Discrimination on audio only systems without modulation

nippip

I have read some great forum posts on how to use sound only MD but one was for modulated audio systems

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14711&highlight=understanding+sounds

And the other seemed like you needed about 30 years in the drivers seat to hear the differences.

I am just looking for some solid tips on using the audio only systems without modulation. The Tesoro Compadre is the one I am thinking about getting.

Thank you,

Nippin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2I9mKo0Nk

Good choice.
The more experienced can use this one and can usually make better educated target guesses than newbies.

It's like ike learning to swim.
You can take a library full of books about swimming and read them all, watch hours of swimmers on video, but if you jump into a pool with no experience you will immediately sink like a stone.
However, with a little bit of practice and you can spend more time on top of the water instead of under.
More practice, you can get pretty good.

You know how you learn best in this and most other hobbies, or sports...or even in life?
Like Nike says, just do it!

Most recommend when you are just starting, you do exactly what this detector is set up to do...beep and dig.
The more you dig, the more you learn and will eventually get more information from those beeps and by manipulating that lonely little knob.
Confusing at first, but the learning process is easy and fun.

20-30-40 years experience helps, but most newbies with this unit have a great time and find some pretty cool stuff right out of the gate.

The more you dig, the better you get at learning the language.
It doesn't take all that long to get pretty good at this language.
It does take longer to master.

Tips here...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=66627

This hobby is all about learning, it begins with your first swing and signal, and continues on and gets even better as you spend time doing this wonderful thing we do.

HH

I started with and still use (at least some of the time) beep and dig detectors. After I'd hunted a lot, I began to notice that even with the so called single tone, I could sometimes hear very subtle differences that gave hints as to whether the target was likely junk or something better. It's very helpful to practice over different targets and thumb the discrimination knob until the signal becomes scratchy or clicky and drops out. I've got one Tesoro that I can do this with that has marks where nickels, tabs, zincs all fall off and with a bit of practice have gotten to where I can determine the coins nearly as well as my TID machines although it might take me just abit longer as I swing the coil several times listening to the response.
Two thoughts about this however, first, like most folks, I absolutely couldn't notice any difference in the tone at first and -- be aware that sometimes coin or jewelry targets depending on depth, how they lie in the soil, and detector settings can give a convincing "junk" tone sometimes, as well.
Last, but not least, decent headphones are a must for this.
BB

Back
Top Bottom