What to charge?

My main interest in detecting is historical. I prefer bringing bits and pieces of our history to the service. But I do offer a free recovery service for people who need help. I've never charged.

Got a message yesterday. A man who I helped last year said his father owns some property where a Confederate camp is believed to have been. He says there are a couple of trenches and his father wants it searched.

BUT, he wants to pay me instead of sharing the finds. I know nothing of the condition of the property. It might be heavily overgrown and full of roots. This could be very labor intensive. There may be lots of finds or nothing. Do I charge by the hour or the find? How much?

I have no idea what his plans for the finds might be either. If he plans on selling them, I want a fair exchange for my time, efforts, equipment and experience.

I've about decided to pass altogether but I've never had an opportunity like this and I'd like to try it.

Thoughts? Advice?

I was just focusing on that he said he wants to pay you, so that indicates he is okay with compensating you for your time, work, equipment usage, and knowledge.

You might ask that since you are more accustomed to at least having a share of the finds instead of getting paid, what would he consider fair compensation for your time as far as paying you, that way you can decide if it is worth your effort or just find another place to hunt where you can keep some finds.

Back
Top Bottom