Retirement Planning

I've had lots of relatives move to Florida, but they all moved back to New England eventually. Why? Can't take the heat, humidity, endless tropical rainstorms, gators, pythons, frogs, lizards, bugs and so on. Every place has good and bad features.

One thing for sure. You will not hear many people from the south say they are retiring and moving north.

That's because they can't afford to live up here! The cost of living in the North is ridiculously high. The dumpiest one bedroom apartment is $800 a month in RI. And a little pink house with no land will run you $175,000 minimum.

They also tax us to death on everything we own. They have to in order to pay for all the sweetheart pensions the politicians have given to their relatives over the past 40 years. Corruption runs deep around here...

That's because they can't afford to live up here! The cost of living in the North is ridiculously high. The dumpiest one bedroom apartment is $800 a month in RI. And a little pink house with no land will run you $175,000 minimum.

They also tax us to death on everything we own. They have to in order to pay for all the sweetheart pensions the politicians have given to their relatives over the past 40 years. Corruption runs deep around here...

Very true, I live about 15 miles north of Boston and in my town you would need 350k minimum to buy a house here, $1,200- $1,500 for a one bedroom apt. and about $1,800-$2,300 for a two bed apt. And like you said they tax us to death here as well, I have a modest 2 bedroom house on a bit over a half an acre of land and my property taxes have gone over $6k a year. My family and I will be moving to Maine hopefully in the next year or two for more land and lower cost of living, I sure can't retire here.

I have been looking at the Bull Shores lake area along the Missouri Arkansas line with a plan to head south for a month in the winter and maybe a couple of weeks of vacationing way up north in the worst of summer. I'm at least 5 years out, and still just dreaming. A vacation rental I stayed at is for sale for 250k, on the lake with a big dock, only 2 problems, it's a dry county, beer is a 53 mile round trip away and I don't have 250k. I was surprised at how much home you can get close to the lake for less than 100k.

WOW going to hate them housing prices. Here in good old simple Kansas you can rent a house for around $500. Average cost for a house, unless you buy up north in the rich district, is around $50,000. I paid $5,700 for my 15 room,3 bedroom and detached garage with oversized lot. No I didn't miss any 0's it was $5,700.

We can afford it. We just know better!

A vacation rental I stayed at is for sale for 250k, on the lake with a big dock, only 2 problems, it's a dry county, beer is a 53 mile round trip away and I don't have 250k.

:laughing::laughing: Loved It!

In our chosen sport, a guy should be traveling with the seasons anyway, renting or squatting or couch surfing or something, NOT owning a permanent stationary dwelling...always on the move and on the hunt...like the Mongols....

We can afford it. We just know better!

To each his own, I guess. Not many places better than New England for metal detecting. The fields and woods are full of 1700's coins and relics, the beaches are loaded with silver and gold jewelry and the parks and ballfields give up huge amounts of silver coins and 1800's coppers.

Added to all those great finds are the Rev War relics, the 1600's tree shillings and the ridiculous number of GW buttons found here and you have a dream spot to detect!

To each his own, I guess. Not many places better than New England for metal detecting. The fields and woods are full of 1700's coins and relics, the beaches are loaded with silver and gold jewelry and the parks and ballfields give up huge amounts of silver coins and 1800's coppers.

Added to all those great finds are the Rev War relics, the 1600's tree shillings and the ridiculous number of GW buttons found here and you have a dream spot to detect!

Sounds like the old sayin; "its a great plact to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!".

man you southerns are talking crazy! Love it up here in the north east, less spiders that kill you or make your skin rot off, only venomous snake is timber rattler which is still usually 30 miles from me, no giant flying cockroaches, termites are not a problem, no fire ants, dehydration/no water is never a real threat, less ticks, no chiggers, maple syrup, old history so densely populated that you literally just trip over it. You do have a great point about taxs and cost of living, the gun control bs and so on. Still worth it at the moment though.

man you southerns are talking crazy! Love it up here in the north east, less spiders that kill you or make your skin rot off, only venomous snake is timber rattler which is still usually 30 miles from me, no giant flying cockroaches, termites are not a problem, no fire ants, dehydration/no water is never a real threat, less ticks, no chiggers, maple syrup, old history so densely populated that you literally just trip over it. You do have a great point about taxs and cost of living, the gun control bs and so on. Still worth it at the moment though.

Yep.....how's that weather looking?

Know what I no longer own?

A snow shovel.

Back
Top Bottom