Found a priceless artifact...

Stratopastor

Tonight at church I used my detector as part of an object lesson. There is 1 kid there who just doesn't seem to connect with ANYTHING. After the lesson I showed the kids what sound to listen for and let them swing till they thought they might have something. Then I'd confirm and pinpoint it and let them dig.

The kids all seemed to like it and in a bout 30 minutes we had 2 dimes and 2 pieces of trash from a church lot that had been previously detected. The second dime looked like it might say 1964 but the patina said clad... and it was a 1967. (would have been my first silver)

The kid who wouldn't connect was REALLY excited and wants to go hunt with me sometime. To me, the opportunity to become someone who a young person is comfortable asking hard questions when life gets hard more than pays for the at pro and carrot... the $0.20 is pure profit.

That's an awesome story! Definitely worth it!

As I teacher, I definitely think sharing your hobbies and passions with your students is a great way to connect and engage with them.

I've already told my students enough about metal detecting that one of my second graders gave me a loupe as a teacher-appreciation-week present! :D

Tonight at church I used my detector as part of an object lesson. There is 1 kid there who just doesn't seem to connect with ANYTHING. After the lesson I showed the kids what sound to listen for and let them swing till they thought they might have something. Then I'd confirm and pinpoint it and let them dig.

The kids all seemed to like it and in a bout 30 minutes we had 2 dimes and 2 pieces of trash from a church lot that had been previously detected. The second dime looked like it might say 1964 but the patina said clad... and it was a 1967. (would have been my first silver)

The kid who wouldn't connect was REALLY excited and wants to go hunt with me sometime. To me, the opportunity to become someone who a young person is comfortable asking hard questions when life gets hard more than pays for the at pro and carrot... the $0.20 is pure profit.

Please come back after you have that opportunity. I would love to hear an update on this. Sounds great.

Sounds like you have a new hunting buddy -- and an awesome responsibility.
Kids need something that they are ''good at'' Having success MDing can get him going in the right direction. But you already know that.....

Thank you for working with the young folks in your area
Keep us posted
GL&HH

Back
Top Bottom