Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   The Metal Detecting Show
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 11-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Writing letters requesting permission

Anyone have any luck writing letters requesting permission? I have sent out 25 +/- hand written letters along with a small permission slip with and return envelope addressed and stamped. It's been about a month since I mailed the first one, but I still have yet to get anything back.

Anyone have luck with this? What other methods are working for you? I tries message vis social media too. I had one respond with a NO, but otherwise no other responses.

Ideas?

Old 11-24-2020, 01:48 PM

Much more luck knock and face to face smile!

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by rx8driver View post
/thread.

This.
No one will agree to a "letter". It's far too formal.
Wear a decent shirt, be sober, smile and look 'em in the eye. It's the only way.

Oldest Coin: 1788 Connecticut Copper
Oldest Silver: 1839 Seated Dime

Old 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kale1278 View post
Anyone have any luck writing letters requesting permission? I have sent out 25 +/- hand written letters along with a small permission slip with and return envelope addressed and stamped. It's been about a month since I mailed the first one, but I still have yet to get anything back.

Anyone have luck with this? What other methods are working for you? I tries message vis social media too. I had one respond with a NO, but otherwise no other responses.

Ideas?
If you were to join your local historical group you might increase your luck having that credential under your belt.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
If you were to join your local historical group you might increase your luck having that credential under your belt.
Good idea, thank you!

Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 PM

You gotta put yourself in the home owners shoes. Say you get a letter in the mail from somebody you don't know. Even if you open it and read it are you gonna respond ? Most likely you'll just throw it in the trash and move on with your life.
You will ALWAYS do better face to face.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by imukdiver View post
You gotta put yourself in the home owners shoes. Say you get a letter in the mail from somebody you don't know. Even if you open it and read it are you gonna respond ? Most likely you'll just throw it in the trash and move on with your life.
Good Thought, I completely agree. Most, but not all, of the letters I have sent were in cases where the owner does not live on the property (vacant or rental) or its owned by a commercial company. I reckon I will go door knocking on Saturday. Wish me luck!

Old 11-24-2020, 09:54 PM

I've written several letters this year. Most all responded back by email or called. All were polite no's save for one which was an existing acquaintance. Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems. My asking in person or by phone is about 80% positive though. Obviously the covid virus isn't helping things out here with the private permissions. My advice is to seize the moment when you meet someone who has an old property. Try neighbors from those permissions gained.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by kweis View post
I've written several letters this year. Most all responded back by email or called. All were polite no's save for one which was an existing acquaintance. Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems. My asking in person or by phone is about 80% positive though. Obviously the covid virus isn't helping things out here with the private permissions. My advice is to seize the moment when you meet someone who has an old property. Try neighbors from those permissions gained.
I may try the phone call for please where the property is a vacant lot, or commercial. Otherwise, I guess I need to go to the door. Maybe instead for taking 3 -5 steps back i will completely remove myself from the porch, maybe have a mask on that is pulled down a bit so they can see my face...haha.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:18 AM

Just to add that most of the farms around here now are in the name of a corporate body, especially if the property is being rented out. Any property here in an inc or llc are usually automatic no's. Everybody is scared of being sued or you will damage their property somehow albeit unintentionally. Not good.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:55 AM
Elite Member

I think face to face is the way to go, if possible.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Supporter

Ideas?
I only do it if there's no way to introduce myself face to face. Yes, I have had owners email and call me back and received permission. A few a year. It's a lot of effort and has a lower success rate than face to face. As others have said, some people will immediately toss it. But, for those who don't, the content of the letter can really make the difference and you hope you luck out by saying the right things to the right person.

Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 11-25-2020, 11:26 PM

I agree that face to face is the best way to get permissions, although COVID has made it more difficult. Also I tell homeowners that I will show them anything I find and they are welcome to have anything they want( what you show them is up to you). Iíve found that most people that live in an old house are very curious about whatís in the ground so they are likely to say yes when you strike up a conversation with them. Iíve given a lot of stuff away but Iíve found some people are very intrigued by what you find and donít want anything. Also by getting one good permission and forming a good rapport with the owner a lot of times leads to more permissions with the neighbors. Ditch the letters and go face to face. Youíd be surprised how many people are as enthusiastic as you are about history. And if they arenít, move on to the next. Good luck out there

Old 11-26-2020, 06:23 AM
Elite Member

It is harder to say no to a person standing right there, than it is to a letter.

If I got a letter from someone claiming to be a photographer from the historical society, who wanted to photograph my house, I would toss it. Just think of the scam possibilities if nothing else. However, if someone knocked on my door carrying cameras and seemed credibly interested in history and convinced me they were with the historical society, I would say no problem.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by rx8driver View post
Originally Posted by imukdiver View post
Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
I think face to face is the way to go, if possible.
Originally Posted by randy View post
It is harder to say no to a person standing right there, than it is to a letter....
Good answers. Because let's be honest fellows : What do YOU do with junk mail from a total stranger ?? You throw it away, right ? So too will your letter end up in their trash can.

---------------------

..... Main reasons for the no's were liabilities it seems...
..... Everybody is scared of being .....
These are just "polite ways to say 'no' to you". Because even if you whip out a liability insurance policy that you keep on your own self, they will STILL say "no". The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered. And this line is just a polite way to say 'bug off'.

----------------

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
This has been my best tactic. It opens up a lot of doors, and gives a sense of credibility, purpose, etc.... Not to mention name-dropping, back-room archives to exploit in research, etc.... And it's kind of fun to be civically involved, lead tours, man a desk for 6 hrs. per month, etc.....

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
This has been my best tactic. It opens up a lot of doors, and gives a sense of credibility, purpose, etc.... Not to mention name-dropping, back-room archives to exploit in research, etc.... And it's kind of fun to be civically involved, lead tours, man a desk for 6 hrs. per month, etc.....
This^

Old 01-17-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Good answers. Because let's be honest fellows : What do YOU do with junk mail from a total stranger ?? You throw it away, right ? So too will your letter end up in their trash can.

---------------------

These are just "polite ways to say 'no' to you". Because even if you whip out a liability insurance policy that you keep on your own self, they will STILL say "no". The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered. And this line is just a polite way to say 'bug off'.

----------------

Couldn't agree more. ^^^

Old 12-10-2020, 09:48 AM

update.... Tried a new approach, a thank you card (well postcard) . I sent 6 out and with in 10 day had 3 calls granting me permission. I only send 5 cards out. Once this Covid !!!! is better I will try the door knocking. I have met two property owners and it seems most people are pretty interested in what we are finding. Both that I have met don't know the neighbors, as they are investors, but maybe one day I can get a warm referral.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:03 AM
Elite Member

Both that I have met don't know the neighbors, as they are investors, but maybe one day I can get a warm referral.
This reminds me of a silly story that has happened twice. I'm detecting a permission site (owner occupied single family home in a neighborhood), and a neighbor comes over and gives me attitude.

"Do you have permission to be there?"

"No, I just randomly drive around and trespass on people's lawns and dig gopher holes".

You never know who you will meet out there.

I've never actually gotten a neighbor referral, but I tend to stick to the more isolated farmhouses that are old and not in neighborhoods. But, there are some old neighborhoods around here; I've done a bit of it but might be worth more effort (one of the stories above was from a 50s neighborhood, which normally I would not do, but I did find 4 silvers there).

Good luck in any case. I too have not done any door knocking since the virus.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

I haven't tried the snail mail approach, and have only tried the email approach on two occasions last year (due to the controlyavirus). Both were schools. One was a positive response (a public school), and the other email was never answered (private school). And, yea, I know that public schools are "public" property, but with everything going on with the schools, I just feel that getting the OK to hunt is a good idea. JMHO

Now if I can just find a dutch oven full of gold coins!