Children's summer program

Brandigr2

Hey all!

I used to work at at day camp summer program for many years and have a great relationship with the boss. Every summer, she invites me to come and do some sort of program for the kids. She pays me well and it's great to be creative. I've done skate day, geocaching, big choose your own adventure game, and last summer I organized an escape room. She buys the supplies if I need them.

This year, I'm doing a metal detecting day. The theme for the week is the Mystery of History or something. I had a few ideas but I thought perhaps any of you might have some different ideas I could take into consideration. First off, they have a nice size grassy area and other things for the kids to do in case I want to just work with smaller groups. The kids range in age from kindergarten to fifth grade.

I was thinking about bringing a display of finds and introducing the hobby with a video (perhaps one I make or one from YouTube). I thought about placing some objects under something like card board and having the kids guess the item. I also thought about having the kids practice pinpointing and could mark an X over where they thought the target was. I could limit this to just a few kids or have several different cardboard items to mark. The last thing I was thinks was to seed some wheat pennies and maybe a few silvers in the yard and have a few lines of kids. Each kid could take a detector and go out and find two targets and then the next kid could have a turn. There would be plenty of adult helpers and I wouldn't bury the coins deep. Anyways, those are my ideas thus far. This needs to last 2-4 hours. Any thoughts?

How about Jarts or Wrist Rocket Battles? We always enjoyed those activities back in the 70's! We also did 'Bicycle Jousting' events right there in the parking lot!! Huge Fun! Ya see, You ride straight at another kid, and try to knock them off their bike with a standard Louisville slugger! Boom! Right in the Noggin! Take that! Down you go you SOB! Oh how the Counselors would cheer us on! Along with our campmate peers! Place bets and laugh!

It was great Summer time camp fun! 'King on the Raft, Smear the Kweer' Snipe hunting! Nightly Naked "Bum Fights" around the group campfire even!!...Those were the best! Punch that SOB wouldja! It was all about kicking ass and Gambling! No end of fun and hilarious things to do at Summer camp to keep the kiddies occupied! We also played with fire!...all the time, and we all smoked!...Constantly! To 'keep the mosquitoes' off!:laughing::laughing:

One kid smuggled in a S&W .38 special one time!...that was sort of dangerously cool until he got kicked out for some damn reason...Probably financially related?...I think he was poor and on some sort of 'poor kids' scholarship? He took to threatening and robbing the rich kids early mornings in the camp outhouse shidder..? So yeah, he was sort of poor come to think of it...Didnt wear LL Bean..just 'Polo' garage sale cast offs...just greedy...didnt even own a pair of decent deck shoes? Can you believe it? How the hell did this guy get through the screening process? Anyway...

We sang songs and macramed some keyrings for the folks and did some belt making custom leatherwork stamping for them to beat us with I guess.....which I thought was completely inappropriate, but participated in due to peer group pressure....Boy, those were some great times for an 8yr old!!.:laughing:

So you need some sort of activity that keeps the little monsters busy and lasts roughly 2-4hrs? No Ritalin? They have the capability of ganging up on you and the rest of the staff! Discount this warning to your detriment! Try to direct their rage against each other! Or put them into an induced state of torpor for a few weeks, just to get by..... like a Wintertime alligator...Thats the ticket!

Hmmm...Have them roll up and spark a few fatties?...Just to 'Chill?' Perhaps encourage the fabrication of some clay pipes or bongs at the Pottery shed? Kids nowadays are all packing papers and dope...I would guarantee theres some 9mm Glocks in the mix as well, easily.....Certainly at least one Desert Eagle .44 mag and a .454 Casull in case of bears for the anally retentive and overly prepared Prepper kids??....This is what kids do nowadays? Or get them all distracted with Sexting?...Or, get out the bicycles and the baseball bats for a good old fashioned parking lot 'Huffy Fight'?

What a bad deal you got yourself into here! Cash the check and get the hell out of there! Are you crazy? Maybe Start a big fire at the mess hall and get the hell out of there in the confusion? Kids...like super dangerous now a days!.....I'd rather dink around with a Black Mamba, swim with Okovango Crocodiles with a bacon hat on, or deal with any Lawyer than work an American Summer Kamp Kid nowadays...:laughing:

Last edited:
Hey all!

I used to work at at day camp summer program for many years and have a great relationship with the boss. Every summer, she invites me to come and do some sort of program for the kids. She pays me well and it's great to be creative. I've done skate day, geocaching, big choose your own adventure game, and last summer I organized an escape room. She buys the supplies if I need them.

This year, I'm doing a metal detecting day. The theme for the week is the Mystery of History or something. I had a few ideas but I thought perhaps any of you might have some different ideas I could take into consideration. First off, they have a nice size grassy area and other things for the kids to do in case I want to just work with smaller groups. The kids range in age from kindergarten to fifth grade.

I was thinking about bringing a display of finds and introducing the hobby with a video (perhaps one I make or one from YouTube). I thought about placing some objects under something like card board and having the kids guess the item. I also thought about having the kids practice pinpointing and could mark an X over where they thought the target was. I could limit this to just a few kids or have several different cardboard items to mark. The last thing I was thinks was to seed some wheat pennies and maybe a few silvers in the yard and have a few lines of kids. Each kid could take a detector and go out and find two targets and then the next kid could have a turn. There would be plenty of adult helpers and I wouldn't bury the coins deep. Anyways, those are my ideas thus far. This needs to last 2-4 hours. Any thoughts?

I have a bag of junk rings and foreign coins I'm happy to send to you for the cost of shipping and the package. $3 and I'll stuff that padded envelope full. LOL

Just let me know by PM if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom