AT Pro Question on detection

demyansk1942

Elite Member
I use the atp and using the 5x8 coil. I often run the machine in coin mode. I get hits at time when swinging in one direction and then going the other way, no signal. Often, a positive hit beeps in both directions. What do you recommend and still new with this machine. Probably 300 hours with Fisher vs 15 hours with atp.
Thanks

Or any links for the best atp posts

Not sure if you seen this 4 part series yet, but just in case it might be of help -

this is part 1 of the 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

This is either a coin on edge (though the signal won't be so strong), or more commonly a nail. Iron response to vlf metal detectors in a directionally dependent manner. You can sweep in one direction and get a good signal. Sweep 90 degrees from that and nothing (assuming you are discriminating out iron). Non-ferrous materials do not have this very annoying characteristic.

One word of advice I'd offer - as soon as possible learn to use pro mode! it's what makes the AT Pro a great all around machine (in my newbie opinion), but takes a little patience to learn and you'll often get LOTS of noise in trashy places. Worth it in the long run!

I have yet to find a coin on edge that way , not saying it don't happen just that I haven't necessarily seen it. Usually those one way hits are either multiple targets , like a high tone target right next to a discriminated target , or trash that is partially discriminated out. Say you have a coin or other high tone target next to a piece of iron.....if the coin is the first target the coil passes over you can get a high tone from that direction and then the iron is ignored.....but when passing the other way the iron gets disc'd out and before the machine can retune to pick up the coin next to it the coil has passed over it.....target now out of the detection signal. The ATP is has a fast retune time and normally is good at separating targets but if they are positioned just right in the soil you may not get a separation , only a one way hit.

In over 20 years of detecting , and atleast 3 of those years with the ATP , I cant say that Ive ever found a verified coin on edge....though a few appeared that way after I dug and disturbed the soil....its very hard to tell if the coin was on edge before you started digging , they usually get that way as you dig. I wouldn't be surprised if most.....if not all reports of coins detected on edge were actually coins very near iron or clump of minerals in the soil that cancelled out the hit in one direction. Not only is it difficult for a detector to hit on a coin on edge , but the only way to be sure it was on edge would be to leave the soil around it completely undisturbed , packed and intact somehow and the odds of that happening as you are digging it up are not very good. I wont say it cant happen , but try doing it on purpose....I bet you cant.

I will have to stick with the target being trash , a coin right next to trash , rusted away iron , etc.... , or something environmental that causes the one way hits. I have found coins with one way hits but the majority of them that I dig are not.

As a newbie I really don't have any experience to draw on but in order to gain the experience I'm "digging it all" just to see what gave me the tone. I get a lot of trash but that's what the 5 gal. bucket in the jeep is for. Like SalemDan says I'm using the Pro made only. A lot of the girls and guys on Youtube are now taking the time to let us hear the sounds and see the number before they dig and I find that helps a lot. GL&HH!

Back
Top Bottom