WW2 Air Corp Aerial Gunner's Wing-Sterling

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
It rained yesterday so I knew the ground would be good today for depth signals. I went to my local school sports field that has been hunted to death, in fact I think it is on life support. But this time I decided to work the rough outer perimeter and parking lot areas more or less. Right off the bat, I was getting the usual clad coins. As I worked this semi water flooded dip in the ground, I got this rather large strong signal. At first I thought it was a piece of wire. Never-the-less, I decided to dig it anyway. About 4" down, I could see it was some type of jewelry or metal object. Upon further inspection, I could read the word sterling on the back side of this wing metal. I continued my hunting and found a good amount of coins for the day too.

When I got home I researched my wing metal and it turned out to being a: WWII Air Corp Aerial Gunner's Wing, marked Sterling on the back. It was a little twisted but could straighten it out somewhat. The USA Military metal weights: 12.25 grams and is 3" long.

For the day, I found: 31-quarters, 15-dimes, 4 nickels, 35-cents, WWII Metal, Game token and a Keith Urban heart metal.

I am proud to have found this WWII metal and even more so of the soldier who originally earned and worn it!

Attachments

• School Practice Field 012117 004.jpg
    School Practice Field 012117 004.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 356
  • School Practice Field 012117 003.jpg
    School Practice Field 012117 003.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 270
  • School Practice Field 012117 002.jpg
    School Practice Field 012117 002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 355
  • School Practice Field 012117 001.jpg
    School Practice Field 012117 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Love those old WWII Sterling Wings. I think there is a thread for Military Wings out there. You should post these there. Great find! Congrats.

Nice wings, congrats!

For the day, I found: 31-quarters, 15-dimes, 4 nickels, 35-cents, WWII Metal, Game token and a Keith Urban heart metal.

On life support? Where Im at, we'd call that a delivery room. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom