Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

Tpmetal

Elite Member
So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead skunked, not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.

While I agree, their howls, yips etc are unnerving, attacks on humans by coyote's are extremely rare. Almost unheard of. Generally only if rabid, trapped or cornered. Loud noise is a good repellent.

You need to pee on all the trees around there to show them who's the alpha!

Not one interesting item in 4 years of detecting???

Maybe you could find a club or a hunting partner or hit up some parks or tot-lots.

Mix it up?

Happy hunting...

um

Hunting at night? Time restraints I guess. Indeed it is sad to be skunked. have coyotes here and not bad when they are alone. As for carrying a gun.....not. Hockey stick shaft does the trick and won't get me arrested!

May your next dig be your........best.

I think he was saying he usually does come back with at least one interesting item but got skunked on this particular hunt.

Hopefully your next hunt is more productive!

I think he was saying he usually does come back with at least one interesting item but got skunked on this particular hunt.

Hopefully your next hunt is more productive!

Definitely what he's saying. Can you imagine hunting for four years and never finding anything ? I could find something in four years waving a stick over the ground.

You need to pee on all the trees around there to show them who's the alpha!

Not one interesting item in 4 years of detecting???

Maybe you could find a club or a hunting partner or hit up some parks or tot-lots.

Mix it up?

Happy hunting...

no i meant this is the first time I've found nothing on a hunt. I always get at least one interesting item, but not this time

Hunting at night? Time restraints I guess. Indeed it is sad to be skunked. have coyotes here and not bad when they are alone. As for carrying a gun.....not. Hockey stick shaft does the trick and won't get me arrested!

May your next dig be your........best.

our coyotes bred with red wolf or something in the past. they readily pack up and act more like wolves. not your average coyote, a few years back a 75 lb one was shot over the hill from me.

While I agree, their howls, yips etc are unnerving, attacks on humans by coyote's are extremely rare. Almost unheard of. Generally only if rabid, trapped or cornered. Loud noise is a good repellent.

the thing is howls are fine and don't bother me. It is the little yips of the 10 others on my flanks that is a problem. The one is just making noise to distract your attention while the others hunt you and check you out. Ive encountered them many many times. But only hunted by them like this 3 times now. The one time I ran up a near by tree stand and a few minutes later they came rolling by with their nose to the ground sniffing my path.

Get you a donkey OP, he can haul you and your gear to the site, and keep the coyotes away. 'course then you'll need to dress like an old prospector :D

Gauntlet, I think you may have inadvertently stumbled upon your own solution. Get you a donkey, it'll keep coyotes away and it'll answer your earlier post about "who hunts a distance from their vehicle".

Wished I had them come to me like that because I like hunting them, but when hunt them they almost always stay too far out

I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit.

Assuming you're in the USA, which state? Chances are you can open carry in the woods but I am sure you've looked all that stuff up.

I carry because of the danger from two-legged tweakers over any animal that might get me here in NC. But yes, I too have been surrounded by howling Coyotes as well and, while I'm certain they were not hunting me, it was a rather hair-raising experience. In fact we were camping in the middle of nowhere (in AZ) and their yipping and dirt kicking woke us from a dead sleep. I nearly shot through the tent but I didn't want to hit my truck. :laughing:

I carry because of the danger from two-legged tweakers...

I had one try to sneak up on me last night. Was at a park last night about 10pm, still relatively early - I thought - because there were still joggers out. Not the best neighborhood, loose dogs and small wild animals near. About 10 minutes in I'm ferviously digging deep, full attention on a quarter signal.

Detector to one side, flashlight to the other, pinpointer in left hand, digger going hard in right hand flinging woodchips to and fro. Just then, I hear shuffling behind me. Startled, I let out an "Ugh!" as I grab the flashlight and stand-spin around almost loosing my balance as some jackwad strides to hide behind a close tree about 12 ft away. The tree is so thin, it can't even fully hide him.

I gather my man voice back, and growl, "Muther F'er, Can I Help You!?!?!" white knuckling the digger at my side and flashlight beaming on the half of his body that can't hide from behind the tree. Dumb ass says "uh, have you seen a girl out here?"

We both know damn well there ain't nobody out here. Not anyone or any reason to be that close to anyone anyways. So I say, "yeah, I did...over there, WAY over there!..." signaling with my flashlight to get the hell away from me. He did the march of death in the direction I signaled, not wanting to show his face and I kept him lit for about 50 yards as he walked away.

That's the one time I can think of that I was glad I didn't have a gun with me. When he truly startled me, I probably would have shot!

Back
Top Bottom