Is there any detector that will pick up coins 2"+ below rusted nails?

I read a lot of these threads and I see where you guys are coming from with the deus.Ive used it just the opposite of everyone else tho, I don't hunt nail and iron infested sites,I usually walk away from them when I run into that situation with any machine..
I use the deus in open fields for the weight,and speed to cover ground fast,and I use a shovel so holes don't need to be perfect in a field.
I use the Etrac or xterra in yards where I can't dig up every good sounding signal,gotta be selective there and that's where any Minelab shines,even the xterrra.

Last edited:
As mentioned before the deus shines in a carpet of iron or nails like mother machine I've used...

As i said too. Deus is not the only one.
The fisher i have does the same as the Deus does (as you could see yourself). While my fisher does not suffer from iron masking. This because of the (shortly used by fisher) technique which is the same as Deus has now.
And some others (like c-scopes) do this job great too.

And Etrac is a bad comparisation, while i think everyone knows the Etrac (as some other minelab types) has a horibble recovery time.

The site I'm hunting is loaded with iron (search for "Land of Silver") and the CTX is doing quite well. Hearing that the DEUS is good in iron I will be getting a one to go back over the area. Will update with the results someday.
It has a lot to do with the hunter & hunting style. I have gone back over areas I hit with the CTX with the CTX and still find stuff by coming from a different direction or after a good rain, different settings etc.
In the photo the red circle is around a piece of iron I pulled out first under the root and the barber was below it.

Attachments

• 20170629_192132.jpg
    20170629_192132.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 106
The site I'm hunting is loaded with iron (search for "Land of Silver") and the CTX is doing quite well. Hearing that the DEUS is good in iron I will be getting a one to go back over the area. Will update with the results someday.
It has a lot to do with the hunter & hunting style. I have gone back over areas I hit with the CTX with the CTX and still find stuff by coming from a different direction or after a good rain, different settings etc.
In the photo the red circle is around a piece of iron I pulled out first under the root and the barber was below it.

Don't have to convince me, I have seen it tooo many times with the CTX3030.... from myself and others, seen silver be pulled out with 1, 2 , 3 nails, and the 30 still tell the user the coin is there... I could show many pics like yours, but why bother, I done told em...lol

I'm hoping no one takes offense to this,but I wonder Somtimes when I see a picture like above,or when I make a find like above,,if the machine falsed on the iron and there just happened to be a coin nearby.

I'm hoping no one takes offense to this,but I wonder Somtimes when I see a picture like above,or when I make a find like above,,if the machine falsed on the iron and there just happened to be a coin nearby.

3030 with the target trace, i see both the iron and the coin on screen, two different colors, so I know there is iron pre dig, but it also shows me the coin in with the iron, so with the 3030 in MOST cases, the user can see there is iron also.

Target trace is the difference maker in iron, when I can see iron "blue" icon in relation to an "orange" icon, a coin.... I know a coin is in with iron...never surprised the iron was there, but often surprised the machine told me a coin was ther IN THE IRON, before I dug.

Seen it tooooo many times.... One recent one, walked behind my buddy with AT PRO 8x11 in coil...we were walking along a narrow strip along a fence, and he was walking in front of me.... I got a 12-40 on the CTX3030, which I though was kinda low for silver, but the TONE said it was silver, so I dug it.

It was an aluminum tax token, 2 nails, a Barber quarter and a piece of fencing... ON THE SCREEN< PRE DIG I could see it was a coin as I was able to build the icon to solid, but there was also a rusty streak on my screen and a blue icon bottom right corner... That tells a user two three things pre dig...

Tells me the orientation of the iron to the coin, tells me there is a coin, and told me there was also iron in with the target,

He watched me pull the nails, token, coin, then fencing all out of the hole that the 3030 TOLD ME had a silver coin down there.... My buddy just shook his head as he literally just walked over those targets!

I could name a few times I have hunted with him and replicated those results more than once. Another time, on a small volleyball court....I found a silver ring about 8 inches deep, within minutes of getting there...he comes over and says to me "You have no idea how many times I have detected this volley ball court!"

The difference maker is the ability to see multiple targets under my coil, on the screen at the same time, and being able to hone in on the better target , whereas with another machine i would get a tone and number... and have to use more guess work.

When a person is skilled with it, the 3030 is almost cheating it is THAT good...I have been testing metal detectors since 2011, I have used almost every brand, and sold many many metal detectors that I tested in the field first hand.

I can use ANY MACHINE I WANT AT ANY TIME...money isn't an issue, and through every machine I've used, even the DEUS, I will put my 3030 up against any machine and feel confident that if a good target is in with the nails, I will have as much or BETTER ability to find the targets.

Everyone has their favorites and what they like to use, but like I said, I could use any machine I wanted, and I have done that ...for a reason. The machine has proven itself time and time again, in spots pounded by others, which is EXACTLY why I got the 3030.... so I could come in behond others and find great targets, and it does it with ease....so for me, the best machine is the one that helps you be most successful and for me, it's no comparison which machine has been able to go into these spots I have tested machines on for 6 years and be able to make old sites new again. All I personally need to know. :)

Yep Target Trace is extremely useful for picking out goodies from iron or even good targets next to non-ferrous junk. You have to swing slower with the Minelabs but they are no slouch when it comes to hunting in iron.

I have used Deus since 2014 (edited got Deus March 2013 after researching dankowski forum post dates) and got CTX right after release

In a carpet of nails site,,,Deus has strong advantage using stock coils(11" coils)
This doesn't mean CTX won't find anything in a site like this.

But if a person thinks for one minute,,using a CTX with 11" coil in a site loaded with nails and iron, that they have cleaned out the site of all nonferrous.
Better think again!!!!
Now will the 6" coil help the CTX here?
Yes
But the 6" coil will also be restricted from seeing some of the nonferrous.

Now, with all this being said,,,can the CTX see some things nonferrous the Deus can't? Very possible.

But in the end,,if we did head to head using the 11" coils on both, and compared readings using each detector (using huntable settings) more nonferrous will be heard with Deus vs CTX.

But remember CTX still likely to give better ID on the targets it does alert on.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now, remember CTX is not the first fbs detector Minelab made.
Can CTX alert on some nonferrous targets older fbs can't?
Yep

My point is, if a manufacturer can make a detector that can see nonferrous in some scenarios, their older models can't.
Why would it be such a stretch to think another manufacturer couldn't do the same thing,,,hence Deus.
Make no mistake there are other models made by other manufactures that can do too.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people would be surprised at just how often these "perfect storm" goodies come to light simple because they timing was right and little to do with the detector.

Consistency. The key, or you just got lucky nothing else.

Well,
Here is something else to think about.
Mr Dankowski is a big fan of F75 unit.
He has commented after testing Xp Deus and or Xp Goldmaxx power that it violated some laws of physics albeit small.

Previously I had never seen him make this comment about another model detector period.
Very bold statement btw IMO.

What does this above mean actually, as far as in the field applications and performance.

I'll let others here comment on what they think.

I agree Detector. A lot of variables involved for sure. Like I mentioned in another post, I've found stuff behind all of my detectors using my other detectors. Just a few months ago I dug some silvers out of a spot using the CTX that I *thought* I had cleaned out with the Deus. When dealing with targets masked by iron, angle of approach is crucial. In my opinion based on my own experience, when hunting for high conductors like coins mixed with iron, CTX is right up there with the best of them. You just gotta slow your sweep speed. On lower conductors I think the Deus will find some targets that the CTX can't see.

Maybe a good example here to illustrate the difference.

Take a new corvette car and a Honda Civic.

We can find a stretch of road with a curve.
We can put radar guns on the cars and let them progressively go around the curve.
We can even study how much room each cars takes/needs as it rounds the curve.

Eventually the Honda Civic will not make the curve (stay on the road surface), but the corvette will continue to round the curve at faster speeds and stay on the surface.

Eventually the corvette will fail too as speed continues to be increased.

Now as both cars hit the turn, their initial placement on the surface as it relates to approaching the curve and speed will have positive or negative effects.
Which auto can more error be induced (be further out of best position) and make the turn at same lower and higher speed?
The corvette.

The above is very relatable when comparing Deus and CTX both wearing 11" coils.

It has been my experience that it is pretty much impossible to say X is better than Y when [fill in condition] is encountered. I've gone over small area with a multitude of detector trying to compare and what I find is sometime X finds the goods, something Y finds the goods. A lot has to do with proper setup for said condition for said detector. In other words, X can out perform Y when set better for the condition, or Y can outperform X if set meets the condition better.

That is why I have taken X to a location I have hunted to death with many other detector and it manages to pull out something good. The key is consistency. When you have a detector that can consistently pull goods from well hunted site, you have the makings of a great machine.

Thank you! When it's ALL said and done...results over time don't lie.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at just how often these "perfect storm" goodies come to light simple because they timing was right and little to do with the detector.

Consistency. The key, or you just got lucky nothing else.

I think you are right here in a lot of respects. It is the same as hunting the same sight with the same detector, no matter how good it is and still finding targets hunting in another direction. I hunt with my Impact and have discovered a lot of targets when I have hunted at 90 degrees from my original search. I am now hunting sites at 45 degree angles and finding new targets in the same site.

Your point on consistency in method is the key in any search.

I appreciate all the great responses! Has anyone done a test where you have two rusty big nails, say 16P, criss-crossed in an x fashion say 3" deep with a silver coin say at least 3" deeper directly under the point where the nails intersect. Which detectors out there will consistently hit the coin? I'm talking freshly buried. Has anyone found a coin directly under a couple of old rusty, big nails like this that was old (not a test plant)?

Another question will a detector have a better chance with the coin closer to the nails (still underneath them) or further below where there's more dirt between them?

I appreciate all the great responses! Has anyone done a test where you have two rusty big nails, say 16P, criss-crossed in an x fashion say 3" deep with a silver coin say at least 3" deeper directly under the point where the nails intersect. Which detectors out there will consistently hit the coin? I'm talking freshly buried. Has anyone found a coin directly under a couple of old rusty, big nails like this that was old (not a test plant)?

Another question will a detector have a better chance with the coin closer to the nails (still underneath them) or further below where there's more dirt between them?

To be honest,unless it just so happens that I see the position of stuff in the hole,I rarely know what was where. Even doing these tests or taking very careful notes and measurements...a couple degrees off on the swing can totally change the outcome of finding the coin or not. Me personally...I think there are ALOT more coins in the ground than some others may think. Maybe not stupid numbers,but I feel that we miss a lot based on angle of attack and sweep speed. If the coin is alone...and at a reasonable depth...you have more of a chance of getting the initial hit.
I just use a couple buried coins to make sure my machine is working correctly. Other than that,there are just too many variables to worry about the details,as the details can change at the crack of a hat.
It's best to just go HUNT, and know your machine as well as possible.

Last week I took a trip to upstate NY to an old farmstead that my sister owns. Her husband believes the main part of the old farmhouse to be early 1800's maybe even late 1700's the carriage house and barn are newer, but still over 100 years old. I went over and over the yard around the house with my F70 and got constant iron signals which for the most part were shallow 3-5" nails. If there were coins below that layer of nails I didn't find any. Is there any detector that will hit on coins say 2" or more below nails? And believe me, I dug a lot of iffy signals and most were bent nails that gave a false high tone and or numbers. I dug 11 wheats in a fairly small part of the yard and a little over 50 older memorials in the same basic area. Just wondering if I was passing over silver and couldn't pick it up because of the layer of nails? Just for kicks and ran my 8" compadre over the same area and only came up with one more wheatie and one or two more copper memorials. I have doubts that anything was really deep because as soon as I got past the 3-4" of topsoil the soil was very stony like river gravel, but some of the pennies I found were in the 5" area right in the gravel/stones.
Just out of curiosity, where did you have the Compadre set?

I have used Deus since 2014 (edited got Deus March 2013 after researching dankowski forum post dates) and got CTX right after release

In a carpet of nails site,,,Deus has strong advantage using stock coils(11" coils)
This doesn't mean CTX won't find anything in a site like this.

But if a person thinks for one minute,,using a CTX with 11" coil in a site loaded with nails and iron, that they have cleaned out the site of all nonferrous.
Better think again!!!!

Yeah. For both. And after hunters with deus and 3030 have hunted a spot emty, when i (or anyone else) go hunting after that with no matter which of my detectors i always find some nice stuff again.
It never is empty. There's always nice stuff left behind.

How come?? ;)

·ʎɐʍ uʍo ɹıəɥʇ ı pooɓ əɹɐ ๅๅꓯ ·ɹoʇɔəʇəp ʇɔəɟɹəd ou sˌəɹəɥꓕ :ɹəʍsuꓯ

Just out of curiosity, where did you have the Compadre set?

I almost always set it around the "i" or "r" in iron (learned that from another compadre user on this forum, I think it was Groundsweeper). Then I usually thumb the disc knob for a little more info. Copper pennys, dimes, and quarters don't disc out so if I peg the knob, it's usually a coin.

Back
Top Bottom