Whites MX5 and MXT user review.

gben

I do not see a lot about these detectors here so I thought I would start a thread on them.

I have a lot of experience with the MX5 and I think it is a great performing detector. It gives very good audio and visual clues as to what is in the ground. If you like going after coins it might be as good a choice as you will find as when it hits a coin or a solid piece of jewelry it gives a distinct audio signal that is unmistakeable. This lets you take your eyes off the number display when you need to without fear of missing too much.

It very accurately identifies what is in the ground. If you get a solid signal that does not change it's number as you sweep left and right or at a different angle sweep, then there is a very high probability that what is on the display is what is in the ground. It is very good at telling the difference between a penny and a dime, and it's reading for a nickel is very consistent. If the number on the display changes when sweeping left or right or when you change direction then you can be very sure that you are looking at a pop tab or bottle cap or some other piece of junk.

With it's stock coil and it's great ability to separate individual targets in a trashy environment, it is a great tool for working areas where a lot of trash have been dumped. It is great at pinpointing location and depth of a target. Many times have I had the target coin come up on the bottom of the first plug of earth I remove.

This detector will not pick up pure gold, but it will pick up any ten, fourteen or eighteen carat etc. gold, so it really has few limitations.

The MX5 will pick up targets very often down to nine or ten inches and even deeper.

Do I have anything bad to say about this detector? Well it is relatively new and has not been out there long enough for us to know if it will last just a year or two or for many years. The controls are all on one plastic button-board, so if you have a problem with it then you will probably have to replace that entire board instead of just one switch, that sort of bothers me, but I have no proof or experience that it will ever go bad.

Now onto the MXT. I do not see any advantage that the MXT has over the MX5 in performance, in fact it seems like the MXT is not quite as good at identifying targets as the MX5 is. Also the audio report the MXT gives lacks the various notes that the MX5 has, so although it alerts that you have found a target, the audio does not really tell you what it might be, you have to be watching the display numbers more closely with the MXT. The MXT is also going to be a bit heavier than the MX5. The MXT is supposed to be able to pick up pure gold, but I do not live in a part of the country where there are gold nuggets laying around, so I have not tested this. I am not a prospector and am not worried about finding any pure gold nuggets or bars laying around.

Of course the MXT has the old-school metal body with independent mechanical switches that should be cheaper to replace and repair than the MX5, and it has been around longer and more information is out there on it's performance and reliability. It also has a rechargeable pack available which the MX5 does not.

The MXT is $200 more than the MX5, and I could easily believe that it's extra cost is simply because it is more expensive to build with it's metal body and individual switches. It has to be a big savings in production costs to have the MX5 use a plastic body and have all it's buttons and switches on one vinyl-covered button-board.

The MX5 comes with a 9" coil and the MXT with a 9.5". Both do a great all-around job in many different environments, I do not think the coils are anything to consider in choosing between the two machines.

In summary, I think the MX5 is a great machine to learn on, and it is also a keeper as I do not think hardly anyone needs any more detector than the $600 MX5. It simply does everything well and easily, especially for the person looking for coins and jewelry in manicured lawns where they will not be digging down more than a hand-spade will take them. It is a light and easy-to carry machine. I am very glad I had an MX5 for my first modern detector. My first detector was one I used back in the 1970s that was very primitive in comparison and not nearly as much fun.

I ended up using an MXT only because I bought one at an estate sale in very good used condition for $125 with earphones and a rechargeable battery pack, I could not pass it up. Although it's audio was not as rich as the MX5 and it seemed very slightly less sure in identifying targets, it was easy for me to get used to simply because of my experience using the MX5. I also learned to enjoy the solid old-school feeling of the MXT metal body, knobs and switches.

I am confident I can take either the MX5 or MXT to any yard, field or woods and get the same results with them, neither detector will miss any targets except in the case of the MX5 not being made for 24k gold.

I believe the MX5 is actually a great first detector because it is so user-friendly and because of it's advanced audio that lets it's user learn to ID targets in more than one way. It has a larger chance of suiting more individuals. The beginner will be able to quickly learn with it and then they will save money because they will not have to go out and "upgrade" to a serious detector because they will already have one!

The extra cost of the MXT can only be justified if the user wants to go looking for pure gold, or if they are a bit of a retro-grouch like me and can appreciate things made of metal and grew up using radios and TV sets with knobs and switches. My MXT shows software version 1.0 when it boots up, so maybe there is a newer version that has more to offer, I don't have any information on that.

I am a hobbyist, and do not do metal-detecting as a means of income or for a living, so I can not see spending any more on a detector than I have to. If you can get a new MX5 at a discount, on sale or very cheaply used, I do not think you could go wrong. If you have the $800 to spend on a new MXT I do not think you will have any regrets either, even less if you find one used for peanuts like my poor ass did.

In summary these are both great detectors for the working-man who wants to hit yards and fields on his evenings or weekends for fun to seriously consider. They will do more than cheap beginners rigs, and they will do much of what more expensive machines do. I am glad I skipped buying a detector cheaper than the MX5, and I am glad I skipped buying one any more expensive too!

Thank-you for your time and interest.

Gben thanks for great post on the MX5 didn't see much on it in the other forum I hung around. Came here to this forum recently. All kind of good things happening here. Appreciated your post...Z

I have the MX 5 and it is awesome. It's fast, has a neato backlight:lol:, friendly user interface, ID's in all metal, and is DEEP. It's my favorite detector. The 8 tone function is really nice, and if you've ever had a mosquito fly in your ear:laughing:, your know what a quarter or dime sounds like-it stops you in your tracks. The tone id, vdi numbers, and icons, make it nice for probability of a find. Simply push the pinpoint button for a split second and you're in pinpoint-no need to hold a button down. The two tone function is nice for searching in iron infested areas. You can accept or reject like a notch detector, but I doubt I'll ever use such a deep detector with all it's features in this manner. :cool:

agree

I have the MXT and a MX5. No complaints about either detector. They fit my needs for the type of detecting (coins & jewelry) I perform. Both have excellent depth and pinpoint function. For me in the plus column the MXT has slightly better discrimination. The MX5 is some what lighter and water resistant with a backlight. I purchased the MX5 for a back up detector but has become my number 1 detector.

I have the MXT Pro I use it in woods, farm fields, parks and once in awhile a beach. The rocky hilly terrain of New England is tough on machines and the metal case makes me feel more at ease. I have used a friends MX5 and for parks and beaches great machine. For me I prefer the MXT and I guess it's about how well you know your machine. BTW great post.

Thanks for all the great input guys. Every time I use the MX5 and the MXT I notice little differences in them.

Two things you notice right away when you put down the MXT and pick up the MX5 is how light the MX5 is.

A very important advantage the MX5 has for me though is that it's VDI numbers are much larger and take center stage. After gaining experience with the MX5 I saw how important it was to pay attention to the numbers when working trashy areas as it is so good at matching the numbers up with what is in the ground. I can hit six or more objects in one sweep in a trashy park, but if the MX5 gives one of the objects a good number, it is definitely worth pursuing as if it spits out a nickel, dime or quarter number in the middle of a pile of trash, there is a very good chance that there is one in there even though from many directions it might not show up.

The audio the MX5 puts out is very nice, but the extra-large number display and it's accuracy in assigning them to targets is what makes the MX5 a great machine.

When I use the MXT I have to try not paying attention to the names it assigns to objects in the ground as they are most often wrong, and they are large enough on the display that it seems distracting to me.
. It is annoying to me to sweep through the yard around my house with the MXT, which I know has nothing good in it, and have the display tell me it is filled with silver-dollars, rings and other valuable objects in words as large as the numbers are. I sometimes feel like painting or taping that part of the display over so all I can see is the numbers.

When you have two or more detectors and switch back and forth between them you may be worse off than the guy that just uses one detector all the time. This is because you might not get as comfortable with either of them as you would if just had one of them.

Getting used to your detector and how it displays what is in the ground is probably as critical to success in detecting as anything could be.

If you never spend most of your time with just one detector learning how to get the most out of it, then you are seriously short-changing yourself in more ways than one.

It will be interesting to look back at this thread in a year and see if my opinions of these two machines changed at all. If possible I will certainly do an update.

Thanks.

Thanks

Wow... Thanks for posting that detailed review, and the timing couldn't have been better as the MX5 is one of several I'm considering. That information will be very helpful.

I have a custom m6 and mx5, I dont like the plastic on the 5 but i love the machine (if that makes sense). I hate where the coil cable connects and can deal with the hp jack although it also isnt in my favorite spot. I guess i can say that the features and performance are great but the "externals" takes getting use to, in my opinion leaves a bit to be desired.

Gunrunner;2442453 I dont like the plastic on the 5 but i love the machine [/QUOTE said:
I have thought that it would be nice to have an MX5 that has a metal body and mechanical push-buttons and switches.

I have also been theorizing that a metal detector body helps isolate the electronics from electromagnetic interference, from power-lines for instance.

IF my mx5 ever packs it in, I am enough of a home tinkerer that I might just look for or make that metal body with mechanical switches for it.

I have thought that it would be nice to have an MX5 that has a metal body and mechanical push-buttons and switches.

I have also been theorizing that a metal detector body helps isolate the electronics from electromagnetic interference, from power-lines for instance.

IF my mx5 ever packs it in, I am enough of a home tinkerer that I might just look for or make that metal body with mechanical switches for it.

Well now let's see the White's V3i has a metal body and IMO is plagued with EMI vs say Minelab Etrac, CTX----plastic bodies BTW.

And the upgraded F75LTD2-plastic body handles EMI well since the uprgrade.

The coil is where interference goes in and out of since it is the antenna transmitting and receiving.

Really khouse? I came close to that point. I just dont like the things listed in previous post, love all the features all but dont like the lack of trac lock. I like the mxt but miss the tones, like the pro but dont need the extras (light, ground grab, relic or prospect)

Really khouse? I came close to that point. I just dont like the things listed in previous post, love all the features all but dont like the lack of trac lock. I like the mxt but miss the tones, like the pro but dont need the extras (light, ground grab, relic or prospect)
I've had 4 or 5 M6's and would grab it before the MX5 as well. Maybe it's because the 5 has more of a digital audio report? I really would suggest trying Whites best kept secret - The M6. Especially if you don't want a backlight, prospect or relic mode. Actually all machines will find relics and you don't need a special mode to do so.
I wish Whites would have came out with a M6pro model with the MXTpro type of pod. Add the same buttons for tones, GG and backlight. But I guess they want you to buy a MXTpro? But like you I don't want a prospecting or relic mode.

Ive been messaging you on the other forum under coinjumper, I do have my m6 on the Mxt pod courtesy of white's and finally added ext threshold

I got some cool information from a Metal-Detecting veteran today who uses an MXT.

When he runs his MXT he does not use Coin Mode even if he is looking for coins, he uses Relic Mode, he pushes the trigger forwards and once it is ground-balanced he turns the Dual Control all the way down.

Now when you are sweeping some ground you will get either low Iron Grunt sounds, or a high ping sound when you hit a non-ferrous target that might need a closer look. It makes operation more familiar to those used to machines with more sophisticated tone programs and he says it maximizes it's depth.

I tried it out in the yard of a very old house tonight and it worked well.

The other development related to this thread is that my MX5 quit working!

It was not a problem though as I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and since it was less than two years old he simply took it and packed it up to ship back to Whites for repairs. A good argument for doing business with a local dealer instead of buying a detector over Ebay etc..

The MX5 started acting up as if something was loose in the coil, it sounded like a Morse Code training machine when it was tuned on, but when the coil was swapped out for a known good one it made no difference, the failure was in the detector itself.

I have not heard of MX5s being prone to fail, but it would be interesting to hear first-hand stories from those who have had them quit.

Wednesday morning my local Whites dealer and I are going to hit an old country inn supposedly built about 1810 that has never been searched before with our MXTs. My MXT is all stock, but he has a 13" double-D on his that will hopefully catch some good coins or historical relics before they sink into oblivion!

Thanks again to all those interested in the MX Whites who have contributed.

I like the looks of the M6, I just do not have a lot of money and can not buy every detector that looks interesting, I just have to discuss those I am lucky enough to get use of. If I ran across a used M6 in nice shape at a house sale for a song I would certainly snap it up!! If anyone has experience using both an M6 and an MXT or MX5 that would be interesting to hear from them too.

My thoughts on the MX5 and MXT still lean towards the MX5 being a great all-around machine and a great investment that will not lose it's usefulness as it's owner gains experience. I think the MXT is a superb all-around machine also, but it is more expensive and I think it would be a bit harder for many people to learn on. The MX5 in Coin mode with default settings let me find Indian-head pennies and silver coins the first few days I used it, my first days with a modern metal detector. Once I gained some experience using the MX5, I was able to jump over to the MXT with very little education, and I suspect that the MXT has a few secrets to give up and might let someone with more experience find more objects under more extreme conditions. Again I am hoping that I will be around in a year or two to keep using, learning and reporting on these and maybe even other machines.

Hello. Help solve the issue. Sometimes the device randomly starts rattling (it looks like interference) and the battery charge indicator twitches. At the same time, there are no significant sources of interference nearby.
Changing the sensitivity and threshold tone does not change anything. You have to shake the device sharply and sometimes it helps, but not always, also if you reset the settings to factory settings, sometimes it helps, but not always. This problem is not on one of my MX 5 devices, a friend also has the same device and the same thing sometimes happens. What could be the problem? Replacing the coils does not help, the device spontaneously does this whenever it wants...

The fact that you have two of the same machines doing the same thing there must be an external source as the problem. I'd look at EVERYTHING. Do you both carry cell phones. What in the area could be a problem.....Cell phone tower? Some kind of radio interference...Nearby radio station (if those still exist). Maybe a neighbor is a Ham Radio fanatic. There could be many reasons. Anyway that's :my2cents:

Back
Top Bottom