Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 02-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by coin chaser View post
So whatís that like 4í of snow?!
Heís not exactly diminutive is he?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Supporter

So whatís that like 4í of snow?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Heís not exactly diminutive is he?
Lol he definitely isnít vertically challenged thatís for sure. Unless there is a low door opening.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

Lol he definitely isnít vertically challenged thatís for sure. Unless there is a low door opening.

Hey guys, I've been to his home and he has 2 stage doors. He only opens the bottom for the vertically challenged like me. You know I should tell him when we walk side by side I hate that he pats the top of my head like a trained puppy dog. Trapper

Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jack&jill View post

Hey guys, I've been to his home and he has 2 stage doors. He only opens the bottom for the vertically challenged like me. You know I should tell him when we walk side by side I hate that he pats the top of my head like a trained puppy dog. Trapper

Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
The number of DIFFERENT regulars posting pics of finds or just stories of hunts is down DRAMATICALLY. This makes me think that the majority of thread posters on this section live in areas where winter is a factor in being ABLE to hunt! I donít know what ground conditions are in other areas,or how far away from me the ground is diggable(by normal methods) but Iím bored! Would you people who CAN hunt please go do so?? Threads,videos,stories...I donít care! Donít make me have to start inventing stuff here!
I am in the same frozen boat, haven't seriously hunted since December. I have dug only 3 holes in the last 2 months. Luckily I have the Fire department to keep me busy with 2-6 calls a day. But yeah I am bored and reaaaallly want to detect.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

Supposed to hit 60 in southern New England tomorrow and stay in the 40's for days!

The ground will thaw, I will be out this weekend.

But I do find it easier to post on Instagram (@diggingri) than here. I love seeing others' finds but I don't post here often anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Elite Member

Yup Its been a tough start this year........a lot of single digits through Jan and still hanging in the teens....and we have had a pretty continuous snow cover.....
so so so depressing..........
I'm about an hour south of Buffalo.....typically we can expect a ton of precip off of lake Erie.....the last two winters were extremely mild so I was getting used to hunting a whole bunch in Jan and Feb, but not this year.......

CTX3030. Silver coins: 2018: 51....... 2017: (94) , 2016:116(B-Listers: half reale and seated quarter, two-center)5 Barber Quarters!,6 Seated coins, , 2015:97,2014:70,2013 :30

Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bobac View post
Yup Its been a tough start this year........a lot of single digits through Jan and still hanging in the teens....and we have had a pretty continuous snow cover.....
so so so depressing..........
I'm about an hour south of Buffalo.....typically we can expect a ton of precip off of lake Erie.....the last two winters were extremely mild so I was getting used to hunting a whole bunch in Jan and Feb, but not this year.......
hey your not to far from me keep going about another hour and a half east. let me know if you ever wanna get together to detect.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 PM

I am dying here in Nebraska. Ground has been frozen solid all winter! I went out once and about broke my shovel. Looks like it will be March at least before I get my first actual hunt in...sigghhh. I am so far behind in the silver count for this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by detectorben View post
I am dying here in Nebraska. Ground has been frozen solid all winter! I went out once and about broke my shovel. Looks like it will be March at least before I get my first actual hunt in...sigghhh. I am so far behind in the silver count for this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We hear you buddy! All kinds of records set in Wisconsin this winter,and not good ones! I havenít seen a stretch of BITTER cold as long as this EVER,and Iíve lived here all my life. People claiming global warming this and that...yes,that might be true if all other variables were static,but theyíre not. One little fart from the sun provides millions of times what we have ever burned,or if it dims one iota,the opposite. The weather pattern has had basically little to no upflow from the Gulf of Mexico,which is where any of our winter reprieves come from. Just the fact itís been SO cold means that itís going to take that much more time for the frost to get out of the ground,and I think youíre about right on the time frame,if not longer. I ran out of stuff to do around the house a month ago,so like you,Iím climbing the curtains! Itís been a NASTY winter so far,the roads around here are TOAST!
Hang in man,weíre all in the same frozen boat...

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 PM

I can only get out every other week this winter due to home remodeling, but the weather here in Southern Oregon is great for detecting!

The Good Lord has led me to; one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 5 Standing Liberty half's, 3 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 68 Mercury dimes, 60 Roosevelt dimes, $615 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings, 1 returned gold wedding band

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by goldpaninut View post
I can only get out every other week this winter due to home remodeling, but the weather here in Southern Oregon is great for detecting!
So you are NOT in Idaho? Either way...at least someone can hunt!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 AM

Nope.....moved out of Idaho last summer......guess I'd better change my info!

The Good Lord has led me to; one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 5 Standing Liberty half's, 3 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 68 Mercury dimes, 60 Roosevelt dimes, $615 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings, 1 returned gold wedding band

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Supporter

Smile Join The Club

Hello To All,
I too am frozen fast here in Pennsylvania. I still have some snow cover and my ground is frozen solid. Just put a smaller coil on my AT Pro and I am going to try it in a well hunted outdoor flea market grounds. I may not be able to dig plugs yet but at least I will get a bit of time to learn more about my machine. I have about $60 in clads for the new year and a few silvers and one gold 10K class ring. I think I am a clad magnet, but I am still enjoying the ride. I have little to no competition here where I hunt but have yet to hit good older sites. I haven't hunted for almost a month so I am going to try this morning. I am going bonkers just watching videos and reading these posts. I need to get out and swing the detector. Good luck to all and I hope we all have a great year.
Bubbaron

Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
Hello To All,
I too am frozen fast here in Pennsylvania. I still have some snow cover and my ground is frozen solid. Just put a smaller coil on my AT Pro and I am going to try it in a well hunted outdoor flea market grounds. I may not be able to dig plugs yet but at least I will get a bit of time to learn more about my machine. I have about $60 in clads for the new year and a few silvers and one gold 10K class ring. I think I am a clad magnet, but I am still enjoying the ride. I have little to no competition here where I hunt but have yet to hit good older sites. I haven't hunted for almost a month so I am going to try this morning. I am going bonkers just watching videos and reading these posts. I need to get out and swing the detector. Good luck to all and I hope we all have a great year.
Bubbaron
Thatís the way to do it Bubba! The more signals you can hear and the more swinging you do,the more opportunity you have to know the machine,obviously. We are all potentially clad magnets...and how to avoid being one is a topic starter if you want to start it.
In the meantime,good luck!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Supporter

Smile Today's Results

Hello To All,
I tried my newest coil today for a bit at the flea market grounds. I had several penny signals, one quarter and three dime signals. I did dig the one dime signal and after much distress with the still frozen ground, I was able to find the dime. It turned out to be a 1960 Rosie. I shall return when the ground is thawed. The coin was about 4" deep and it took so serious effort to get down to it. I do have some older site permissions but need easier digging before I try. I am still learning my machine. I used my AT Pro which I do love for coin shooting. I am really looking forward to a good spring thaw. Good luck to all and hope you see some yellow in that hole, not liquid either !!!!
Bubbaron

Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

Doing all I can to keep this place afloat.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Supporter

Smile HOO RAY !! Got to Hunt a bit today.

I finally got to hunt for a couple of hours today. The snow is gone and the ground is pretty well thawed. I hunted a small kiddy park and the perimeter of a little league field. I ended up with 14 quarters, 8 dimes, and 6 pennies, all clad of course. Most of the coins dug today were at least 4-5" deep. I really don't mind digging clads as I know somewhere this year I will finally hit some older sites as I do have some lined up. The temp actually hit 64 here this afternoon. If it doesn't rain too much tomorrow, I have a junior high school to hunt either Sat. or Sunday. I must say I did enjoy getting out today after a month of being a house roach. Hope everyone finally gets to do some MDing soon. Good luck to all.
Bubbaron

Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Supporter

Smile More Snow

Hello,
I did manage to hunt for a short period of time on Sat. morning. I found more clad coins. Nothing exciting and only one wheatie out of all the pennies. Total for Sat. $ 5.77. Still having fun !! We got 6" of snow last night so more waiting for melt and ground drying out again. HELP !! Warm up coming.
Good luck to all and good hunting !!
Bubbaron AT Pro and Whites Treasure Master Pro