It is ever too cold to go MD ?

Oh, but I was younger

20 years ago nothing would stop me. Not anymore :(

I was out on a cold day and found my handle very slippery. I figured I had painted my handle with too much urethane but finally realized it was water freezing on the handle! Later I found out it was 28 degrees :D

Chuck

Attachments

• chuck detecting winder.jpg
    chuck detecting winder.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 100
If I walk outside and think, "Damn, it is cold" - it is too cold for me to hunt.

I'm my own "human thermometer" too, especially the cold. I kept hinting here in Texas when heat indexes were over 100. The wind was my friend so I'd skip calm days. Just the opposite with cold. Cold is COLD! My hands quit working when it hits toward freezing. No fun :(

I'm my own "human thermometer" too, especially the cold. I kept hinting here in Texas when heat indexes were over 100. The wind was my friend so I'd skip calm days. Just the opposite with cold. Cold is COLD! My hands quit working when it hits toward freezing. No fun :(

I use to enjoy snowboarding. Now, I find it is simply just too cold out most days to bother even hitting the slopes. No wonder people retire and move to Florida - as I get older, and older, I become less and less tolerant to the cold.

I love hunting in the cold. I have all the right gear and there is nobody else around.
Cold tends to weed out the part timers and sissies.

I agree, hunting in what folks call 'cold' is the best time to be out...the HEAT is what will flat ruin a hunt, anything above 80 degrees and its painful, especially if the Sun is out......
Dress right for the cold, the World is yours!

Irons I'm just a sissie that loves the warm water and heat. That's why I moved to FL.

Mud Man the hotter it gets the more I like to hunt. The FL sissies stay home when the heat hits 85. But the beach is packed and I go days and never see another detector. They are home watching soap opera's.

It's never too cold to hunt. If the dirt under the leaves in the woods finally gets frozen or covered in a foot of snow, then I'll hit the beach, either on the slope following the tide out...or else bust thru the slush and hunt in the water:shock:

Where's that pic you took of me back in the day, hunting in a blizzard. I call it the slurpee hunt. I remember breaking up huge sheets of ice and pushing them out of the way to get the coil down.

When it gets down to freezing here in SoCal (about 70 degrees f) we turn on our heaters. Lol!
Yesterday it was 85 and the day before 93 degrees so with solid mild to warm conditions almost year round we take the opportunity to hunt most of the time.

You must be asking those up North...... cause for us in Fl..... we just HOPE someone ... anyone put up their machine for the winter.:laughing:

Nothing worse than getting a good signal and the ground is too frozen to recover it. Now I do hunt my tot lots all winter long.

ground freezes solid easily a foot deep here, and it was already a bear to dig in with the clay and rock. So winter detecting is a no go here....I literally lose my mind. plus side though, the freeze moves targets around giving sites a new life every hard winter.

Where's that pic you took of me back in the day, hunting in a blizzard. I call it the slurpee hunt. I remember breaking up huge sheets of ice and pushing them out of the way to get the coil down.
It was this hunt...here's George...
And this was me hunting in the Slurpee that day:lol:

Dress properly and know your limits.

I stay in at 35F air temp, but will break ice to detect in fresh water.
I have had to push 3 feet (depth) of slush away in salt water to detect.
Conditions dictate swim suit, shorty, breathable waders, full body suit 2 mil
or 4 mil or 5 mil waders. Summer sun always dictates UPF 35/50 certified long sleeved shirt between the hours of 9am and 5pm. Nitrile coated gloves to keep my ring from falling off (:laughing:), ease the grip on the detector and scoop.

Other protection may be necessitated by bacteria, green algae, clam diggers itch, red tide, swimmer's itch...etc.

Here in Florida it’s too cold to hunt when the temperatures drop into the low 70s.

But I tough it out by wearing a long sleeved tee shirt and socks with my sandals...

And, if/when, that does happen...

I take the boat and go fishing...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20150310_010456.jpg
    IMG_20150310_010456.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom