About me Introduction? Advice needed

ForbiddenFruit

Hey everyone. I am extremely new to the forum and metal detecting in itself. My name is Megan and I am from New York originally (Adirondack area not city) but currently live in Missouri. I have been interesting in getting into the hobby for years after watching the history channels and youtube channels with all the amazing finds. I decided that this is the year I actually buy on and venture out myself. I am a stay at home mom with a soon to be 3 year old who loves to play in dirt as it is. What a better way to get out and have her help out as well with the time I have with her?

As I have said I am extremely new to this and want to purchase my first detector. I dont want to spend over $500 for now as I am just starting out. I am having a hard time to pick out which is the best one for my money as well as what is worth the different accessories with it if you will. I have seen a few with many things included, but I want a good quality detector not just something very basic. What do you guys recommend? Also what advice can you give me starting out? I know I am not going to find anything amazing right off the bat and it will take many hours and days that I probably will come out empty handed. I am excited to start out on this adventure and looking forward to this new hobby! :D

Welcome to the forum! I'm in upstate NY now, the Hudson Valley, but love the Adirondacks. I hope you manage to get back there once in a while.

My first machine was the White's M6, and I'm still happy with it... but there are a lot of good machines that are a few hundred less, and I'm sure other members will be offering ideas soon.

Happy Hunting!

My first detector was an Ace 250. I used it for 6 years before upgrading to an ATPro. Found a lot of stuff with the 250, it is a good entry level detector.

You can get some decent machines in that price range. Tell us what kind of hunting you plan on doing? Coinshooter, relics, jewelry, plan on getting it wet? That will give us a better idea of what to recommend. Also make sure you include a decent pin pointer in your purchase. Will save you alot of time and frustration locating targets. Will also need a something to dig with, Lesche and Hori Hori knives are popular but you can pick up a fiskars for about $10 at any hardware store or Walmart until you can get something else if you prefer. Also in the top right of this forum there is a sponsor list. I've worked with a number of them in the past and all have been great. They will also typically offer better then advertised prices on equipment if you call them and answer and questions you have.

Teknetics Patriot, Garrett Pinpointer and pouch for about 500 from here might be doable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I would do, contact one of the sponsors ( I have ordered several times from Bart at Big Boys).
I currently use a Garrett AT Pro which will be out of your price range. With your budget you could get an Ace 400 plus a Garrett pro pointer. The new Ace 300 and 400 have been reviewed good and Garrett's customer service is as good as it gets.

What ever you end up with I would keep enough money in your budget for a good pin pointer. You can get by with a cheap digger from Lowes and a cheap nail pouch or something similar. However the 15-30 dollar pin pointers that are out there will not do you any good.

Most metal detector companies give parameters for what prices the retailers can advertise at. Often if you call them or send them a message from this site they will give you a better then advertised price. Plus answer questions based on what type of hunting you are planning to do.

Welcome from a traveling MD'er who is currently in Mo.

Where about in MO are you? Maybe you can hunt with someone local and borrow a detector to see if you even enjoy detecting, before you spend $500.

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country !!! I hunt with a Whites Treasure Pro. It would be in your price range and probably has the most features for the money of any other detector in it's price range. I bought the Geared Up Package that comes a pinpointer and other accessories from Myers Metal Detectors who is one of the sponsors on this forum. http://www.myersdepot.com/products/treasurepro/

Check it out !!!
Pesc

I recommend contacting more than one dealer and see what they will offer you on the machine that you decide you want. The Ace 300 and 400 are good starter machines and Garrett takes care of their customers.

Some dealers will discount their items a little and they will offer different packages. Make sure that what you get includes a digging tool. And hopefully some headphones. You will also need something to bring home your treasures in like a Finds Pouch.

Take all the History channel and discovery channel Treasure Hunting shows with about a pound of salt as they are highly scripted and do not accurately depict what it is like to metal detect. We do not find 14k gold rings every time we go detecting.

Detecting is a Fun Hobby but i must warn you it is addicting. The occasional nice find keeps us looking for more.

Good Luck with what ever machine you may decide that you want. .

Back
Top Bottom