• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Too Nervous to MD in Parking Strips..

Kitten_Mittens

So I know parking strips are great to metal detect in but I'm way too nervous to MD there because last year when I first started I had a woman threatening to call the cops on me. It made me super uncomfortable and I'm really not good with confrontation. How does everyone here handle those situations? What if the cops are called? I'm sorry if this has already been asked, navigating this forum is a little confusing.

If the parking strips in your town are city owned, then they are public property and you can detect them. Since the homeowner usually maintains the strip (mow, fertilize, weed,....), they do have a vested interest in keeping it neat. Therein lies the problem.

To avoid confrontation as much as possible, go just after sunrise and keep it neat!

I was just like you when I first started. had the cops called on me soooo many times. Every time they just come and say either "You can't do that here" or "You're not doing anything wrong but I got a call". Either way I always say "Sorry to have made work for you, I'll move on". Never an issue. Any time a regular joe comes up to me its either to have a nice convo or yell at me. If they're yelling I usually say "Oh sorry, I didn't even realize! I've only found mostly trash as you can see. But check out this awesome (date) coin I found! Sorry about detecting here, I'll move on"... Literally every time except for once I've been told "ya know what, I can see you're really respectful of the property, keep going, let me know how you make out.".

But you do need thick skin in this hobby.

Rudy & Eric have good advice.

Rudy is basically saying that you just need to pick more discreet/opportune times, when such lookie-lou gripers are not inclined to be roaming about. But sure, that's no fun to have try to find "low traffic times" and have the mentallity of "sneaking around", etc... , is it ?

So Eric has wise advise that in this hobby, you have to develop a thick skin. Ie.: to realize that that not every last person is going to love and adore you. And that your hobby has "connotations" [that you might be about to "take something" or "leave a hole", etc....].

If either of the above 2 notions are uncomfortable for you, then yes: curb strip hunting will not be for you. You'll have to resort to something like private property with permission, or beaches, etc....

I don't care if it's city owned or not I'd kill you if you hunted my easement without permission. I have an award winning yard mind you but still. Also I thought this when I first got into detecting and this city owned thing is not true here at all. The city owns curbstrips here as well but are relinquished control to the home owner thus far making them private property. The physical sidewalk itself and the back ally easement are the only 2 that are owned and controlled by the city. In all reality about the first 15 feet of your property and about 5 feet in from the sides and about 5-15 feet of the back depending how it's set up is probably owned by the city. The question you need to figure out is who has control over it. Ownership doesn't mean permission think of your yard like an indefinite lease. City owns the land but you lease it giving you control to do what you want to it.

I always ask permission just to hunt someone's curb strip and then it usually turns into permission to hunt their yard. I've never been yelled at I've never been threatened I've never had the cops called on me. It's soo easy I just ask if I can hunt the city owned part of their yard pretty much and that's it they 9out of 10 times say yes. Now you can hunt without stress. Or being an absoulte <<<Deleted by Admin. Kindly curb your expletives>>>and pissing people off by being on what's technically private property without permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I think once I get a brass probe I'll try to ask permission. I think it will be less intimidating than showing up asking to metal detect with a shovel O.o And maybe I'll just metal detect the parking strips of vacant houses for now.

Thanks everyone. I think once I get a brass probe I'll try to ask permission. I think it will be less intimidating than showing up asking to metal detect with a shovel O.o And maybe I'll just metal detect the parking strips of vacant houses for now.

There are a lot of really long curb strips along old factories, commercial buildings, and apartment complexes around here.. The one good thing the have going for them is the numbers of people...

Might be some places to try first and get warmed up...

<*)))>{

But you do need thick skin in this hobby.

Very True. That's for sure..

So we headed to hunt a small (i.e. not even big enough for a police department) town this past weekend. This man drives up and comes over to my buddy and they have the following dialogue:

(initial pleasantries....)

Man: "well we don't appreciate you guys coming over to our public park and poking holes and digging up stuff"

Buddy: "Umm sir, exactly this is a public park..."

Man: "How would you feel if someone came over to your neighborhood park and dug up stuff?"

Buddy: "I don't think i'd have a problem with it sir"

Man: "Well what's your name?"

Buddy: "my name is xxx"

Man: "well I'm xxxxx"

(old man storms off in anger and slams the door to his pickup truck.)

We hunted until we finished the park and left peacefully and uneventful.

Some people just feel the need to "defend" their property...or "their park"

Just as each town has different laws on what can be done in curb strips, each of us has different opinions on how we may go about hunting or not hunting them.

Please be respectful of each others views!

I've read on this forum (I think) about people wearing bright orange work vests when doing this type of detecting lol "just looking for power lines..."

I don't care if it's city owned or not I'd kill you if you hunted my easement without permission. I have an award winning yard mind you but still. Also I thought this when I first got into detecting and this city owned thing is not true here at all. The city owns curbstrips here as well but are relinquished control to the home owner thus far making them private property. The physical sidewalk itself and the back ally easement are the only 2 that are owned and controlled by the city. In all reality about the first 15 feet of your property and about 5 feet in from the sides and about 5-15 feet of the back depending how it's set up is probably owned by the city. The question you need to figure out is who has control over it. Ownership doesn't mean permission think of your yard like an indefinite lease. City owns the land but you lease it giving you control to do what you want to it.

I always ask permission just to hunt someone's curb strip and then it usually turns into permission to hunt their yard. I've never been yelled at I've never been threatened I've never had the cops called on me. It's soo easy I just ask if I can hunt the city owned part of their yard pretty much and that's it they 9out of 10 times say yes. Now you can hunt without stress. Or being an absoulte <<<Deleted by Admin. Kindly curb your expletives>>>and pissing people off by being on what's technically private property without permission.

Jarrett has some good advice here. As a suggestion, I'd casually, from the street or sidewalk, run my detector over the ground to see if there's even anything worth asking permission to pursue. And as he implied, I wouldn't even look at properties that are well maintained. I mentioned this a few weeks ago in a similar post and got some support and a few members wanted to lynch me for even suggesting the guy who plants, feeds, cuts and maintains that strip, might trump a tax paying member of society. You can be legally right and morally wrong, so stay with the guy who is raising a bumper crop of weeds or even just sand and inquire there.
And if you are uncomfortable asking, look for houses that are for sale and are obviously empty AND untended, and check the curbside of those. Probably no one will raise an eyebrow.

Who knew Canadians were so sensitive about their curb strips. :laughing:

Are you applying Canadian law to the US or are you not really in Alberta?

I like the Idea of hunting the strip in front of empty houses. I see potential strips in front of factories and municipal buildings. I've wodered about how to go about hunting them. I have that shy/no confrontation thing as well. I've never hunted one old home(except my huntin buddy's) because I just won't ask period. I also have very little silver! The shy thing has extremely limited me.

Very True. That's for sure..

So we headed to hunt a small (i.e. not even big enough for a police department) town this past weekend. This man drives up and comes over to my buddy and they have the following dialogue:

(initial pleasantries....)

Man: "well we don't appreciate you guys coming over to our public park and poking holes and digging up stuff"

Buddy: "Umm sir, exactly this is a public park..."

Man: "How would you feel if someone came over to your neighborhood park and dug up stuff?"

Buddy: "I don't think i'd have a problem with it sir"

Man: "Well what's your name?"

Buddy: "my name is xxx"

Man: "well I'm xxxxx"

(old man storms off in anger and slams the door to his pickup truck.)

We hunted until we finished the park and left peacefully and uneventful.

Some people just feel the need to "defend" their property...or "their park"

I'm normally a nice guy but I can be an @hole. If you dont have a badge or proof of authority, don't get in my face about something. I will tell you to STFU and walk away from me. I can't stand people like that.

I like the Idea of hunting the strip in front of empty houses......

This notion of parking strips in front of commercial district areas, or vacant homes (versus occupied ones), etc... issue, has often come up in the discussion of "whether or not we can hit parking strips".

And notice that this notion does not trade on the legality issue. It strictly trades on the "does anyone really care?" test. That's the test I use all the time. Because, gee, if "no one cares", then ... there's really not much to debate or worry about, eh ? :p

I usually just look for good strips in front of unoccupied houses , there really isnt anyone to care if I am hunting it or not. If the houses are occupied then its a good idea and just common courtesy to ask permission. They maintain it , cut the grass , pick up trash , etc. they deserve to be considered.

I hunt curb strips(right of ways) quite often.. Great areas. Here is my advice.. If there is a house or business.. Ask. Yes, right of ways are used for utilities and belong to the city(usually) ... But the thing is, land owners mow and take care of those that are in front of thier homes.. Some won't understand or don't want someone digging in front of thier homes.... Even though it's not technically thiers..heres the deal. Hunting those without consent can give other owners in that area a bad taste in thier mouths for you and the hobby.
What I do is ask the owner to hunt the city's easement (right of way) I say I do have permission to hunt(because there is not metal detecting law against it) "but I like to ask the landowner because it's just a courtesy, and you know why I am out there."

Approaching it as its a privilege to hunt there rather than a right will get you further.. That's why some areas are much easier to get permission.. Our society is so caught up in "I'm entitled" mentality... Yes we may have a right to hunt there.. But why stop there.. Gaining "permission" or the "ok" can open up the private property it sits in front of..

I hunt curb strips(right of ways) quite often.. Great areas. Here is my advice.. If there is a house or business.. Ask. Yes, right of ways are used for utilities and belong to the city(usually) ... But the thing is, land owners mow and take care of those that are in front of thier homes.. Some won't understand or don't want someone digging in front of thier homes.... Even though it's not technically thiers..heres the deal. Hunting those without consent can give other owners in that area a bad taste in thier mouths for you and the hobby.
What I do is ask the owner to hunt the city's easement (right of way) I say I do have permission to hunt(because there is not metal detecting law against it) "but I like to ask the landowner because it's just a courtesy, and you know why I am out there."

Approaching it as its a privilege to hunt there rather than a right will get you further.. That's why some areas are much easier to get permission.. Our society is so caught up in "I'm entitled" mentality... Yes we may have a right to hunt there.. But why stop there.. Gaining "permission" or the "ok" can open up the private property it sits in front of..

That is very well put. esp the "I'm entitled mentality"
That strip of land being technically owned by town, city, or DOT, or Dept. of highways in my particular case, and "here" it is 33 feet from the center of the road, as there is no sidewalk, that amounts to about 10 feet or so of my lawn. General public have rights to walk on the sidewalk, and drive on the street of course, but in no way does Joe public have ANY "rights" dig dig holes in my 10 feet of lawn within those road limits. For all intents, and purposes the land does belong to the adjacent land owner. In most places the adjacent land owner is responsibe for keeping the section of sidewalk free of ice, and if some was to slip, and fall, is liable...that is ownership.

I usually just look for good strips in front of unoccupied houses , there really isnt anyone to care if I am hunting it or not. If the houses are occupied then its a good idea and just common courtesy to ask permission. They maintain it , cut the grass , pick up trash , etc. they deserve to be considered.

I usually just look for good strips in front of unoccupied houses

How do you know they are unoccupied? Looks are decieving, and a non responsive door knock doesn't mean someone isn't inside.

It just feels like we're splitting straws just a little. Seems to me that hunting curb strips in residential areas might need to be added to the metal detecting code of ethics as a general "don't do" to "protect out public image.

I've known people who will also drive around and quickly hit a high grass, unmaintained yard, not just the curb strip...assuming it's unoccupied. Where does it all end in these skews of perception? Curb strips are SOOO in the public's eye, it seems to me that the visual image many of non-detecting public gives us tectors already as vultures, will further generate.

It bites that we tenured American citizens don't have the priviledge to hunt city owned curb strips without needing to get any permission from the non-owner of that small strip. Will that homeowner then be allowed to discriminate what ethnic person walks on that sidewalk or steps on the city curb strip grass? No.

Why are we made to be red headed step-children for plucking a dime from the public grass next to the street? That's the way it is though so why not add to the MD code of ethics and say to leave curb strips off limits for the sake of the public's eye. That seems simpler in the long run.

martin

I usually just look for good strips in front of unoccupied houses

How do you know they are unoccupied? Looks are decieving, and a non responsive door knock doesn't mean someone isn't inside.

It just feels like we're splitting straws just a little. Seems to me that hunting curb strips in residential areas might need to be added to the metal detecting code of ethics as a general "don't do" to "protect out public image.

I've known people who will also drive around and quickly hit a high grass, unmaintained yard, not just the curb strip...assuming it's unoccupied. Where does it all end in these skews of perception? Curb strips are SOOO in the public's eye, it seems to me that the visual image many of non-detecting public gives us tectors already as vultures, will further generate.

It bites that we tenured American citizens don't have the priviledge to hunt city owned curb strips without needing to get any permission from the non-owner of that small strip. Will that homeowner then be allowed to discriminate what ethnic person walks on that sidewalk or steps on the city curb strip grass? No.

Why are we made to be red headed step-children for plucking a dime from the public grass next to the street? That's the way it is though so why not add to the MD code of ethics and say to leave curb strips off limits for the sake of the public's eye. That seems simpler in the long run.

martin

good point..
That's the reason the guys and I get permission.. We don't hunt "unoccupied" properties unless we have the owners consent.. just jumping out the truck when it "looks" like no one is around is 90% of the reason our hobby is looked at in a bad light.. being up front, no sneaking, and gaining the trust of the public/landowner is the only way we can guarantee that future hunts will be available... 95% of our hunts are permission based whether it be a private landowner, church elder, or Corps of Engineer Park Ranger.(just to name a few). Right of ways or curb strips can hold amazing targets(see pic below)
ZYrWlNV.jpg

Simply getting permission is all it takes..
Some will say we can't get permission cause people are buttheads... well I can almost bet the reason is someone either trespassed on their property or the mentality of the area is detectorists are bad... because of truck jumpers, trespassers, or the ever present "Entitled".. we are going to have to repair the image the public has on us.. or it will get worse..
I saw some posts in another thread.. "where the poster said screw them.. we have the right to hunt there.. it's public property. I know my rights." or something very similar.. and people want to know why it's so hard to get permissions in certain areas.. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom