Spring tease...

DoctorWhy

Up here on an island off the coast of Maine, about two weeks ago, I had thought that Spring had arrived early: days in the low 40's, nights hovering just above freezing and the frozen ground surface softening. Now two weeks later, there is a fresh 2 foot layer of snow.

During that brief spring teaser, I went out to a favorite colonial-era cellar hole. There was only about 1" of frost in the ground, making digging possible. Found four great late-1700's artifacts: two tombac cuff buttons, a 'sunflower' patterned brass flat button, and a small silver-washed escutcheon plate.

Encouraged by that day out, I made plans for subsequent days only to be prevented by the late-winter dump of the white stuff.

Two lessons: 1) Take advantage to dig whenever you can. 2) Never turn your back on Winter weather in Maine.

Cheers and Happy Digging,
--Bert

Attachments

• Two_Tombac_Cuff_Buttons_sm.jpg
    Two_Tombac_Cuff_Buttons_sm.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 152
  • SunflowerDandyButton_sm.jpg
    SunflowerDandyButton_sm.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 170
  • SunflowerCloseupFeatures_sm.jpg
    SunflowerCloseupFeatures_sm.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Escution_sm.jpg
    Escution_sm.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 141
Same here Bert

The temp is 29 here currently (12:30 pm), but we too had a few nice days a while back. Then more snow and frozen earth. I hit a local tot lot but did not find much, just an empty ka-bar knife sheath laying on the ground. I'm limited as to when I can hunt too thanks to my schedule at work. Usually when the weather is nice, I'm working, when I'm off, it's raining or like today.....freezing outside...

Happy hunting

HDD

Back
Top Bottom