Headphone wire problem

Beachscanner

In Memory Of
I bought an Exall ii used and used it this season, It came with Peltor headphones which looked to be, dare I say it, a hack job. Anyway while detecting on the beach yesterday the volume kept on cutting out. Does anyone know of a ballpark number of sending the unit out for repair?
Advise welcome.

I would buy a set of Gray Ghost Amphibian's from Detector Pro and install them. I can post pictures on how to if you need...they run around 150. or I would send those to Excal Dave in Florida but by the time all the shipping is paid and done you maybe over what you want to pay...

I would buy a set of Gray Ghost Amphibian's from Detector Pro and install them. I can post pictures on how to if you need...they run around 150. or I would send those to Excal Dave in Florida but by the time all the shipping is paid and done you maybe over what you want to pay...

Thanks Joe. That video would be great

About $300 from kelleyco. Joe really makes it easy in his vedios to just fix those pelters.

Double check that it isn't the battery wire at the connector. I thought I had a headphone problem on my excel II and it was actually the wire to the battery had a break on one of the leads. Try wiggling the wire at the battery connector to see if it cuts in and out, if it does cut in and out, then most likely you will have to take the connector apart (not very difficult to do) de-solder the wires from the pins, cut out the broken section of wire and re-solder the wires to the pins.
Would hate to see you put new phones on and still have the problem.
I've read where others have had the same problem with the battery wire.
Good luck and HH

Double check that it isn't the battery wire at the connector. I thought I had a headphone problem on my excel II and it was actually the wire to the battery had a break on one of the leads. Try wiggling the wire at the battery connector to see if it cuts in and out, if it does cut in and out, then most likely you will have to take the connector apart (not very difficult to do) de-solder the wires from the pins, cut out the broken section of wire and re-solder the wires to the pins.
Would hate to see you put new phones on and still have the problem.
I've read where others have had the same problem with the battery wire.
Good luck and HH

Good Point! I know mine does that when I bump the battery wire sometimes...but when mine cuts out it has a "bonk' sound...or maybe when it kicks back in..

Last edited:
Pictures on how.. Order your GGA's, cut the end garrett end off of them. Then pull the endcap off the Excalibur pod. cut all as shown in the first pic..

Attachments

• OBN0084.jpg
    OBN0084.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 313
Second hone out the endcap for the fitting of the new GGA's

Attachments

• OBN0085.jpg
    OBN0085.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 312
The GGA's will have two wires when you strip them, red and black.. connect them to the little white connector once the wire is pushed thru the endcap..solder. Pull back thru to the correct length, tighten the Heyco fitting or pig tail fitting Then use some two part epoxy to seal all...

Any question just drop me a line.. I have a endless picture and video library

Attachments

• OBN0086.jpg
    OBN0086.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 312
Headphone replacement made easy..... brought to you by Joe.:lol: Dang he makes it look so eazy. What kind of epoxy do you recommend? Personally, id go INSIDE those GGA and use a little more RTV silicone if you plan on getting them real wet. Regular silicone doesnt stick well.

GGA for garret wires

:?::?:
I am little confused, and need some help. This GGA has 4 wires black, red, white, and one pure copper (shielding?) . How can i solder to Amphenol connector, if I would like for use on it CTX and Excalibur?
I saw in OBN's video the black and pure copper has cut off, only white and red connected to excal inner connector. If i want use for CTX need all of wires soldered to Amphenol connector I think.

(4)
The GGA's will have two wires when you strip them, red and black.. connect them to the little white connector once the wire is pushed thru the endcap..solder. Pull back thru to the correct length, tighten the Heyco fitting or pig tail fitting Then use some two part epoxy to seal all...

Any question just drop me a line.. I have a endless picture and video library

Attachments

• gga_garret_wires.jpg
    gga_garret_wires.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 202
  • OBN_video.jpg
    OBN_video.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 200
I have a pair of GGAs and one ear went out on me. The ear without the connecting wire. Any suggestions? Opened up that side and don't see any damage but I really don't know what to look for. Easy home fix or send out for repair? Really love the GGAs

Thanks

Tim...... 3 wires have to be used on the CTX..... only 2 on the Xcal. BUT..... if you have both machines set it up for the CTX. Notice the jumper for the two wires. I just run the lead across those pins.

Attachments

• 20160410_173750.jpg
    20160410_173750.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 163
Tim...... 3 wires have to be used on the CTX..... only 2 on the Xcal. BUT..... if you have both machines set it up for the CTX. Notice the jumper for the two wires. I just run the lead across those pins.

Thanks Dew, I'm getting to old to remember the answers anymore so glad someone else is there and remembers....:oldguy:

I have a pair of GGAs and one ear went out on me. The ear without the connecting wire. Any suggestions? Opened up that side and don't see any damage but I really don't know what to look for. Easy home fix or send out for repair? Really love the GGAs

Thanks

Easy fix, just start at the other ear cup and replace the crossover wire then replace the piezo buzzer.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/APS4812B-LW100-R/668-1190-ND/1738483

And seal all good....RTV..Hot glue...etc..

Dewcon and OBN, thank you very much for your help!:bowdown:

If I am understand corretly, only have to use the RED and Black wire.
What is the White wire in the GGA cable?

The Excal is mine,the CTX is my buddy's MD, we want try Amphibian on it both. The problem, the is CTX far from me, that the reason why I can't test.

Back
Top Bottom