Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 03-11-2018, 03:25 AM
Supporter

Default Equinox 800 Maiden Voyage

Today was my first hunt with the Equinox. It was pretty exciting to use a new detector, my first with target id numbers and wireless headphones. For the most part I used the "Beach 1" mode and the only changes I made were bumping up the sensitivity and threshold levels. I met up with Romy, from this forum, and hunted some dry sand, wet sand (mostly) and up to my knees in salt water.
As most of you have probably heard, the Equinox is pretty light and easy to swing. The headphones are also lightweight and pretty comfortable. I have a feeling that the headphones won't be as effective at blocking out wind noise as my other detectors's bigger, bulkier headphones but today I could hear the signals well. It was rainy today and I was concerned about getting the headphones wet so I wore a shower cap over them. I will definitely be getting some waterproof headphones when available.
The sounds that the Equinox makes will take me some time to get used to. I was hunting at a pretty trashy beach and the Equinox was reacting to a lot of small, non-ferrous targets. 1 hole I dug yielded a nail, a paper-clip and a greenish-brown nickel (reading 13). It took me a few minutes but I finally could make out the uniquely angled neckline of a Liberty or "V" nickel- 1908!

It didn't seem too deep- only a few inches but I think that I'm starting to understand the Equinox's ability to sniff out good targets among the less desirable ones. I found myself using "pinpoint" quite a bit when there were so many targets close to one another. When pinpointing, it's pretty surprising how little the coil has to move to center the target- I never realized that my other detectors were so much slower to respond to targets than the Equinox is.
After finding a couple dozen or so coins (mostly copper pennies) I got a reading of around 25 and scooped out my first bit of silver for the Nox- a mercury dime:

So much more to learn about this detector but I think it's going to fit in well with my Excal and Dual Field. It definitely is a fun machine to use. Still need to test it in the surf, fresh water, black sand, and dirt. I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones who have found gold on their first hunt with the Equinox but I will gladly take a 110 year-old coin and a little silver- the gold will come. GL&HH!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:03 AM
Elite Member

Very cool finds! You’re off to a great start! Congrats on the V and Merc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 AM

I found the pinpoint to be a little off on my first few hunts but I put that down to inexperience with the machine, but yes, it does seem to lock on quickly

Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 AM
24K Larry

Way to go! So far I have had two detectors on the first hunt pull gold rings. The BHID300 and the CTX. And the BHID some people came and got me after a lady lost a real expensive wedding set. With a good clue found it in about 45 seconds. Hoping by the time my Nox gets delivered some sand moved to help my odds of hitting gold the first time out. Gold luck!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 AM
Freshwater Shark

Very nice and thanks for the evaluation.

I think when Minlab replaces the CTX, their new machine is going to be awesome. Expensive, but awesome!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Congrats on the new machine and neat scores. That shower cap idea was brilliant no matter how silly you may have looked!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Supporter

Well thats pretty cool! Lots of great reports coming in from the field! Thanks Compass!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Nice finds and good write up . Thanks and congrats .

Equinox 600 / Garrett Carrot / RTG Pro / Grave Digger Nemisis & Sidekick

Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Excellent information, thanks. I am looking forward to getting my 800 to the beach, too.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Supporter

Nice first hunt Compass, Congrats on the Merc and the V!
Sounds like another 2-3 months for the waterproof phones, hold on to that shower cap.
Great idea btw!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Very cool finds! You’re off to a great start! Congrats on the V and Merc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Rattlehead! I guess we both are. However, I'm sure that the best is yet to come.

Originally Posted by Saoirse View post
I found the pinpoint to be a little off on my first few hunts but I put that down to inexperience with the machine, but yes, it does seem to lock on quickly
Yes. It's difficult for me to explain how the Nox reacts- It's unlike anything I've hunted with before.

Originally Posted by itsaring! View post
Way to go! So far I have had two detectors on the first hunt pull gold rings. The BHID300 and the CTX. And the BHID some people came and got me after a lady lost a real expensive wedding set. With a good clue found it in about 45 seconds. Hoping by the time my Nox gets delivered some sand moved to help my odds of hitting gold the first time out. Gold luck!
Thank you! There is a decent possibility that I will find gold on my 2nd time out with the Nox. I'm heading out today to look for a ring that I was contacted to find. Would that count???

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Very nice and thanks for the evaluation.

I think when Minlab replaces the CTX, their new machine is going to be awesome. Expensive, but awesome!
You are very welcome Scuba. I believe that Fisher will also come up with something soon. Exciting times ahead.

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Congrats on the new machine and neat scores. That shower cap idea was brilliant no matter how silly you may have looked!
Thanks Felix. I think Romy is posting a vid but, hopefully, it was before I donned the shower cap- I think.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Well thats pretty cool! Lots of great reports coming in from the field! Thanks Compass!
Thanks Mud! Yes, I have noticed that as well. Still early but there does seem something a little special about this machine.

Originally Posted by adirondak5 View post
Nice finds and good write up . Thanks and congrats .
Thanks adriondak, I appreciate the comment!

Originally Posted by CoffinCat View post
Excellent information, thanks. I am looking forward to getting my 800 to the beach, too.
Thanks CC! Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Nice first hunt Compass, Congrats on the Merc and the V!
Sounds like another 2-3 months for the waterproof phones, hold on to that shower cap.
Great idea btw!
Thanks Ron, The waterproof headphones can wait- what I really want is the 6" coil!

Old 03-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up Congrats

Nice hunt, i found a Merc also with the Equinox, and your wright, a gold chain can register on ID as a 1 or 2, i was digging 8 and up, but i want the chains this summer the CTX3030s and the Excalibur's miss that's wright , i thought Romy would have you on video, maybe next time , happy hunting , Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 03-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Elite Member

Good report Compass, today I set my recovery speed at 7 ..iron bias always at 0. Park 2
Itried a hunted out school(1922) short hunt, got some quarters pennies and a cut penny?
Super trashy lots of low blips!
I'm really liking the Equinox and it pinpoints very well and id's great!

Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Crusty but better than not getting out. The nox seems to like the nickles.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Supporter

Sounds like you're learning your Equinox well. Keep us posted if you learn anything interesting about the machine.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Supporter

Nicely done. Gotta see a pic of you geared up with the extra shower cap accessory

Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

The Nox sounds like a good machine. Nice find with the V.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

Nice start with Nox.
Nice finds.
Thanks for sharing.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 03-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Congrats on your hunt! Looking forward to hearing more!