Question about jewelry and coins

MidTN

I'm new to this and have a question about finding jewelry or coins. If you decide to sell the jewelry where do you sell it? Pawn shops, Ebay and Coinstar.

For coins, I bought a tumbler. Clean them up and put it in savings. My bank has a free coin counter and deposits straight to the account. The savings paid for the tumbler and less coins get rejected.
I keep all copper pennies.
Of course, I keep all the silver. ( all 3 of 'em) :lol:

Gold and silver I keep in case of financial hardship. When my son gets old enough, it's his.

If I were to sell, I would post to craigslist or offerup at spot price or more to scrappers or people looking for jewelry.

Last edited:
Well, it varies. A lot. Clad coins often just get washed and spent. Many will take their cleaned clad to the Coinstar, and either accept the Coinstar's percentage cut, or accept an Amazon card for the full amount. I take my cleaned clad to my bank, and dump it into their machine, and get paid the full amount. Jewelry, now, depends on a few things. If it's precious metal, but worn or damaged, many will save it up until they get a good enough amount, and send it in to a mail order refinery like Midwest or ARA. (They send perfectly good pieces in too) I can't tell you about that because I haven't done that yet. I find I can get good money for just about anything made of gold, on Ebay. Scrap gold goes for around the current melt value. You can look that up online. Nice pieces go for melt or better. Certain brand names, or jewelry with quality precious stones can bring way more money than the melt rate. Ebay is also a way to sell relics in sellable condition. Got silver or even gold coins? Establish yourself as a forum member in good standing, and sell them on this site. Lots of buyers here. Pawn shops and coin shops are an easy, quick cash sale, but pay you low, and sell high. Having said all this, I subscribe to Gauntlet's one-line answer. :grin:

Pawn shops if you want 40 percent of what the gold or silver in the jewelry is worth. There are refineries that will pay much more for precious metal. Nice jewelry should not be scrapped. E-Bay, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace are places that you can get better value for your jewelry. Some individuals might like the piece and you can sell direct.

Clad coins get tumbled (if they're dirty), and most get deposited into the bank, others I spend. My bank has a free coin sorter so I just use that.

Old coins go into 2x2 holders and I put them into a file.

For now I'm holding onto jewellery. If I were to sell, I'd probably do so in private or over eBay, but never to a pawn store because they rip you off.

If it is an occasional gold ring here and there find someone local who pays a fair price, if it is a good amount deal with one of the big places.

Wasn't ARA the outfit that changed hands recently and the new owner was cussin out detectorists and other people that sent in small orders? didn't he say he didn't want our business?

Back
Top Bottom