My first post, gotta at pro question

beavissolid

Was interested in metal detecting so I did a little bit of research and heard Garrett at pro was a decent machine so I bought one. Set the machine together, read the manual quickly (going to read it again, prob watch the DVD). Went out to my local tot lot and got to searching.

I did okay out in the fields and using the pin pointing function was easy. Went I got to raised metal benches, I would turn down the sensitivity and get coin hits but when I tried using the pin pointing feature, I would get detection from the metal bench up above thus the pin pointing didn't work. I tried to figure out where coin was, but apparently I'm not good yet. Am I doing something wrong? I read get a sniper coil, but wouldn't I have the same problem with the pin pointing from the bench up above?

Thank you!!!

AT Pro question

Metal playground equipment is always a problem. Since objects on a playground are usually shallow, turning down the sensitivity might help you. Also, if you are going to hunt playgrounds frequently, a smaller coil may also help. Pinpointing (all metal) can certainly be a problem around metal playground equipment. I think for now, decreasing the sensitivity is your best bet. Good luck with the new machine. It is certainly a good one.:yes:

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Yes, detecting near metal benches, fences, and playground equipment can be challenging, but there are things you can do to help recover targets despite the interference. The pinpoint feature can be de-tuned, but that's not very practical in your situation. Read up on pinpointing via the wiggle method or pinpointing off the tip of the coil instead of relying on the push button pinpoint feature. Once you get used to it it's a piece of cake. 99% of the time I don't bother with the pinpoint button. It does take some practice though. If you need further explanation just say the word.

Getting the sniper coil should help a lot with your problem , thats what they are made for. They are not as sensitive out to the sides as the other coils. For now try pinpointing without using the pinpoint button , just use the "wiggle" method explained in the manual. You still cant get right up close to metal equipment as well as you can with a sniper coil but if you are able to pick up a target under the soil then the wiggle method should work but you have to experiment with it.

I rarely use the pin point feature on mine, I just wiggle it over the target. It may be tough to describe in typed words but I'll try.

Think of a blade about 1/2 inch wide under your coil from the front to the back at 6-8 inches deep. This is the search field from your DD coil.

When you get a signal swing back over it until it signals again. the repeat until your making a "wiggle" motion over the target with about 5 or 6 beeps a second. Visualize a mark on the ground where your signal is while doing this. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. Where the marks cross is where your target is.

I don't have a sniper coil but I do have the 5x8 and 8.5x11 and I have trouble with both around the metal sets at parks.

Jeff

Hello and :welcome2: to the forum.
Some good advice from the others. I found searching to close to metal playground equipment to be a pain in the **** so
I just don't do it. Yeah, I may miss out on a find, but I figure I should leave something for other guys to find anyway. :D

first off i'll say welcome to the forum! :yes:

ok, playground equipment, metal benches and similar items are usually very well anchored to the ground and what you see above the ground is only a small portion of the metal. the underground bracing can be quite large, can be set in cement and can extend at any angle.
although your coil is intended for searching downward, the sides and top will also pick up on nearby metal and those metal benches and equip are hard to get close to with a large coil.
if you want to practice a bit with searching near large metal objects, just toss a quarter on the ground about 4 feet from your car. facing your car, start swinging towards and then past the quarter and closer to the car and you'll see right away how those 2 different sized targets will read. then, move the coin closer and closer to the car and eventually you won't be able to pick it up due the cars' metal masking the coin.
the At Pro is one great machine, but 2 tons of car will mask out that coin, lol.
hope this helps,

Pete

By using the front of the coil crossing it back and forth over the target, you can visualize where the target is. As far as turning 90 degrees for a target along a fence or other metal object you can't do that, if it is close.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, lower the discrimination, then try not using the pinpointer. RebSix got it right. Just stake the coil over the signal and it should get you a pretty accurate reading because its shallow and also easy to dig. This seems to work for me. GL

Back
Top Bottom