Rolls of coins at the bank

Chris819

Hi. I was wondering if it is a good idea to such for coins through rolls from banks? If so what are the best rolls to look through? I would guess pennys. Any help would be great. Also what are some of your best finds from banks?
Thanks Chris

Chris, there are many of threads in our pages regarding Coin Roll hunting... do a forum search and I'm sure all your questions will be answered. :yes:

Most people find the most out of halves. Also, dimes are good. Quarters aren't because it is really hard to find silver quarters. Pennies are good if you want to find wheat pennies, you will not find much else. Nickels are hard to find silver because only the war nickels are silver.

Chris, the trick is to buy hand rolled coins. That's where the most old coins are. If you get bank rolled, you'll probably get new coins. They get the bank rolled coins from the FED pre-rolled from new stock or rolled by Armored Car companies from bulk coins ... mostly new.

(did a stint with Loomis Fargo a few years back)

I get rolls of Halves from the bank. I got one hand rolled roll that had 5 40% silvers. The next time I got a box of $500 in halves from an armored car service that only had 4 40% in the whole box. Also, the tellers tried to offer me Eisenhower dollars- I took a look at them looking for silver clad but did not see any.

Also, nickels seem to be good to hunt. They havent changed much since 1938 so you'll still find wartime silvers, early 1940's, and 1950's nickels.

When searching through rolls of coins, I've found that your best bet for coins of value (both collector and silver value) have been between the pennies, nickels and dimes, not to mention you get a larger volume to search for less money. At the end of the week, I will go to the bank and get $100 in coins...$50 in dimes, $30 in nickels and $20 in dimes (that's 500 dimes, 600 nickels and 2000 pennies.) In this lot of coins, I usualy find about 20-30 wheat pennies, 20-30 1959 and lower nickels (once in a while I get a silver wartime nickel) and 1 silver dime. I've found error coins once in a great while (1939 double die nickel and a 1955 double die penny) and key date coins (1950 D nickel and a 1949 s dime) Most of the time I just find run of the mill stuff, but it helps pass the time during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom