not wanting to dig deep

masterpuppet

OK I have been hunting all summer and I need you guys to help me get over a problem. When I get a 8 to 10 inch deep target I dont feel right making the big of hole. I know that if I want to hit the good stuff I need to but I just dont feel good about it. Am I the only one who as ever felt this way?

OK I have been hunting all summer and I need you guys to help me get over a problem. When I get a 8 to 10 inch deep target I dont feel right making the big of hole. I know that if I want to hit the good stuff I need to but I just dont feel good about it. Am I the only one who as ever felt this way?

When I'm in a park or in a manicured public setting, I feel the same, especially when the soil is dry and hard, conditions where I only use a probe, no plug cutting. In those cases I'll usually let the target go if I think the hole is getting to grotesque. However, if I can, I'll come back in the spring or fall when the soil is moist and the grass is green at which point I can cut a good sized plug, remove the dirt onto a towel, and get the target. That way the dirt/plug can be replaced to the degree you can't see where I dug and the plug doesn't dry out.

I use screwdrivers. Only way I dig plugs is if its a ratty looking place. One tip is you can take a Lesche or whatever and make a straight slit. Jiggle side to side and open a pocket. Retrieve the target and push the sided of the slit down. Then just tamp with a fist a couple times. Dug plugs cut the runners of our type grass. Holes look like hell all summer if you dig plugs. You see dead spots around here it was someone besides me who left them.;)

When I'm in a park or in a manicured public setting, I feel the same, especially when the soil is dry and hard, conditions where I only use a probe, no plug cutting. In those cases I'll usually let the target go if I think the hole is getting to grotesque. However, if I can, I'll come back in the spring or fall when the soil is moist and the grass is green at which point I can cut a good sized plug, remove the dirt onto a towel, and get the target. That way the dirt/plug can be replaced to the degree you can't see where I dug and the plug doesn't dry out.

Agree

yes, in turf, this is a natural feeling. Because it's to be expected that passerbys will think "oh no, is he going to leave a hole/mark?". So for this reason, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at odd-ball times, when such lookie-lous aren't bound to be present. Even at night, if need be. So peaceful, so serene :)

I felt the same way when I started but then I found silver coins and it passed!:laughing: I go by the ground conditions if it's moist I'm good, of its dry I stay out of grass all together. You can still cut a 4"/5" plug and get down to deep coins when the ground isn't dry though. It's not like you have to have a huge plug to go deep.

Back
Top Bottom