Original Records of the Civil War Online

DIRT DOBBER

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure how many 'newer' CW folks know but years ago this site went online:

http://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records

It's the most user friendly and comprehensive searchable version of the entire 'Official Records of the Civil War' I've found.

Cheers OSU!

I've been using it for years in my research of winter camps/muster fields/skirmish sites, etc.

Regards,
Bobby

Last edited:
Yeah the disk I have stink and the books are great but sometimes cumbersome. You are correct. Nicely done!

I'm headed out to sw tn on the am.

Wow thanks for the link! I am less than half a mile from the "Hightower Trail" (a route used by Federal troops on the way to Social Circle and then joining Sherman's march to the sea). It's amazing what you learn about your area that you would never know without the internet. Most everything is private property now, but makes you wonder what could be left behind! I'll let everyone know if I find one of Sherman's "neck ties"!

Yankees in Gawga!!! Just ain't fittin'!!:shock:

WOW!!!! THANK YOU so much for this!

I had never heard of this site, and am researching a raid in NW Florida in hopes of pinning down the route taken and the campsites where they stopped along the way. This has already verified some info I had with just a simple search. Thank you once again!

Dirt, that's a great site. I live in Arizona, NOT officially a Southern State like the Carolinas or Georgia etc. But we were part of the Civil War too. Arizona even had several small battles fought here. Two major things on my bucket list, is to go to the South and MD. The other is to go to the Kentucky Derby. Thanks for sharing......

Hit Chattanooga got to chat with duggap. Great tour of the gap. Thanks! No luck this time and now in Knoxville for a few days. Maybe I can find some trouble near here. If not maybe Memphis Friday and back to my spot in sc after making the wife happy.

Back
Top Bottom