Carved Bullets

Pappy Griff

Forum Supporter
I hear a lot about "carved" bullets and was just wondering what the purpose of carving them was? I was on a YouTube video where a fellow found a complete round, Civil War era, and the projectile had been carved, so it appears it's something that happens before being fired. Were they making them more lethal? Cross point or wad cutter rounds? Thanks for any education you could send my way.

Lots were carved due to boredom, to pass the time away, making chess pieces, nipple protectors or whatever the soldier had in mind. Hope this helps.

+1

We have found game pieces carved from .577 Enfield bullets and a pencil carved from a lead ingot.

Attachments

• game pieces.jpg
    game pieces.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 335
And here I thought it was a tactical move on their part. Oh well, thanks for the response.

An item hand carved during the endless days of boredom in the life of an exhausted soldier is the closest you'll ever get to the person in the uniform and is the cream of what a history-buff can dig at any war related site, IMO. I have dug chess pieces, poker chips, strange faces, animals, tiny sheets of lead with hearts carved on them, etc. Finding them insitu next to fire pits at musterfields or along the bank of a creek next to the corral, or out in front of a line of battle in what was surely a picket is mindblowing to me and help me visualize the scene more than anything I can dig (besides impact minieballs near field hospitals).

Though they have no inherent value, it amazes me that they are some of the least interesting CW items to some folks.

Oh well.

An item hand carved during the endless days of boredom in the life of an exhausted soldier is the closest you'll ever get to the person in the uniform and is the cream of what a history-buff can dig at any war related site, IMO. I have dug chess pieces, poker chips, strange faces, animals, tiny sheets of lead with hearts carved on them, etc. Finding them insitu next to fire pits at musterfields or along the bank of a creek next to the corral, or out in front of a line of battle in what was surely a picket is mindblowing to me and help me visualize the scene more than anything I can dig (besides impact minieballs near field hospitals).

Though they have no inherent value, it amazes me that they are some of the least interesting CW items to some folks.

Oh well.

That is an awesome insight. I hope you did not think I was being disrespectful, I have the utmost respect for any individual answering the call. As a vet myself, I would never intentionally disrespect any Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine. Please accept my apologies if I came across in any other way. I honestly thought they may have been altering their rounds to act like more modern bullets that are now being mass-produced.

W. Griffith
U.S. Army, 1979-1988

That is an awesome insight. I hope you did not think I was being disrespectful, I have the utmost respect for any individual answering the call. As a vet myself, I would never intentionally disrespect any Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine. Please accept my apologies if I came across in any other way. I honestly thought they may have been altering their rounds to act like more modern bullets that are now being mass-produced.

W. Griffith
U.S. Army, 1979-1988

No sir, you misunderstand me. I was just making an observation on what seemed to be disappointment in your post. Sometimes we just forget about the human side. I didn't mean it to come across as pointed at all.

Thanks for your service.

B McBride
USMC 1989-1993

some great answers there! :yes:

back in those days, the guys had to do something during their down time, whether it was a soldier serving in some far off land, or a sailor or merchant seaman. bullets were carved, trench art was done, ships were built in bottles, coins were carved, any little stick may have been whittled upon for hours at a time.
with no internet, texting or other electronic devices to amuse yourself with, actual handcrafting was the norm.

I've heard of game pieces, (Chess) carved from bullets. I think it's due to boredom at times, similar to old time Sailors and during their long hours on sea they turned to Scrimshaw.

When I was a kid, I found 6 lead cubes at a civil war site in North Georgia. I couldnt figure out what they were, later found out they were carved bullets made into dice. They were thrown away long ago, but I do remember seeing dots carved on the sides. When we moved, my mom asked me why I needed all the junk and threw all my finds away except for dropped bullets. I know I had a sword blade, pistol barrel, lots of coins that needed cleaning, a few double caps (when they would put a percussion cap on top of a spent cap), and lots of buttons, buckles, and other items. Luckily, memories remain, but that's about it.

Lots were carved due to boredom, to pass the time away, making chess pieces, nipple protectors or whatever the soldier had in mind. Hope this helps.

YEP THIS WAS WHAT A CARVED BULLET WAS .. IT WAS TO PASS TIME,CHESS PIECES AND EVEN SOME ADULT STUFF WAS CARVED INTO BULLETS. ALOT OF ACORNS TO.. HOPE THIS HELPS
:yes:

Did someone say acorns?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-31.jpg
    FullSizeRender-31.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 222
  • FullSizeRender-30.jpg
    FullSizeRender-30.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 237
I hear a lot about "carved" bullets and was just wondering what the purpose of carving them was? I was on a YouTube video where a fellow found a complete round, Civil War era, and the projectile had been carved, so it appears it's something that happens before being fired. Were they making them more lethal? Cross point or wad cutter rounds? Thanks for any education you could send my way.

I do know of one example where it is thought that the carving may have been to better the projectile. That would be the famous Whittled Whitworths. There's a great article on that theory here:
http://sgtriker.com/Published.htm

Back
Top Bottom