• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1st Ever Coin Roll Hunt Today

Chicago Cubs

Alright, after much bugging of my mom to go buy me some coin rolls from my local bank, I got searching :)

I bought 10 Rolls of Pennies, 2 Rolls of Dimes, and 5 Rolls of Nickels for $25. Boy do I wish I bought more Nickels.

In Pennies I got not what I expected in 10 rolls, only one wheat penny - 1951S and a 1959 Penny.

Dimes yielded nothing at all, latest was 1964 I think.

Nickels were the best for me :)

1941S, 1954, 1950, 1940S, 1956S, 1957D, 1951D, 1959D, and a 1960S. Plus not to mention a bunch of other 1960 coins.

Gonna keep doing this about every week or so.

Any key dates in these or anything else?

Also one more question, I found a 1987D penny and it looks like an error to me. There is another set of lines circling the penny, about a couple millimeters from the edge.

Any posts welcome.

That 1950 nickel is of a pretty low mintage...only about 9 million made. Too bad it wasn't a 1950 D...that's the key date coin for the Jefferson edition nickel.

Are you sure that the 1956 S you have isn't a D? I don't think they made an S that year.

Any other "Key dates" for the Nickels?

Plain 58 is a keeper, only 18 million made.

My advice: Buy a coin book like the Black Book or Red Book Price guide. These are helpful in seeing the average buying price and mintages; I keep it by me at all times. :yes: Also, get a book to hold your coins-- Whitmans has some good books. (They make two different kinds. One is blue with a silver picture of the coin on the cover, the other has a large detailed picture of the coin on the front.) Another good book is the dark green Littleton Book. All of these may be found at Barnes and Noble if you do not have a coin store. The prices just went up a dollar recently, bringing them to 3.99.

Keep with the nickels, they are very profitable to hunt: [See other threads on this forum]

I always ask for hand rolled coins--as opposed to bank wrapped rolls--because it enables you the collector to look through coins in paper rolls that the bank has not seen!! Keep with it, it is a very fun part of the numismatist's addiction! HH
NC

Plain 58 is a keeper, only 18 million made.

My advice: Buy a coin book like the Black Book or Red Book Price guide. These are helpful in seeing the average buying price and mintages; I keep it by me at all times. :yes: Also, get a book to hold your coins-- Whitmans has some good books. (They make two different kinds. One is blue with a silver picture of the coin on the cover, the other has a large detailed picture of the coin on the front.) Another good book is the dark green Littleton Book. All of these may be found at Barnes and Noble if you do not have a coin store. The prices just went up a dollar recently, bringing them to 3.99.

Keep with the nickels, they are very profitable to hunt: [See other threads on this forum]

I always ask for hand rolled coins--as opposed to bank wrapped rolls--because it enables you the collector to look through coins in paper rolls that the bank has not seen!! Keep with it, it is a very fun part of the numismatist's addiction! HH
NC

Thanks a lot for this post. My bank has a machine that dumps the coins in, tells you how much there is in, and keeps them in a big bag. They then ship them to a processing center where they roll them all by themselves. They don't accept rolled coins from customers, so I am getting the second best thing.

I've had fair luck with halves. For every $200 i search, I find 2-3 40%'rs. The past month I've searched $750 in halves and found 11 40% silver ones.

hey great finds!!! nickels are my favorite to search b/c at least for me, theyve yeilded the highest amount of older coins per batch i get compared to other denominations. i havent had much luck with dimes like you, so i generally stick to pennies and nickels. they may not be worth as much, but you get more keepers....and maybe you can get lucky and pull a nice key date. a couple weeks ago i got a beautiful 1943-P war nickel out of a roll and the batch before that i got a buff, so it just goes to show, that stuff is still out there. good luck in future rolls!!!

hey great finds!!! nickels are my favorite to search b/c at least for me, theyve yeilded the highest amount of older coins per batch i get compared to other denominations. i havent had much luck with dimes like you, so i generally stick to pennies and nickels. they may not be worth as much, but you get more keepers....and maybe you can get lucky and pull a nice key date. a couple weeks ago i got a beautiful 1943-P war nickel out of a roll and the batch before that i got a buff, so it just goes to show, that stuff is still out there. good luck in future rolls!!!

I am only doing nickels too. Havnt gotten any "war" or buffalos or anything amaing, but i did get some 1940s :)

I do nickels 20 and 40 dollars at a time, always pulling out around ten, I sometimes get a buffalo...

That's interesting everyone's ratio on the 40% halves... I have bought around 15 rolls, and found 10-12 silver clads....Of course, two rolls each had 4 apiece!!:shock: That made me do the dance! :D HH
NC

Coin roll hunting sounds like fun, I have never tried it but I am being tempted by your posts.

Back
Top Bottom