Glory days!! I was there!!

Cupajo

Elite Member
This was posted first back in '09 on another forum.

The first pic , taken in 1984 shows the finds from late ’82 through 1983.
The second one, taken in ’85, shows everything from '82 through 1984.
The third, taken in ’86, shows the results of a little over three years of hunting with two Garrett’s XL500 PIs. They were the best I could afford at the time and I never saw anything better being used where I was hunting.

I never counted silver rings, only gold!!

Last count after a little over three years ---275 gold rings!!!

Over the passing years I gave away a few, returned 33 to the owners and to meet a financial obligation, sold the rest when gold hit $635.00 per ounce!

Silver-----------maybe fifteen pounds and to clear up some space I had sold maybe half that much back in the ‘80s, so you can imagine the pile with half again as much silver!!!

Factor in the total time spent hunting and the return = maybe $5.00 per hour!!!

Enjoyment from hunting and returning rings----Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah the good old days!!!

It is typical of us humans not to appreciate how great things are at any given time in our lives!

When I found all this treasure I was grateful for the finds and the experience, but didn't realize at the time that it wouldn't go on as it had.

There would be no more days of finding 6 gold rings in 2-3 hours hunting and there would be more and more hunters competing for the spoils!

I am grateful for having been there at a time when I could experience the thrill of those days and for having the good luck of acquiring the right equipment to meet the task!

I have my old friend Bill Peckam at Will Jean's Detectors at Killingworth, Connecticut to thank for steering me to what was the most comprehensive equipment at that time the Garrett's XL500PI detectors.

No one else locally was armed with the hunting weapons I had!!

The results are evident!

Bill moved to Florida and when I tried to reach him recently I wasn't able to make contact.

Hope you're well and enjoying life Bill!!

All the rings in these pictures came from Sound View and the other Connecticut beaches close by.

I could never see the need to run all over the countryside for hunting grounds when there was treasure to be found at my doorstep!

I have never hunted Hammonaset or any of the other local beaches for that reason.

I may be forced to move one day if I can no longer find anything here!

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

Attachments

• Diablo Gold 013 (Large).jpg
    Diablo Gold 013 (Large).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 603
  • Diablo Gold 015 (Large).jpg
    Diablo Gold 015 (Large).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 599
  • Diablo Gold 018 (Large).jpg
    Diablo Gold 018 (Large).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 721
My only question, did you keep your first "good" find? Mine I don't think I would ever part with. The only piece of jewelry I ever wear on occasion is that first "good" find. :)

Nice to see someone else from the "Good Old Days". Wasn't hunting fantastic back then? My last 4 hunts a total of 12 COINS. How I miss the "good old days" Thank you so much for sharing and reminding us what it use to be like. Your success was awesome!!!!!

I started detecting in the 70's but since I was only 16, I was dumb, had a cheap detector and didn't have easy access to the beach. A couple of older hunters who lived near the beaches showed me boxes of silver coins and trays of gold rings that they had found there. Still, I prefered dirt hunting in parks and schools back then.
After I got out of the Navy I would only hunt a couple of times a year- mostly in freshwater lakes. About 2 years ago a co-worker asked me about detectors and when I read about the newer technology I decided to get a PI and try the beaches again. Wish I had done this year's ago when there were fewer hunters around! HH!

Nice story again CJ... CJ and I have hunted a couple times this year and we chatted over lunch about his finds from the last century :D Sorry CJ I couldn't help myself :)

Lot`sa big gold in there. I was noticing a lack of ladies rings , was that all of them , were you giving away the ladies jewelry?
Funny... Some of my years were pretty good but the majority of my finds were ladies rings. Gave away allot of them at birthdays and Christmas.
Nice pile there. Congrats.

"we chatted over lunch about his finds from the last century "

That's all right Craig, your time is coming!!:lol:

CJ

Good story.

I think there are still plenty of beaches out there that have never been hunted hard (especially outside of America), I imagine 20 years of hunting your local beaches will make the gold finds scarce... You still see guys in japan, etc. pulling out impressive numbers... you just have to find the beaches that everyone overlooked. (I haven't found my honey hole yet...)

Being that we are in America... and metal detecting was a fad back in the 80's, and maybe even more popular now, it's going to be harder for us to find those untouched beaches... but I'm sure they are out there... somewhere... so I'll continue to hit new beaches all the time, hoping to come across a gold mine...

Good story.

I think there are still plenty of beaches out there that have never been hunted hard (especially outside of America), I imagine 20 years of hunting your local beaches will make the gold finds scarce... You still see guys in japan, etc. pulling out impressive numbers... you just have to find the beaches that everyone overlooked. (I haven't found my honey hole yet...)

Being that we are in America... and metal detecting was a fad back in the 80's, and maybe even more popular now, it's going to be harder for us to find those untouched beaches... but I'm sure they are out there... somewhere... so I'll continue to hit new beaches all the time, hoping to come across a gold mine...

Back in the "old days" you didn't have to look for a never hunted beach, they were all like that. Here in Fl there are NO beaches that have been over looked. If it is on Google Earth, has a parking lot or access, it's been hunted and usually hunted hard. What we pray for is some sand movement then being one of the first there. It is exciting to see ChicagoRon has found such a beach and it's not even on an ocean.

Thanks for sharing your treasure chest with us, Cup O Joe.

You told us how many gold rings you found in three years in the mid-80's. How many gold have you found in the past 3 years? Just want to measure the decline in gold finds.

Raphis

I don't know Raphis.:?:

When the total reached 300 I quit counting!:grin:

I found it too hard to keep count.:(

Sorry,

CJ

"we chatted over lunch about his finds from the last century "

That's all right Craig, your time is coming!!:lol:

CJ

Sorry Lew, I couldn't help myself ;) Question for you... was the gold of higher carat back then or like it is today?

There is probably hundreds if not thousands of rings still out there.. they might be in deeper water or so deep our detectors just can't reach them...

Craig
There is probably hundreds if not thousands of rings still out there.. they might be in deeper water or so deep our detectors just can't reach them...
:waytogo:

I agree 100%, ChiRon (70 Gold) and SurfnTurf (70 gold) are perfect examples..Right place at the right time...

Now Craig is a different story, He is a true hunter, and looks like CJ is also

Awesome pictures..I also wish I would have started to hunt when I was younger...I have lived in some older places and I think I would have done good...You did very well.......Buster....:grin:

It's amazing how many rings I have found practically in the tracks I left the day before.

The old saying that missing by an inch is as good as a mile is true.

Swinging lower and slower pays dividends as long as you aren't following Craig!:roll:

Every time I hunt I find targets I hadn't found before even when going over the same ground time and again.:?:

Granted, the precious metal targets are few, but they do pop up from time to time as my posts have shown.:yes:

As I have said many times in the past, I ain't found 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!:lol:

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

PS Craig, I have noticed that most of the senior rings are 10K or some alloy other than gold now where many were 14K in years past.

My only question, did you keep your first "good" find? Mine I don't think I would ever part with. The only piece of jewelry I ever wear on occasion is that first "good" find. :)

I posted my first ring find a while back. It was a woman's art carved wedding band and my wife has almost worn it out since she started wearing it. It came out of the dry sand with the help of a White's 6,000 DI in 1982.

There was no inscription and it looked new.

It's amazing how many rings I have found practically in the tracks I left the day before.

The old saying that missing by an inch is as good as a mile is true.

Swinging lower and slower pays dividends as long as you aren't following Craig!:roll:

Every time I hunt I find targets I hadn't found before even when going over the same ground time and again.:?:

Granted, the precious metal targets are few, but they do pop up from time to time as my posts have shown.:yes:

As I have said many times in the past, I ain't found 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!:lol:

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

PS Craig, I have noticed that most of the senior rings are 10K or some alloy other than gold now where many were 14K in years past.

Couple years ago I was chatting with Gary Storm after tellling him I met his business and hunting buddy Carter at a beach I hunt frequently, Carter was testing a new Detector Pro detector anyway Gary and I were chatting about beaches I have been successful on and almost everyone of of the beaches I hunt he has hunted by sea... he would pull up and anchor off shore and really clean up in water 10 to 20 feet out of reach of most beach hunters... if those rings are out there maybe some day a big storm could replenish our beaches with old yellow stuff ;) its why many say a beach is never hunted out :)

Back
Top Bottom