Not a freakin' clue...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A tourist knick-knack thingy, has a map of New Jersey etched into one lid.
It mentions the Jersey Turnpike which opened in 1951 so not older than that.
About the size of a pack of cigarettes but way thin, this is NOT a cigarette holder.
When you open it up there is this fancy cutout metal divider and I have no clue what it is for.
It can be used as as a stand to prop it up on a table so you can see the map but that doesn't make much sense and it will lay flat with that pointer able to swivel to either side.
I was thinking maybe a pocket sundial but there are no markings inside...there might have been something printed and inserted at one time but there is no remnant of anything there now.
No rust, might be nickel, seems like I can see brass or copper coming through on the inside.I

Opened up looking at that pointer it looks very familiar for some reason but I just can't place it...then again I might just be crazy.

Anyone that has a clue on this or anything similar will be welcomed.

Attachments

• photostudio_1553434568559.jpg
    photostudio_1553434568559.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 364
  • photostudio_1553434523572.jpg
    photostudio_1553434523572.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 283
  • photostudio_1553434490151.jpg
    photostudio_1553434490151.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 282
Wonder if it's some sort of reciept holder. I used to work in HVAC and the tech's would carry around metal folder like that for their word orders. Since it's smaller than a stanard size piece of paper maybe for hand written reciepts or something. Just a guess.

Wonder if it's some sort of reciept holder. I used to work in HVAC and the tech's would carry around metal folder like that for their word orders. Since it's smaller than a stanard size piece of paper maybe for hand written reciepts or something. Just a guess.

I know exactly what you are talking about, the silver looking metal ones.
This thing fits in your hand so not sure how useful it would be.

It appears to be somewhat flattened and being that there is only one "keeper" it still appears to be a single layer cigarette case. Measure it with a regular sized non filter cigarette.

It appears to be somewhat flattened and being that there is only one "keeper" it still appears to be a single layer cigarette case. Measure it with a regular sized non filter cigarette.

Appreciate your input and tenacity but I already did and as I said way too thin.
Crushed or not crushed look at the pic of the edge.
It is 3/16" wide...5 centimeters.
Virginia Slims were wider than that, all cigarettes are.

Measured it again with the filter up against the edge with the hinge and it is barely wide enough there to hold a cigarette so you actually could be correct.

cigarette case

It's looking closer and closer to your answer being exactly right.
I thought so too, at first, but the thin size fooled me.

I found a pic of another vintage cigarette case that had a map etched into one lid so maybe this was a thing.
Also I found a few old cases with some weird swivel holders in them too.

Probably an old cigarette case after all so...cooooool!

Thanks!

Attachments

• photostudio_1553444729876.jpg
    photostudio_1553444729876.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 276
  • photostudio_1553444975949.jpg
    photostudio_1553444975949.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 274
Back
Top Bottom