth that it reaches, But after being skunked of coinage after almost 7 hours at this sight I was of the mind that if it keeps beeping I'm gonna keep digging. It ended up being atleast 12" down and was what I think is the Iron ring for the wheel off a old wheel barrel . That old rusty iron is tricky. Good luck with the machine .

Lakota

Hey Lakota! Yeah, seems that rust will be my arch nemesis until I get some time under my belt.

Good luck to you as well. Stay tuned here, I plan to use this thread as sort of a mini blog on my experiences with my T2 SE.

Maybe you or others will find something useful from my many failures and hopefully many more successes.

Try this...Sensitivity at 70, disc at 10, Boost Process, GB+3, number of tones is your preference, me, I'd try 3 tone, it's easier on the ears, keeps the nickels down low and makes them stand out...Next hunt after that, up the sens a little, lower the disc a little. Keep doing that each hunt or 2...You have to get a feel for it first before you pump up the jam:lol:

Hey Lakota! Yeah, seems that rust will be my arch nemesis until I get some time under my belt.

Good luck to you as well. Stay tuned here, I plan to use this thread as sort of a mini blog on my experiences with my T2 SE.

Maybe you or others will find something useful from my many failures and hopefully many more successes.

Hope I may learn a few things that help out others as well, Doesnt seem that the T2 has near the following here that some other machines do.

Oh and on the note of passing info on , I was following a thread by a T2 user on another site that had come to the conclusion that with a disc. of 50 ( sorry dont recall the other settings) he wasnt losing any depth... I know it made me scratch my head , But some others confirmed what he was finding with his setting on their T2s, Sorry also dont recall if they were the boosted model or standard T2 models.. But interesting nonetheless for those heavy iron sites.

Lakota

Hey Capt. Thanks for the setup tip. Unless I am missing something, the T2 doesn't have the ability to run in boost process while still being able to selectively run in any tone. The T2's boost process is a modified 2+ tone setting and is selected under the tones menu.

Just wanted to put that out there for others who may run across this post.

Out for acouple hours again today. Only found a 1934 Buffalo Nickel and an old head stamp. All the old coins we've pulled from this site and only 1 silver my son found a couple of weeks ago.

Really surprised by that.

Anyhow, took Capts advice and only dug 2 empties. One hole really had me confused. 88 all four directions, pin pointed at 5 inches. Dug the plug and its still in the hole....at 5 inches. Huh? Dug deeper and wider, scanned the hole...still high 80's pin pointing at 5 inches again even though the hole was probably 9 inches. Pinpointed ina nice small spot, but no matter his far I dug I couldn't find it and it never changed from 5 inches.

Not sure what was in that hole, but I am taking a break from this site and going yo spend some time somewhere where I can get some practice digging clad. This site ive been hitting should be producing more, I just don't know his to coax it out of the ground yet. The t2 is so chatty, I am having dome difficulty isolating the good stuff unless its not in trash. More yo come...hoping to go to school or ballfield this weekend.

Mud are you running a pin pointer of some sort? Usually when I have trouble locating a target and has me going deeper and deeper still usually end up big big deep objects usually rusty iron in my experience. Keep us updated and good luck with it.

Lakota

Yes I have propointer. The proppinter wouldn't sound off in the hole.

I told my brother last night it must have been something big and deep. Who knows...

I just got the T-2 and that hunt sounds exactly like my first 2-hunts. Since then i've disc all but silver 2+ on tones and 70 on sens. till i get the hang of the new sounds to ear. It does love metal bottle caps though!
HH
Jim

Going out today to a camp ground or ball field. Not sure which yet. I'll update later what I find, if I find anything.

Went to the campground today. Today I cranked the sensitivity up to Max, ran in boost process and set the disc to 40. This really quieted the machine down and I am happy to report I didn't have to dig any empty holes today.

Close to this campground were home sites from the early 1900’s at least, possibly 1800's. We didn't exactly find the exact locations of the yards, but we were in the general area. We spent most of 3 hours in this area. Just milling around trying to find hot spots.

In this area we found a tree that had a carving on it too, so I knew we were close. After about an hour I finally got a strong repeatable 70ish signal. Right in the zinc penny range and pinpointing at 6 inches. I remember yhinking to myself, no way theres a new penny way out here that deep. Dug the plug and out popped a pretty nice 1903 Indian Head penny. This was my first dig of the day. I stayed in this area for another hour and dug an unreadable wheat penny (I think its a 1914, but its in horrible shape), an old broken pocket knife, several pieces of chrome trim off a car right beside a tree, several pieces of scrap iron and a smallish copper buckle (I think its copper, ot has a green patina with an iron clasp) that I dug at probably 8 inches. I don't know if its off a horses bridle set or what.

We then went go the campground and within 10 minutes I found .38 cents in clad.

We called it a day at that point which meant I was again skunked on the silver and gold. Oh well, it'll come. I am starting to feel much better about my machine sk that's a plus.

So, what is the deal with the discrimination settings?

Did some bench testing last night and the depth readings pretty much decreased as I went from 0 to 50. But when I hit 50, most times I had better depth than I did at 0 discrimination.

Code:
Depth	NB, 60	 NB, 75  B, 60  B, 75         Discrimination Settings	
0.5						D0	0 Disc
1						D10	10 Disc
1.5						D20	20 Disc
2						D30	30 Disc
2.5						D40	40 Disc
3						D50	50 Disc
3.5						D60	60 Disc
4						D70	70 Disc
5	D40						
5.5	D20,D30						
6	D10	D40					
6.5	D70	D20,D30					
7		D10	D30,D40				
7.5   D0,D50,D60	D20				
8		D70		D40			
8.5		D0,D60	D10,D70	D20,D30			
9		D50	D0,D60	D10,D70			
9.5			D50	D60			
10				D0			
10.5				D50			

NB, 60= No boost, 60 sensitivity
NB, 75= No boost, 75 sensitivity
B, 60= Boost Process, 60 Sensitivity
B, 75= Boost Process, 75 Sensitivity

Since I am new to this, what do I lose by increasing the discrimination settings? I mean...if my machine gets the same or better depth discriminating out all the iron and foil trash why wouldn't I do that?

Back
Top Bottom