Detecting class for Scouts

RaylandRat

Elite Member
Our club meets at a Boy Scout club house. When we made the deal to use the building, we mentioned that we would be willing to hold a metal detecting class/demonstration for the Scouts that use this same building. Has anyone ever done this? Any experiences, advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Neat idea. I have never done this but please let us know how that works out.

If it were me, I would...

Take a plastic tote, fill it with dirt, (Could just use somewhere with mulch as well) take some items like coins or other trinkets, and put them down in the dirt.

You might look up online how it is that a metal detector actually works, and then maybe hand out a paper to each scout with the basics of what you are demonstrating.

Let them take turns swinging the detector, and see if they can get the detector to sound off on the item (of course they all will, as you only buried it a few inches deep.)

Let a couple of them get the thrill of hearing it beep, and finding "treasure"

Likewise, have some "awards" printed out that they all receive for their daily lesson in becoming "certified treasure hunters"

When you get a few of them hooked on the hobby, give us a holler and we'll be happy to work out a bulk discount on some fancy treasure finding metal detectors for your scout troop.:grin:

Best of luck, snap some pics and share...we love pics!

Likewise, have some "awards" printed out that they all receive for their daily lesson in becoming "certified treasure hunters"

I like this idea. Maybe there's a badge for metal detecting. Haha. Something to check into with the Scout Master. I'm trying to get some ideas together now, but we probably won't do anything until the fall. The clubhouse is right next to a park, so we could seed an area to let them search at. Hopefully we can get several spare machines and pin pointers for the Scouts to use from our club members.

We have other motives for doing this. The district Boy Scouts have a big campgrounds that shows up on old maps(20's). It's fence and has padlocked gates. Maybe this would help with getting permission to hunt it.

I inquired about an MD merit badge but there is an archeology badge and this is included.

I recently joined a club and they hold classes for scouts. I'm not sure which manufacturer in t is but one has donated machines for them to use.

I inquired about an MD merit badge but there is an archeology badge and this is included.

I recently joined a club and they hold classes for scouts. I'm not sure which manufacturer in t is but one has donated machines for them to use.

Any information about what goes on during the classes will be appreciated.
I never thought about contacting a detector company for loaner machines. Worth trying. Thanks

My local troop, which I used to be a part of, would love this kind of thing as many of the 2nd class and 1st class scouts have metal detectors. The are thinking about starting up a club within the troop to help kids work on the Outdoor and Orienteering Merit Badges.

One important thing for a class, is to keep the information at the level of the members of the class. I am doing a class for the cub scouts this July.

Bill in Montana

They asked me to show their students a thing or two one time. Turned out the " students" we're todlers. Lucky for me I had a large box top with 3 inch sides. Into it I poured about a cigar box size Box full of crotal bells. Tie slides, tokens, lead figures, etc and let them " have at it" . They had a blast. I think it's important that they have " hands on" experience and lots of loud fun , then they'll come away from it thinking detecting is fun and will be hooked.

One important thing for a class, is to keep the information at the level of the members of the class. I am doing a class for the cub scouts this July.

Bill in Montana

Let me know how things go, Bill. It didn't happen this past year, but we are still planning something next fall. I want the class to be something they will enjoy and hopefully spark some interest. Thanks!

Stick with basic machines. F2, Bounty Hunter, Ace series. Probably don't want to teach them on a Deus, CTX or V3I.

Scout Detecting

I did this for a scout camp. I borrowed as many ACE 250's as I could from folks. I ended up with 3. That worked great since you don't want too many in there at a time. I got on Ebay and bought a bunch of foreign coins and the day of the camp I roped off an area about 30' x 30' and then just threw a bunch of the coins in the grass all around. The boys could go in and detect and find 3 coins - they then had to choose one to keep and the other 2 came back to me. This gave the boys who weren't detecting something to do - it takes a while for them to decide which one to keep. We kept rotating in and out. This was a very popular thing and the kids all loved it. I tied in Leave No Trace and explained that we dig holes so that nobody can see them when we're done and we take all trash out with us when we leave. I also invited our local chapter of the GPAA - Gold Prospectors Association and they had a gold panning demonstration where the boys could pan for fools gold. The did have nuggets and little gold bars the scouts got to see and pass around. You're going to love this if you do it right. DO NOT bury the coins. That will create chaos. Leave the science behind too - a little isn't too bad but these boys love to hunt treasure, not study physics. Good luck!

Now that's a great activity! Too bad there are not many MDers in the Little Rock area ....if there were KT would organize this same kind of event for some local scouts! KT has two detectors, but it would be great to have at least one other as you did!

Back
Top Bottom