• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Square Nails

airdaman69

I found 3 square nails in my yard and a few wheates 1917,1919,1942. When was the last time square nails were used? Still looking for my first silver. I get a good amount of iron masking from all the iron in the ground.

Thanks,
Todd

Some remote places in the country used them up until the turn of the century.

Like OkieDigger says some places still carried square nails into the 1900's. In the early 70's I remember a hardware store in NE MO that still had a mess of square nails that you could purchase, but of course by then no one used them any more. I still have about a dozen brand new ones.

They can still be bought new at some cabinetmakers supply sites. They're listed as "cut nails". I think some like to use the smaller ones in reproduction furniture. My house was built in 1925 and there are cut nails used in some places, but mostly wire nails.

I have a good number of new ones on hand that I use in furniture restoration. There is a place called Tremont Nail that manufactures them. You can also buy rosehead nails if you're in the market for them.

Air - I have dug a lot of them at a couple CW forts. Always wanted to make a display somehow interesting with them. Steve in so az

I don't know about the square nails but if you come up to where I live you can be assured that you will be pulling a horseshoe nail or two out of your tires if you drive around long enough. I live in a very small town with about half of the residents being Amish. The old type Amish, no electricity,no running water,etc. but plenty of horseshoe nails :mad: ! Steve.

Back
Top Bottom