G2 pinpointing

Dirt Lizard

Elite Member
I been taking my tek g2 out on trial trying to get used to the pinpointing on the coil and im finding the heel part right over the rod is where it centers over the target not in the center of the coil :?: Anybody elses coil doing the same?

If we are talking the 11 inch dd, there should be a circle about the size of a pencil with an x in the center that is supposed to be the pinpoint center. Is that not correct? I have two (F4 & O8) and they both have it.:yes:

If we are talking the 11 inch dd, there should be a circle about the size of a pencil with an x in the center that is supposed to be the pinpoint center. Is that not correct? I have two (F4 & O8) and they both have it.:yes:

Yes i used that spot but it seemed off the mark when i went to use my garrett pin pointer.

That is exactly where mine pin pointed when I through down some coins for practice. We've had so much rain I've only had a couple real hunts and my target can be anywhere in a hole the size of the coil. But I think the fact I'm basically hunting in mud has something to do with that.

Got a 10x12 DD for my Vaq...pinpointing was kicking my you know what.
I have found a much larger sweet spot with this coil, and it was not easy to really hear the absolute strongest tone.
Seemed about 6-8 inches wide.
Now, with practice, I have narrowed it down a lot.
I have found pinpoint center on the DD is slightly forward of center.

I did notice a few times a double beep on a sweep, and I finally figured out the target was at the very front of the coil and the quick double beep was the 2 fields passing over the target.
Evidently the fields come very close together on the heel and toe of this type of coil.

Then I found this video and tried this technique and I am having much more luck pinpointing now by quickly pinpointing down to the center of the coil area first, then walking around the target and inching the front of the coil to the target from at least 2 different angles to really zero in.
Does not take long at all with practice.

I use a Propointer, so if I even come close to pinpointing a target I can quickly find it if it is not too deep, but I still want to get better at just using the detector for deeper targets and just in case the propointer goes bad on a hunt.
(Heaven forbid!!!)

This is about a Garrett coil, works the same with mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hqvdjRVxc

Back
Top Bottom