My two cents from another newbie- clad of course!

Detector-Junky

Howdy All,

Brand new to the forum but not to detecting. Occasionally since the 70's, yikes, and regularly since I inherited my dad's detector when he passed.

I agree that this hobby has a high turnover, discouragement it's greatest culprit. I've listed a couple of my self-helps the get me through those lean times, which believe me, are many.

I live in the great Northeast where my detector is replaced by a snow shovel for longer than I'd like. During this detecting down time I am an avid reader so this may come easier for me than others but... read. There are some great TH'ng books out there, the authors are professionals in every way. Some, Charles Garrett comes to mind, have made quite the living from our hobby. Their methods are tried and true. Read once, read twice, and follow their advice. You can generally ignore the copyright dates, the technology changes but not the techniques. Some highly recommended books were written 30 plus years ago. On the flip side, don't let those wonderful, gold coin filled photos get to you. they are published for a reason. Who wants to see a handful of pull tabs. Heck, I'd love to have my dirt filled fingernails wrapped around those coins but lets face it, if Corona caps were valuable I'd be retired!

Second is my answer to those clads we've all come to know and love. At the beginning of my detecting season I set myself a simple goal to update, upgrade or get something new. Nothing necessarily fancy. Maybe that new digging tool, detector case, new coil or cover, etc. My clads go into my wish tin. If you detect regularly you'd be surprised how quickly those pesky critters can add up and the hobby pays for itself... sort of.

Well, for now I'll say to keep a stiff upper lip, be persistent and that find will come. I'm still waiting for mine:laughing:

Good luck and happy hunting

Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 and Tesoro Inca

Junky, Welcome to the Forum and from Western Washington! Thanks for the wisdom from an old salt. When many of us think we have it all figured out, you remind us to go back to the basics and knowledge from the people that had the vision of what this hobby was to be.

Thanks General

i guess we all detect for different reasons. Mine is a love of history and I'm lucky enough to own some property that's been in my family for 200 years. Maybe this makes detecting easier for me. To many a square nail is another expected junk find worthy of tossing but as I hold one my first thought is the idea that my great-great-great, you get the picture, grandfather also held the same nail has he was building his well in the wilds of 1811 upstate New York and I feel some type of connection through that nail as goofy as that may sound.

If more held to the concept of holding history in their hands and not just the rarity or financial reward of their find I think many more would appreciate the hobby.

Guess that's just me

Great advice....fortunately living in southern Louisiana where only a few days out of the year it's too cold to hunt and as long as you get out earlyor go late in the evening,even the hottest months are bearable....not to mention the history here is almost as good as any in the country for relics,coins etc.

I too am an avid reader....many an hour is spent looking for old articles,stories and such about the goings on here in days past that may lead to a new spot to go to.Or techniques from more experienced hunters.

never give up.

Back
Top Bottom