Newbie from Bucks County, Pa.

Ophiuchus

Hello everyone,

This is my very first posting and I am totally new to metal detecting. I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I’m 50 years old and I am a retired flight attendant. I’m also an amateur astronomer and enjoy spending time outside looking at the night sky with my telescope. I also do some Astrophotography.

Anyhow, I received a White’s MXT metal detector about 6 years ago as a birthday present but never had the chance to use it. I recently found it stored in my basement and I would like to learn how to use it.

I live in Perkasie and if anyone here in Bucks County wants to get together to show me how to use it, I will appreciate it. Just let me know.

Thanks to admin for accepting my request. Hope to get to meet some of you soon.

Regards,
Ophiuchus

Last edited:
Great, thank you. Let me know. I don’t think they sell the one I have anymore but it’s perfect for me to learn it. Once I know how to use it, I’ll upgrade it to a better one.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

I'm not familiar with that model myself, but here's some instruction videos I found on youtube, part 1 of two different series.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Howdy from Chester County. I don't know your machine so can't help ya there. Watch videos about your machine and make a test garden. A test garden, simply put, is burying known items, at known locations and depths. A silver dime, a nickle, a small brass piece, a nail, a pull tab for instance. Google "making a test garden for metal detecting", it'll give you the idea. It will help you with figuring your machine out, settings, sounds, swing speed etc. It's not as complicated as it may sound.
You'll also need a good digger, I love my Lesche, for a small shovel, a Sampson 31 inch tee handle. A pin pointer also is, in my book, a necessity. Many are available but I really like my "Garret Carrot". To start, you can get away without one and use a small garden spade but proper tools speed up recovery and negate a lot of frustration.
Last but not least, get out there and try it. Practice, practice, practice.
Best of luck and Happy Hunting. Wait till you find your first silver quarter or Indian Head cent.

Welcome from Western Washington! The MXT is an excellent machine. I don't have one nor do I have any experience with one, but everything I've read points that direction. Best of luck and happy Hunting

Oldest coin- 1946 wheatie.

Welcome from Pittsburgh, soon you may discover its a little more than a hobby. Thats ok, you're not alone and there is alot of support out there for you. Good luck and happy hunting. Mark

Back
Top Bottom