The end of an era, A NOVEL post...

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
I got my first metal detector in December 2010. Part of the reason I started detecting was due to a couple of house sites I found in the woods behind my house. I had followed an old wagon road that goes RIGHT through my back yard. That got me curious, and soon I found a barn site with natural a stone foundation which is all that is left today.

Around the bend I stumbled upon the house site and found a pair of steps and a foundation.

Through the years I have detected it with MANY metal detectors, settings, coil sizes etc. I think in the past 6 years I have pulled maybe 4-5 wheat pennies out of the hollow down there, but just could never get lucky enough to find a silver coin...

The last time i went down there I told myself it was the last time, forever... Using the 3030, I got a nice 42-43 and it sounded like a coin, but, I doubted it because I rarely ever found coins down there, and there is literally rusty bucket parts EVERYWHERE in ALL sizes...but it WAS a coin, a 1955 wheatie about 6 inches down, bent in half...

Speaking of rusty bucket parts... I just dug a down there earlier in a 10 inch hole only to come up with a 1/4 inch piece of rusty bucket!!!

So, with that, I have decided that today was the last trip down there. I have literally hunted down there 100 times, and always told myself "One of these times you'll find something good." Only, I never have!

The area down there had two different house sites and I've pounded them to death and learned alot about target ID and various settings, so it served a great purpose as a proving grounds for me and my machines.

I do have some fond memories of hunting down there, when I first started I was sooo excited to find anything metal or old! I wish I still had that excitement and gumption for the hobby that I once did, but now I am spoiled, I expect to find something good almost every hunt... I am sure you vets can relate to that!

1stcoin.jpg

I did find my first ever coin down there, a clad quarter on a hillside and not far away this 1950 tootsie toy truck. Two of my fav finds, both displayed on a shelf in my office. The truck is a link to the previous occupants, and told me that they had a little boy or two. I have since found bike parts, a stroller part (so maybe a little girl too!) And other toys etc that they lost over the years.

While I am writing a book, that makes me think bout our hobby and how over time artifacts can paint a picture. One neat find I found was a brass Chanel #5 perfume bottle, with paris on the lid. I imagined a Christmas morning with the fireplace going and ham wafting through the air as he gave her what was surely a pricey gift for back then, and her hugging him tightly as she thanked him and said "oh honey, you didn't have to but THANK YOU!" (Hey this is my story I'll tell it how I wanna! :lol:

So anyway, the place has been my go-to spot for many years, and my son and I got serious about finding some silvers or coins there, and we decided that it was time for a rake, tree clippers and some muscle in an effort to clean the spot up enough to detect.

This is what we started with:

IMG_1085.jpg

As you can see, it was overly overgrown lol

After an hour or so of work this is what I had to swing over:

IMG_1097.jpg

Much better now, right!? Then it was time to get to work swingin!

I decided to literally dig EVERYTHING from the small yard...determined to find a coin....

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

As you can see from these pics...we dug every target, but didn't come up with a coin... one relic I think "might" be part of a gun butt plate but I'm unsure, maybe not lol

And with that, after today's unlucky hunt just like the rest, I have decided to close the chapter on that particular site.

"They" say keep going back, eventually you will be rewarded... I've gone back 100 times, I've tried all the tricks, and I am of the mindset that I was either beaten to the punch long ago, or they just didn't have alot to spare and lose... either way, today is the end of an era in the hollow. I have fond memories of time with my son down there, and the excitement of trying to find something, but the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.... so with that, I am marking that spot off of my list and calling it hunted out... if it isn't then good luck to the next guy!

uss2.jpg

The pics shown do not show every find from down there, but this picture does show a couple of my favorite finds from there. A "muskrat" old timer knife, toy gun, and a US CAVALRY Curry brush.

usss.jpg

It was a fun place to pilfer, but this old guy has hiked down the mountain side for the last time today....

Thanks for reading my book...:lol:

Love it!

I love your post. You really got into that site. I suggest that you do a title search and see who owned the property and find out a little more. Maybe you are right about the perfume bottle and the kids--heck, some of the family could still be alive and in the area! If you made contact, they might give you some tips on better spots to search. I've gotten interested in the history of my property and the land around it, and I'm wanting to do some research on it, so your story really resonates with me. Thanks for the write-up! :D

Pretty cool you dedicated so much to the site. I can't say I would have stuck it out as long as you did but I commend you on it. If nothing else you made some good memories with your son and that is treasure in itself.

Pretty cool you dedicated so much to the site. I can't say I would have stuck it out as long as you did but I commend you on it. If nothing else you made some good memories with your son and that is treasure in itself.

Thanks, like I said it's in my back yard, so it was always easy to just walk back there and spend an hour or 3.

You're right, the memories were the real treasures!

Wow this really hit home for me, thank you! I'm a newby to metal detecting and in that beginning phase that you described, and I also got started out of curiosity about our property. I am fascinated by the history of the river and woods around my house and also imagine little scenarios for every find I dig. I get out every chance I get, which is only an hour here or there, and I can't wait for the day my kids are old enough to hunt with me. The memories you made are worth more than the elusive silver coins! Let us know when your novel hits the shelves.

lol, nobody can say you give up easy! :D

kudos, man, that's what the hobby is about! Thanks for the share.

I loved your take on the Chanel #5. Many years ago that is what I gave my young bride for Christmas. Many Years ago.

Great write up, cool finds, I have a spot somewhat similar to that..I just feel theres old silver Im not finding yet.

Sounds like you gave it Hell, I'd like to see a pic of that antique Chanel #5 bottle. My mother loves that stuff. If you get around to it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Sounds like you gave it Hell, I'd like to see a pic of that antique Chanel #5 bottle. My mother loves that stuff. If you get around to it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

I just realized what I wrote, I meant to say the LID was brass, not the bottle, my bad! I threw it away long ago though. :)

good read. Good story. But painful to read in-that-it lacked being a good coin-ratio spot. :p

I do the same thing at bottle dump sites. Some started out great and after years of return visits probing my arms off hoping to dig that last good bottle they just cease to give up anything new. Then there are some that showed good promise but refuse to give up anything at all worth bringing home. It's all part of the game...

Great story Nector, I hate to see all the junk you pulled out of their for all them times you been their.
I also had a spot like that I found in a woods while deer hunting. I dont know how many times I went back their just to dig junk, Only got a few wheaties.
Like I said, Great story. You can not say you did not give it a good try. KEN

Back
Top Bottom