Finding Old Bottles?

juicetin444

Hey everyone! I am generally new to the forum but I was wondering if anyone could help me out on finding old privy pits/bottle dumps. I have been doing some research and I have discovered multiple areas in the woods/fields where old homes used to stand. I have already detected the areas, and I have found tons of coins, buttons, etc. But I am very interested in finding older blown bottles since most of the bottles I have found date from the 1890's-1930's. Anyways, I was wondering how I would go about finding these places at these older sites, since the only information I have to go on is the historic map (shown below) and what I learned from the artifacts discovered.
662ae21e64600e0476e763e2d80fc498.jpg
6a1c24f5452ecffa4a8492193a855f1d.jpg
Here is the historic map fragment and what the area looks like now. I highlighted the creek in blue and some stone wall remnants in white. I have marked to the area with the highest concentration of artifacts with pins. Also alot of the area has been developed. (not sure if its worth looking in the are where the top soil has been scraped off)
fdce8bc5564ac491f810bc9af8bc54c8.jpg
5e9a48b49fa55046bfc1b0ab7906e772.jpg
0c1fa01d86e2a4bb6fea01b91646aecc.jpg
https://tapatalk.com/id/update_pass...=8a4b0ff85497f2bb332c57bbce97cb34&fromemail=1 Those were all found where it says "untitled place mark". As you can see I was finding a lot of glass and pottery there, but the ground was normal and there was no ash. Anyways, thanks in advance for any help. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I belatedly just saw your post. To answer your question, "where to find the older blown bottles" is the question of the ages. Wouldn't we all love to know.

Research and just getting out there (which you have done) is the first step. Most dumps I find are TOC and newer nowdays. Getting back to the 1880s and earlier is just plain tougher than ever. You don't say where you are located but generally out east, northeast and southeast are older areas ripe for that age. The best old stuff comes from the deep city privies in old towns (but not always). Check out some of the websites for privydigging. It can be very dangerous and strenuous digging those type of privys and always do it with help, never alone. Have you probed out some of the areas you are finding the old coins? The probe is your eyes and ears for finding glass underground. Knowing where ancient old estates were and even old town dumps were are good for the old stuff.

GLASSHOPPER1955

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I will just have to get out there and probe where the highest concentration of artifacts are. Thanks a lot and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd hit up YouTube. I did a quick search and there are dozens, if not hundreds of privy and bottle digging vids.

Back
Top Bottom