Cache help

If you've ever been in military bootcamp, and had to hand-shovel dig foxholes to even a few feet deep, you'd realize that to dig a hole "5 ft. deep" is a lot of work.

Oh yeah, digging a fox hole in the field, with an entrenching tool is back breaking work, even when you are in prime physical condition. I should know, I dug many of them when I was in the Infantry.

IMHO - Probing is a good idea if you can get the probe to penetrate the soil. You could also try digging test holes. The area your dad dug is “disturbed” and won’t have the same layer profile as the surrounding soil. You might not have to dig very deep to establish the profile. Your dad can tell you how wide the hole was so you determine how much testing you would need. If a test hole shows promise use the probe to find the jars. Good luck...it sounds like a father/son adventure. Tt

Man, oh Man, KT loves these old posts! There was never a follow up story about finding the jars, so KT figures..A. he never found them, B. old man was pulling his leg, C. He found em but being a sorry toot decided not to tell anyone! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT has encountered several of these types of stories in his life. While in college, his roommate came in with a story from an elderly lady about a gold mine on the neighbors property. Naturally we went out to the location...just had new chicken houses built over it.

Also a fellow called my office one day, said he had found a new deposit of diamonds in Arkansas, near his home in Malvern, AR. Well, we do have diamonds in Arkansas at the Crater of Diamonds so my supervisor and KT visited his home. He had tables of quartz crystals laying around, and when KT asked him where are the diamonds you called about, he said, why man! They are right here in front of you! Here, sign this piece of paper certifying they are diamonds. I turned around and told my supervisor, let's get out of here, and told him, don't bother to call us again.

One instance of KT digging holes and disposing of materials. KT used to do blasting years ago with tovex, a plastic explosive. But tovex has a shelf life and then becomes inert. So out of a 50 stick box, KT had 18 sticks left over that had gone bad. Contacted the people His Majesty had bought it from, and they would not take it back for disposal. Contacted my pardner in my blasting efforts and he said, yes the stuff is inert, just burn it. Tried that but it just set there, the plastic wrapper burned off but the stuff was just like clay, totally inert. So KT took his handy posthole digger, went behind the Royal Barn and dug about 10 holes 3.5 feet deep each, then dropped 2 sticks in each hole, back filled them and put a rock on top of each hole before covering up with soil. This is in the woods, now covered with 6 inches of leaf litter and pine needles. By the way, my friend tossed his extra in a bayou in south Arkansas, which I would never do. Tovex has small b-bs of special formula trace elements. That is how the Feds track it if used in explosives illegally back to when it was purchased and where. At least mine is buried where it is unlikely anyone will ever come across it...and being inert, they would not know what it was anyway since KT removed the plastic wrappers and burned them! :lol::lol:

Yep, sounds like someone's leg is getting pulled, especially since his dad knows his hobby...why of course that is why he buried it so deep! :lol::lol:

IMHO - Probing is a good idea if you can get the probe to penetrate the soil. You could also try digging test holes. The area your dad dug is “disturbed” and won’t have the same layer profile as the surrounding soil. You might not have to dig very deep to establish the profile. Your dad can tell you how wide the hole was so you determine how much testing you would need. If a test hole shows promise use the probe to find the jars. Good luck...it sounds like a father/son adventure. Tt

Probing is far easier and effective believe me. I've used probes to find buried bottles my whole digging career. Now, once the probe hits something promising, THAT'S when it's shovel time. Digging blind holes only wears you out and discourages you. Ask me how I know. :D Yes, I know an afternoon of probing is bad enough. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom