A self introduction...

RedSox8945

Hello Everyone,

I am new to these boards as well as this hobby, and I find it fascinating. I have done a lot of research about metal detecting and have purchased a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker IV) on a pretty non existant budget (getting married in the fall). The Tracker IV seemed to be the best option based on many reviews, so I went with it. It just arrived in the mail today, and we're getting hit with over a foot of snow tomorrow (western Massachusetts).

I just wanted to say hi, and how much I enjoy reading everybody's finds and hunting tips. It seems to be a very friendly board here, and I look forward to contributing many fun, prosperous posts!

If anyone has any ideas or tips on finding coins/tokens/jewelry, please let me know, as that is my main goal in searching. I mostly do it for the history, research, and new knowledge, but finding a piece of silver or even maybe gold would be an additional thrill for me!

Chad

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby, Chad! This is indeed a very friendly board, and you will find that other members will be more than willing to offer you assistance as you become acquainted with your new detector. You will find many tips and ?how-to? posts throughout the forum, but feel free to post your question(s) if you don?t find what you?re looking for. :grin:

Angel

Welcome to the forum. The Track IV is a good coinshooter and will find gold. It all depends on how you set the discrimination. For coinshooting set the discrimination sensitity at three quarters or where you will pick up zincs or copper pennies. It just depends on whether you want to hunt for zincs. To find gold you will have to drop the discrimination at a lower level. Take a gold ring and set it so that it will pick it up. By doing this you will have to dig a lot of trash. To pinpoint just make an X watching where the swings center. The target will be at the covergance point. You can increase the sensitivity to a just below where there will no falsing, excess noise. The higher the sensitivity will give you more depth. Good luck.

Your snow , my snow Mi Amigo :yes: We've got about 6" on the ground as I write this with a whiteout in progress. Although its fluffy it's still a lot of snow coming down :o( Well it will be a good time to catch up on some reading and research. Good Luck with your new detector and look into the club in your area. Gateway Treasure Hunters I believe.

The Weather

Terry, thank you very much for the valuable input. I printed that info for use alongside my detector's manual. I really appreciate tips from an experienced detector such as yourself!
As for the weather, its hard to tell just how much snow we have here, because the drifts are so strong. The snow is coming down sideways! Oh well, I guess its true, more research is all I can do until all the white stuff melts. And read how other people with better weather are doing out there!

Chad

welcome

Chad,

Welcome to the Forum. I thought you were going to say you didn't have money because you were spending too much money on Sox tickets like me :lol:
I'm in RI and new to detecting as well (boy is it addicting) and am probably the hugest Sox fan ever. (Going to Ft Myers in 3 weeks to catch 3 spring training games) Although with my new addiction I am now driving my wife crazy because I am thinking of taking the ole MD with me to FL :lol:
I am looking forward to meeting fellow MD'ers in the area to go hunting with. Maybe we'll hook up with other locals in the future. Anyway welcome to the forum again, HH, and GO SOX!

Rolie...

Well, I DO have too many Sox tickets! I am a 10th man plan holder, but I stash money away for those in the off season. Going to Spring Training has always been a dream of mine, maybe someday I will have the chance after we're married and settled down for a bit (and if she lets me!).
You know, I think I would enjoy connecting with other detectors in the area at some point. That would be a valuable learning experience for me. I'm bummed about all this snow right now, though. I had a big case of Spring Fever, and now its gone again. Its Killin' me! I guess I can still do more research for now.

Chad

Hi Chad, and welcome to the forum! I'm a Rhode Islander, and a Sox and Pats fan too! My older detector is a Pioneer 101, and it found quite a bit of good stuff for me before I got my Garrett ACE250. Be prepared to dig a lot of junk in order to find the good stuff, as the Pioneer 101 doesn't discriminate to well, at least in my opinion. I would run it in All Metal mode to get the best depth, and just get used to digging everything. Also, get yourself a good set of headphones if you haven't already and got digging! Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your finds! HH!

Back
Top Bottom