a little Electrolysis

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Performed some electrolysis for Squeaker's artillery shell piece. Has some dimpling from the corrosion, but I think it came out great. If anyone is on the fence with the process, it definitely is an easy way to clean and preserve things. As always, thanks for looking.

Before

In the tank, setup is a DC Bench Power Supply. Shell is suspended in the metal bucket for better coverage of the current.

After electrolysis, no sealer

Sealed to stop future corrosion

That's as clean as you can get. When that bucket wears through you might want to consider using a piece of corrugated metal bent into a cylinder shape. It works the same way.

That's as clean as you can get. When that bucket wears through you might want to consider using a piece of corrugated metal bent into a cylinder shape. It works the same way.

Thanks, yeah I've looked at a few things. I do the process pretty often, a single bucket will last me a few dozen projects and they are cheap at home depot so I just get a couple to last me a while.

Performed some electrolysis for Squeaker's artillery shell piece. Has some dimpling from the corrosion, but I think it came out great. If anyone is on the fence with the process, it definitely is an easy way to clean and preserve things. As always, thanks for looking.

Before

In the tank, setup is a DC Bench Power Supply. Shell is suspended in the metal bucket for better coverage of the current.

After electrolysis, no sealer

Sealed to stop future corrosion

What did you use to seal it?

Last edited:
What did you use seal it?

A product called Gemplers. It paints on kind of purple and dries clear but it definitely darkens the metal. Is a rust preventer and easier to use than the wax method that a lot of guys run. If you need an exact product number let me know and I'll dig it up when I'm home again.

A product called Gemplers. It paints on kind of purple and dries clear but it definitely darkens the metal. Is a rust preventer and easier to use than the wax method that a lot of guys run. If you need an exact product number let me know and I'll dig it up when I'm home again.

Thank you, please forward the information.

Back
Top Bottom