Interpretation of your detector's signals

Kloss

I read here in the forum and in other websites that when your detector shows a not stable signal (the VDI range goes from 10 to 60 for example), I can be pretty sure that is about junk like nails, etc.

Now I read that jewelry objects can give low tone signals, mid tone signals and high tone signals. So I was wondering if they are steady signals anyway or can the signal go up and down when I swing my detector?

Jewelry and coins(non-ferrous objects) will give you a constant signal when passed over from different directions with your coil. Iron items(ferrous objects) tend to break up ie. provide an inconstant signal. If you have a vdi, you will see the numbers group or spread erratically depending on whether the object is non-ferrous or ferrous.

Oh...did I mention that pull tabs and pop/beer cans are non-ferrous?:lol:

HH

I don't know!! I've dug Indian heads thats jumped all over the place & also very deep silver coins thats jumped around quit a bit as well, also coins on edge will tend to give different readings & sometimes more then one coin in a hole will as well.. Most of the time its junk though.. Dang now I'm confused..:lol:

Thanks guys.

I just received yesterday my F2 and I tried it yesterday and today in my yard.
Obviously I found a bunch of rusty nails close to the house and the signals go crazy up and down from around 10 to 80. So if I start to discriminate I don't get any signal, not even 80/90 signals. Anyway the signal sometimes is cut when the VDI goes crazy up and down. I mean it is not a clear long F2 bip, but it is like a beginning of a bip. What does it mean?
The good thing is I got steady signals on the coins and a little variable signal about two ferrous things.

Back
Top Bottom