F-44 reviews with alternate coils?

RockCore

Elite Member
Anybody using one with other than the standard coil? I've seen a few reviews but nothing much with a DD coil, sniper type coil, etc. I really figured there'd be quite a few detailed reviews using different coils.

RockCore: I have 3 hunts with my F44 with the 7" coil. I got both 11" and the 7" from the F11. I like small coils 5"-8". I have used the F70 for some years. I am a coin hunter and I pop coins out with a screwdriver. The F44 is so different it is going to take me some time to get to know the F44. I am running jewelry mode and have dropped the Sens down from Sens@12 factory setting to Sens@5. I was digging down to the mat under the chips with setting of Sens@12. I am having a time getting close to poles. About 7" head on and about 4" parallel to poles before motor boating sound. I am working on improving that, it will take a lot more hunting time. But that is what I do is hunt coins. Here is the first hunt.....Hope this helps.....Happy trails.....Z

Attachments

• PA170004.jpg
    PA170004.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 213
Thanks. My buddy has a 44 and was wondering if a DD coil would give him some extra depth. It's his first detector so he's still learning like me (Ace350). Are those coils you have DD coils?

Thanks. My buddy has a 44 and was wondering if a DD coil would give him some extra depth. It's his first detector so he's still learning like me (Ace350). Are those coils you have DD coils?

DD coils might give you a bit more depth in mineralized soil, and they do have that longer scanning field.
Concentric coils deal with the pop top problem better but there are techniques you can use with DD coils in infested sites that work pretty well, too.

RockCore your friend probably has the 11" tear drop coil, it is a concentric coil. The 11" is still in the box never taken out yet. I have been monkeying around with different settings on the F44. With the 7" coil I dug a nickle that was deeper than the top of the Lesche handle. The settings were Sens@10 in the AM mode. All the F44 did was give me a faint signal with no reading for TID. With a new detector I run factory settings until I can get the feel of the detector and than I start to experiment with other settings. The numbers seem to jump around but at this point in time the only thing I am interested in is the sounds. I dig mostly every good signal. I like to keep it simple and learn just small parts at a time. Tell your friend it is a fun detector to use and it gives you a lot of information to use.
Digger27 wow that is a lot of pennies. You Win... I take my wife out to eat with our pennies also. We do end up eating out a few times during the winter. It is good to hear from you.......Z

Again thanks for the info. We're both new to this so we both are learning. My Ace came with a DD coil so that's all I know. I think he's seen some YouTube videos that didn't show great depth with the 44 and got a little worried. I think he just needs more practice (as do I) and just has to get on a good site. I think we both are hoping for those really deep finds, when really so far my best finds have been less than 6". We've been talking about detecting for years and now wish we would've started sooner! We're hooked!

RockCore: About 97% of my finds are in the 1"-4" range. I have a little over 4,300 coins this summer. I have gotten a number of good jewelry pieces gold/silver and a number of silver coins. Just go out and detect and have fun. Coins and jewelry and will show up with a lot of other pleasant surprises. .......Z

Back
Top Bottom