Shell Shock'd

Digitty

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
I've found shell casings before but never anythin this big ....My detector showed a "manhole cover" as the id :lol: ..... actually it showed " overload " and hadnt found anything in awhile....... so I dug this one .....sometimes U never know.....just glad it was used ? if that's the right kind of description to use considering it's shape ....maybe.......... abused would be better
hope the pic's are good enough so that you can read it.....

bigOshell.jpg

From what i can see and read ... it says 3 in Field Gun... AMI OT 7808...MOD of 02-04 & 05
Scovil War Ord G.A. 101-1023......Hope this helps..I know my picture skill s needs some work ...lol

Hmm, wonder is it could have been from the Port Chicago explosion during WWII. Did you happen to be hunting nearby?

From what i can see and read ... it says 3 in Field Gun... AMI OT 7808...MOD of 02-04 & 05
Scovil War Ord G.A. 101-1023......Hope this helps..I know my picture skill s needs some work ...lol

Thank you! You picture skills are fine. I sometimes have trouble reading writing in online images. Don't know why.

Doug

That's a GREAT find by the way!

Doug

your welcome doug...
an Rudy...I Found it in Benicia ,(my Home) which has a rich past war /gold /political related history and is about 15 minutes from where that tragic explosion was..... about leveled the town of port chicago ...i have hunted the town back some 20+ years ago with one of those older whites MD's ... ......but all i found was bits and pieces of unidentifiable metal... The weapons station is now for the most part a modern vision of a future ghost town...(sort of like Mare Island)...with lots of ammo bunkers scattered around.....maybe someday they will open it up to us dirt diggers...but i doubt it will happen in my lifetime....

Thanks for your response Diggity. I knew you live in Benicia ... not far from Port Chicago.

There also was an accidental explosion at the Benicia arsenal back in 1912. Where you hunting near the old arsenal?

Thanks for your response Diggity. I knew you live in Benicia ... not far from Port Chicago.

There also was an accidental explosion at the Benicia arsenal back in 1912. Where you hunting near the old arsenal?

I was aware of that accident......This shell mighta been the cause......:?: might have to read up .

close guess :yes:....about a sliced 3 iron from the main gates ... u pick the direction ;)

I was aware of that accident......This shell mighta been the cause......:?: might have to read up .

close guess :yes:....about a sliced 3 iron from the main gates ... u pick the direction ;)

Here is a good site at which to start reading up on the Benicia arsenal.
http://books.google.com/books?id=AYMPR6xAj50C&pg=PA495&lpg=PA495&dq=Benicia+arsenal+explosion&source=bl&ots=8QUdG7wky5&sig=ioFjEMNN8eL97WviA_vpgAuYc0c&hl=en&ei=lnJ9TIHYJpHQsAO24KiCBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Benicia%20arsenal%20explosion&f=false

benicia arsenal

That one looks like it exploded, but they had a couple of firing ranges there, and practiced with everything at least up to 50cal. I used to go there and pick up the shell casings and anything else I could get my hands on. This was in the late 50's. A friends father was the commander of the arsenal then, so we kinda had permission, even camped out there. When we left, we had our pockets so full of ammo, that our pants almost fell off, as we were walking out the gate. In those days there were thousands of tanks, artillery guns, ducks, jeeps and anything else you could imagine. It was a kids paradise.

Back
Top Bottom