va metal detecting laws???

labradigger1

Anyone know the laws regarding metal detecting in culpeper county va. I just received permission to hunt on 500 plus acres of privar land.

Private land is pretty much ok anywhere in the world. In VA it's pretty much the ONLY place you're allowed to hunt.

Anyone know the laws regarding metal detecting in culpeper county va. I just received permission to hunt on 500 plus acres of privar land.

If you have permission for private property you are golden. Va has some strict laws, battlefields and historic sites are off limits. State parks are questionable, some laws state that for state parks if the ranger or park manager gives you permission then your good to go.

That's awesome that you got a site in Culpeper, lots of CW history there... Let me know if you want a hunting partner, I am less than 30 miles from Culpeper...:D

If you have permission for private property you are golden. Va has some strict laws, battlefields and historic sites are off limits. State parks are questionable, some laws state that for state parks if the ranger or park manager gives you permission then your good to go.

That's awesome that you got a site in Culpeper, lots of CW history there... Let me know if you want a hunting partner, I am less than 30 miles from Culpeper...:D

I second that. It's hard to find any public area in VA that you're allowed to MD on. Even the county and city parks have restrictions. I don't know what good anything is embedded in the ground. I've just gotten into MDing and am finding it hard to find anywhere to go. I'm from Fauquier originally and live just north of Front Royal now. I'd be up for a trip to if you want someone to hunt with.

I used to live in VA., first time I MD too was on private land. VA. does have really strict rules, I heard they will take your car and MD. Good luck.

I think the strictness depends on the county. You may detect national forest as long as it's not an "old" site meaning no home foundations or old home sites. However, old abandoned picnic areas or modern areas are okay. Posted policy allows for up to six inch deep holes. Amateur rock hounding is allowed. Army Corp land has rules but those in charge are very lenient.

I think the strictness depends on the county. You may detect national forest as long as it's not an "old" site meaning no home foundations or old home sites. However, old abandoned picnic areas or modern areas are okay. Posted policy allows for up to six inch deep holes. Amateur rock hounding is allowed. Army Corp land has rules but those in charge are very lenient.

I would research this info before heading out into the NPS property with a detector. I'm not contradicting the above info, but I'm not sure about this. All the NPS (federal) property around here is totally off limits. Protected by huge fines and prison time. You're not even suppose to sight see in the parks with a detector in the car. Also schools and parks are a no go. This may just be around my area, but NPS/federal property rules and regulations are national right? Just wondering where this info came from, and if the Army Corps of Engineers has a website with detecting rules posted. Thanks!

Stay away from md anywhere public in Fairfax County unless you want your detector taken away, fined, put in jail, gun pointed at you or any 1+ of the above.

I would research this info before heading out into the NPS property with a detector. I'm not contradicting the above info, but I'm not sure about this. All the NPS (federal) property around here is totally off limits. Protected by huge fines and prison time. You're not even suppose to sight see in the parks with a detector in the car. Also schools and parks are a no go. This may just be around my area, but NPS/federal property rules and regulations are national right? Just wondering where this info came from, and if the Army Corps of Engineers has a website with detecting rules posted. Thanks!

Whether you are metal detecting, deer hunting, or carrying a gun, you need to know the difference between national forest (USFS) and the National Park Service (NPS). The national forests, in Virginia that's Thomas Jefferson National Forest and George Washington National Forest, are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. As per personal communication with a forester and a ranger in Jan., 2012, there are no TJ or GW specific rules concerning metal detecting. general rules are: only modern areas and six inch or less holes. You cannot detect old foundations or home sites. You may deer hunt, turkey hunt and carry exposed firearms during legal hunting seasons. Forest laws are enforced by Forest Rangers as opposed to a Forester. They have powers of arrest and carry weapons.

The National Park Service lands, meaning the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, The Wilderness, etc. are administered by the Department of the Interior. No metal detecting is allowed. No deer or turkey hunting is allowed. No carrying of exposed firearms allowed. Park laws are enforced by Park Rangers. They have powers of arrest and carry weapons. If you're caught on NPS property, you will be put under the federal jail.

Both are federal property but it's up to you to know the difference and the laws pertaining to each. I am a hunter educator for VDGIF and am always frustrated about the number of people that don't know the difference.

Whether you are metal detecting, deer hunting, or carrying a gun, you need to know the difference between national forest (USFS) and the National Park Service (NPS). The national forests, in Virginia that's Thomas Jefferson National Forest and George Washington National Forest, are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. As per personal communication with a forester and a ranger in Jan., 2012, there are no TJ or GW specific rules concerning metal detecting. general rules are: only modern areas and six inch or less holes. You cannot detect old foundations or home sites. You may deer hunt, turkey hunt and carry exposed firearms during legal hunting seasons. Forest laws are enforced by Forest Rangers as opposed to a Forester. They have powers of arrest and carry weapons.

The National Park Service lands, meaning the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah National Park, The Wilderness, etc. are administered by the Department of the Interior. No metal detecting is allowed. No deer or turkey hunting is allowed. No carrying of exposed firearms allowed. Park laws are enforced by Park Rangers. They have powers of arrest and carry weapons. If you're caught on NPS property, you will be put under the federal jail.

Both are federal property but it's up to you to know the difference and the laws pertaining to each. I am a hunter educator for VDGIF and am always frustrated about the number of people that don't know the difference.

Cool, thanks for clarifying the difference between the two. Great information.

Thanks, real good information, I sure miss VA.

Thanks a bunch! Didn't realize there is difference between National Forests and National Parks. Wonder why more people don't relic hunt the GW & TJ forests. They probably don't realize the difference either. I was camping in GW last month and saw lots of hunters in the area. I was wondering if it was legal. Thanks again for clearing it up.

Check my post again. Relic hunting is against the law in the national forest. I think I stated it as old foundations, etc. Hunting for modern items such as lost rings and coinage is okay at modern sites, i.e. picnic areas, campgrounds, etc. I've detected an old abandoned picnic area and felt okay about it. Of course, I only found pop tops. While I think only a zealous ranger would search you, you might be in violation if you found a silver dollar older than a hundred years old in a parking lot, even though it could have been lost yesterday. I hate to split hairs but that's the way it is. Maybe a rule of thumb would be, if it was there before the national forests were established, then it's probably not okay to hunt there. The head of the national forests in NC says you can't hunt there at all.

In other words you can metal detect anywhere except where it matters! What's the point? That's like saying you can fish anywhere except where there are fish. I'd like to find the Government funded sociopaths that write these edicts and make them live under their own rules.

Back
Top Bottom