Best shovel under 24” total length?

Trekker519

I need a shovel that can fit in my suitcase which is about 24” total length diagonally in the bag. What would my best bet be? I am possibly digging small holes that are up to a foot or so deep so I would want it as long as possible. How is the 18” letsche for this? Too short for digging that deep?

The Sampson mini-18 is perfect.

I like mine. I have both the 18" and the 31" Sampsons. I haven't used the 31" since i got the 18". It doesn't draw attention to you like a larger shovel does.
m1c.jpg

I need a shovel that can fit in my suitcase which is about 24” total length diagonally in the bag. What would my best bet be? I am possibly digging small holes that are up to a foot or so deep so I would want it as long as possible. How is the 18” letsche for this? Too short for digging that deep?

Won't one of the various Digger manufactors do a custom length one for you?

If not, maybe buy the 31" and get it cut down to 23" and re-welded locally???

Won't one of the various Digger manufactors do a custom length one for you?

If not, maybe buy the 31" and get it cut down to 23" and re-welded locally???

Great idea. I think that's exactly what I'll do. I was looking at the 18" Mini-Sampson as well as the Predator Tools Model 69 - The Spike - Mini-Shovel and the Model 77 - Little MAC - Mini-Shovel at $75/each shipped. I like the Model 77 the best, but for $75, not so much. I can cut down the 31" Sampson to what I want and have it welded for considerable less...

Great idea. I think that's exactly what I'll do. I was looking at the 18" Mini-Sampson as well as the Predator Tools Model 69 - The Spike - Mini-Shovel and the Model 77 - Little MAC - Mini-Shovel at $75/each shipped. I like the Model 77 the best, but for $75, not so much. I can cut down the 31" Sampson to what I want and have it welded for considerable less...

How often do you intend to use the spade? If its for a one-off trip or otherwise fairly infrequently, have a look at the Roughneck Mini spades if you get them over there...I've had one for a while and repurposed it for metal detecting when I got into this...They are about 28" long but it would be easy to remove the D handle yourself at home and then reattach it after cutting the shaft down a few inches...Best of all, the shovels go for about $15 so are almost disposable so to speak...

For that price you even get a tempered blade and I mine has held up fine for a variety of digging tasks and it seems reasonably strong as long as you do not try to pry large rocks or otherwise abuse it...

It find it works fine in pasture and lighter soils but in fairness it might well struggle in really hard stony ground.

It would also be lighter than an all stainless steel digger which might be a consideration when travelling...

Back
Top Bottom