Cherry picking done, now the testing.

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Well after having hunted our 130+ year old city park with every detector from the old TR Discriminators to the newest top of the line machines but cherry picking, it's time for the test. I've pretty much run out of places to hunt so now is the time to put my belief in my cherry picking skills to the test.

Our city park has a !!!! load of trash. 130+ years worth. My plan now is to plot out and area and clean out every signal to see if I really have missed all these goodies I've been told of.

I will document each and every hunt and show what I find for my time and trouble. I'm as curious as you are as to what I might have, or not, missed.

Looking forward to the updates! Hoping you missed a bunch of treasure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

..... plot out and area and clean out every signal to see if I really have missed all these goodies I've been told of....

Grid out an area, strip mine, and report the results to us :)

Reminds me of a turn of the century park in San Jose CA where someone did this years ago. Back in the "silver rush cherry pick days" of the late 1970s and early 1980s, everyone was running out to the parks with their 6000d's, cranking the disc. (to pass foil and tabs) and just shooting for silver in the junky urban parks.

So by the mid 1990s, a buddy of mine, who'd pulled a lot of silver from a particular area, wondered "what else is there that's masked?" and "I wonder how much gold jewelry has been passed with the foil and tabs?" By this time, it was getting hard to find any more silver.

So he made it his mission over the next year or so, to do exactly as you're planning: He gridded off certain square sections at a time, and went all-metal mode digging EVERYTHING (even nails). He kept copious notes, records, etc.... To make a study , charts, graphs, etc.... of the results. He'd go about 2x per week, and suffer hours of painstaking strip-mine exercises. Each time filling his apron with all sorts of nuisance junk.

At the end of his study, he did indeed get 7 or 8 gold items (a few rings, a few charms, perhaps a chain, and so forth). But the price he had paid (the ratio of junk) was such that he decided if gold rings were his goal, his time would have been much better served simply going to the beach. Doh! And sure, he got a handful of nickels. Of which several were V's and buffalos. But they were typically sickly orange-ish brown. Such that EVEN IF THEY HAD been key-dates, they'd have no value . Contrast to silver which comes out nice and clean :)

I don't recall his results on deeper silver or copper that had been masked. But I just recall him vowing never to do such a study again . Doh!

looking forward to the results myself, are you going to state which machine you swung and the numbers for each sliver of metal?

are you going to state which machine you swung and the numbers for each sliver of metal?

Yes. I will try and video as much as possible.

Right now I'm using the AT Pro but I am thinking about upgrading to the F75 SE DST because while the ATP is a great detector, I think the F75 is a bit higher up the food chain for this type of hunting.

Very interesting and I wish you all the mental and physical fortitude which you will need to accomplish this. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was pretty amazed when I found out how long it actually takes to make a 10x10 area in a public park signal free. I spent about 2.5 hours in just one 10x10 area and it wasn't by far one of the trashier areas of the park. Sadly, no deep silver, but, I did find three deep IHs.

Yeah BCK I'm expecting a very long a tedious process, but hey, who knows just what could be there. That park has given up some killer stuff in the last 35 years. Oldest coin was a 1854 seated dime. Then again, IF my cherry picking has been done well there may be little left.

I plan to do live videos of live hunts so it should be interesting.

1854-dime.jpg

Some of the parks history.

Wright-Park-Markers.jpg

Good luck to you. I hope you find something great!
It would be a good time to test more than one machine.
Additionally, knowing you cleared everything from a spot, you could test the idea on soil moister. (Detecting during a dry month or after a rain)
Can't wait for your cherry picking results!

Back
Top Bottom