Wheat Pennies, What's The Big Deal?

I think it's (generally speaking) more along the lines of the longer you've been detecting, the more you find, the less of a big deal it becomes.

I get a big a kick of a newbie finding them and posting about it, than I do finding them myself, because I know how it felt when I started detecting, ditto with digging lots of clad...still fun to do.

As mentioned, I'm more interested in the "era" than the Wheaties. Silver doesn't trip my trigger as much as it used to, unless it's Barber and before.

That said, I'll take Wheaties over nothing anyday.....and my last couple hunts, that's (Wheats) all that saved me :laughing:

"Silver doesn't trip my trigger as much as it used to, unless it's Barber and before."

Silver triggers me, inspiring, yet Roseys are at the bottom of my list. I've been lucky lately in finding Barbers, V-nickels, Indians, but that is getting very "far and few between." A Wheat barely tickles by fancy.

My location makes Wheats a small prize, even though I go hunts with out one.

Thanks. All good posts ;-)

I like wheat pennies, just because they are old. I like silver dimes, not because they are worth more than a dime, just because they are old. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be pretty excited to find some treasure worth a lot of money, but I didn't get into metal detecting to make money. I went into it to go out and find things. Pretty much anything I find is fun, and wheat pennies are a lot more fun to find than a lot of things I dig up.

People like finding them because they are no longer in circulation, have a cool reverse design and are old (pre-1959). Yeah there is a lot out there and I have found many but everyone is fun to me! Now a 1960 memorial! Blah! Seen that reverse design in change every day! Who cares about the lowly memorial, right?! But some day they will speak of copper memorials just like they do wheats! Never a zinc though!!
They're not even making memorials anymore... copper or zinc.

Interesting thread here

Growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I would with some regularity come across a wheat in my change. Even though they were usually common dates, I was so excited! The first thing I would do was open up my album and look to “fill a hole.” So for me it is the hunt/reliving a piece of my childhood. I understand what you are saying though, I get more excited finding a wheat than a clad quarter. Heck a clad quarter would buy at least 5, maybe 8 common wheats at a coin store! :laughing:

They're not even making memorials anymore... copper or zinc.

Yes the next generation will see the copper memorials like a wheat. Just this past year I have seen a dramatic descrease in circlualted copper memorials coin roll hunting.

Growing up in the late 70s and early 80s I would with some regularity come across a wheat in my change. Even though they were usually common dates, I was so excited! The first thing I would do was open up my album and look to “fill a hole.” So for me it is the hunt/reliving a piece of my childhood. I understand what you are saying though, I get more excited finding a wheat than a clad quarter. Heck a clad quarter would buy at least 5, maybe 8 common wheats at a coin store! :laughing:

Back when I was about 10 I got into coin collecting a little and got the two books for memorial cents from 1909 to the 40's and the one after that went to the 60's.
Also a nickel book.
I would fill in the spaces with common change I came across but it was a slow process.
My wonderful grandparents didn't have a whole lot of money but they knew about my new hobby so for a couple of years as a birthday present they would go to the bank and get a bunch of one cent rolls and empty them out into one of those old cigar boxes and fill it up half to 3/4's of the way to the top.
I was essentially doing coin roll hunting way back in the mid 60's.
There was not another present they could have given me that would have given me more joy and pleasure and I had hours of fun going though all of them filling in those spaces.
I ended up filling up the modern book easily and much of the older one too but there were still many spaces that needed to be filled in that older one.
Eventually other things became more important in my life and I put those books away and forgot about them but for some reason I kept them through my entire life...these are the only things I still have left in my possession from my childhood and I have dragged them with me from place to place and move to move for many decades.
After getting into this hobby I eventually started to find some older wheat cents and I took out those old books and started to see if there was an empty space I could fill.
Most of the time I didn't need them but every once in awhile I would come across an old nickel that would fill a space and more than one wheat cent that had a lonely empty spot just waiting for a coin for so long...or I found a coin that was in better condition than one I already had so I replaced it.
Every time that happened the warm feelings I had thinking about my grandparents, now long gone, came rushing back and still does to this day.

So for me finding a few specific wheat cents are more than special...they are attached to a wonderful time in my life from long ago and this hobby has helped me relive that time and once again restarted a 50+ year journey filling those books.
This hobby is so meaningful to me in so many ways but this small part of it, and those missing wheat cents I might find, are a an extra special bonus for me.

back in the 70's and 80's in Georgia/Tennessee, I found them all the time and it was like finding Zincolns now. Here in Florida now, I find a wheat for every 600 to a thousand pennies. I guess the scarcity makes it a big deal for me now.

I kinda like finding wheats,especially when its a rare one, or older.
I think i will put the 40s and 50s back into circulation.

Back when I was about 10 I got into coin collecting a little and got the two books for memorial cents from 1909 to the 40's and the one after that went to the 60's.
Also a nickel book.
I would fill in the spaces with common change I came across but it was a slow process.
My wonderful grandparents didn't have a whole lot of money but they knew about my new hobby so for a couple of years as a birthday present they would go to the bank and get a bunch of one cent rolls and empty them out into one of those old cigar boxes and fill it up half to 3/4's of the way to the top.
I was essentially doing coin roll hunting way back in the mid 60's.
There was not another present they could have given me that would have given me more joy and pleasure and I had hours of fun going though all of them filling in those spaces.
I ended up filling up the modern book easily and much of the older one too but there were still many spaces that needed to be filled in that older one.
Eventually other things became more important in my life and I put those books away and forgot about them but for some reason I kept them through my entire life...these are the only things I still have left in my possession from my childhood and I have dragged them with me from place to place and move to move for many decades.
After getting into this hobby I eventually started to find some older wheat cents and I took out those old books and started to see if there was an empty space I could fill.
Most of the time I didn't need them but every once in awhile I would come across an old nickel that would fill a space and more than one wheat cent that had a lonely empty spot just waiting for a coin for so long...or I found a coin that was in better condition than one I already had so I replaced it.
Every time that happened the warm feelings I had thinking about my grandparents, now long gone, came rushing back and still does to this day.

So for me finding a few specific wheat cents are more than special...they are attached to a wonderful time in my life from long ago and this hobby has helped me relive that time and once again restarted a 50+ year journey filling those books.
This hobby is so meaningful to me in so many ways but this small part of it, and those missing wheat cents I might find, are a an extra special bonus for me.

Really good post. Thank you.

Ok, I got proud of my myself for finding wheats after I first started detecting. I do understand that wheats indicate silver coin lost in that area.

Don't many of us make a wheat find an overblown event though, post the find as a highlight of the day? Hunt comes to an end and some general dated wheat penny gets top billing. Metal detecting hobby looks silly enough to non detectors as it is. Aren't we all adding to their view when we holler about finding a wheat penny?

I've accumulated many wheats, and automatically look at my penny finds, looking to see if it is a wheat. Me, I don't holler about a wheat anymore...it's a casual comment at most now.

So, except for wheats indicating a silver could be nearby, and they are somewhat older coins, but beyond that,,,what is the big deal?

This came recently to me when answering questions to kids asking about wheats. Other than the wheat suggesting silver,,,I didn't have much of any valid answer for grown men making accolades when they find a wheat.

I agree with you. Wheats are a step better than zincs , but other than being indicators of possible silver and having more key dates than later pennies they really aren't a big deal. If a wheat is the high point of a particular hunt then I am atleast glad I found one but generally speaking I hardly ever find them to be worth mentioning.

I love finding them. Sure after I dig up 5+ it's not as exciting, but it makes me feel hope that the hunt will produce more stuff. For me the wheat cent is that extra little push to keep me going. I'm always thinking "Ohhh a wheat penny! Maybe it will be older then my 1910." For me I just love digging up something old, and always trying to beat my current dates on each coin. Personally I'm not in for extremely valuable stuff, I just love collecting old stuff. Also stuff dug out of the ground has an extremely historical look to it once cleaned up, which I love. So the wheat penny is welcome in my bag any day lol.

[...] Don't many of us make a wheat find an overblown event though, post the find as a highlight of the day? Hunt comes to an end and some general dated wheat penny gets top billing. Metal detecting hobby looks silly enough to non detectors as it is. Aren't we all adding to their view when we holler about finding a wheat penny? [...]

Eh. Let people have their joy.

I've only found a few so far (9) so it's still exciting to find a 65+yr old coin. Also it's fun to put a 1942 or 1945 penny into its historical context. And it's nice feedback that the research has got me to some relatively old dirt.

Admittedly my inner ten-year old is easily excited by finding just about anything old/out of the ordinary...

I love them wheaties. Every time I get one dated in the early 1900's it reminds me of the movie "Somewhere in time". Steve Reeves finds an old coin in his pocket and is taken back to the date of the coin. I especially love the ones that have taken on a rich dark chocolate look with or without the patina. Wheats dated in the 50's don't excite me too much though.

That's awesome

I put most of my dug wheats back into circulation hoping that a kid will find it and start collecting.

That's awesome. I'm gonna do the same if it's a duplicate year of one of mine.

If folks keep introducing bills to eliminate the penny. ALL pennies will be a fun find for our grand kids. Then folks will wish they kept them

I just saw on wiki. that it costs 1.4 cents to make a penny. So it's gonna happen sooner or later look at Canada...

That's awesome. I'm gonna do the same if it's a duplicate year of one of mine.

If folks keep introducing bills to eliminate the penny. ALL pennies will be a fun find for our grand kids. Then folks will wish they kept them

I just saw on wiki. that it costs 1.4 cents to make a penny. So it's gonna happen sooner or later look at Canada...

I agree, not long before the penny fades away!

I too am a victim of "wheatie excitement". You just never know where one will turn up. Found this one as a surface find while detecting a newer school the other day. :shrug::grin::shrug:

Attachments

• IMAG0643.jpg
    IMAG0643.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom