The dreaded lead

Sandsweeper

Went MDing to my local beach with my MD buddy and all I found was mainly lead ( so I just throw it into a bucket and weigh in when full). The thing is I was using my Fisher F44 and sometimes I was getting readings of mid 40's and other times high 90s. Is this normal?

I have no problem digging lead b/c it gets repurposed into jigs or used as is for deep sea fishing. I found 44 bank sinkers on saturday alone.

Lead is always good to recycle. I find 2 pound sinkers here and sell them back to the fishermen. Or I sell them to bait stores.

I save all my lead in a 5 gallon bucket and all my brass in another one. Brings in a bit of cash at the end of the season.

Lead is always good to recycle. I find 2 pound sinkers here and sell them back to the fishermen. Or I sell them to bait stores.

I save all my lead in a 5 gallon bucket and all my brass in another one. Brings in a bit of cash at the end of the season.

2 pound sinkers??? Good god is that some sort of trolling rig? Man, I hate throwing over 10oz. That must be fun carrying in the finds pouch.

"is that a 2lb sinker in your pouch or are you just happy to see me" :laughing:

2 pound sinkers??? Good god is that some sort of trolling rig? Man, I hate throwing over 10oz. That must be fun carrying in the finds pouch.

LOL, NO trolling rigs. The river through my town goes 8 knots. They use 25lb test line and 2lb sinkers off the seawall. I get a buck each for them.

Me, diving off the seawall. Depth at the edge is 25 - 30' in most spots:

Went MDing to my local beach with my MD buddy and all I found was mainly lead ( so I just throw it into a bucket and weigh in when full). The thing is I was using my Fisher F44 and sometimes I was getting readings of mid 40's and other times high 90s. Is this normal?

As far as being normal, yes, lead often rings up on my machines as some where between gold and silver. Much depends on the size depth and position of the lead your detecting.

Looks at it this way your pulling a toxin out of the environment doing nature a service and making a few $$ at the same time. I always sell mine to fishing shops of just plant turn it in for recycle at around 50 cents per pound give or take.

WOW! You guys are going about it wrong. I've watched twenty pounds of lead go for as much as $50 at an open auction.
Scubadetector, I think you're shorting yourself at .50/lb, especially since there's very few, if any, lead refineries in the U.S. anymore.

There's much more intrinsic value in lead these days, especially among bullet casters. Check out the pricing on lead and shot next time you're in your local sporting goods store.

Roger

Gold is heavy, lead is heavier :D If you're finding lead, the good stuff could be nearby. That might not always be true if you're hunting an area with minimal sand/mud/muck or an area that only gets fishermen and no swimmers but generally lead is a good thing. :yes::grin:

:laughing::laughing:

I got 200lbs of lead sitting around here...a lot of it sells at the garage sale to guys who cast their own gear...or as is to re purpose...
I've been thinking of doing a run to the scrap place though and offloading it all...I have no idea what the place is paying for lead...easy enough to check I guess, just too lazy to even think about hauling it in...:laughing:

If you are on the lead, wading for gold, you are right where you want to be..

I love finding lead sinkers and not just because his buddy gold may be nearby. I am always looking for more lead for bullet casting since they started making many wheel weights out of zinc and I am too blind to be able to tell them apart without doing the whole science thing on each one. So yeah, I'm lazy too.
Remember: 1 man's trash is another's treasure.

Back
Top Bottom