question on ace 150 iron targets..

Cryslee83

hey all,

I`ve noticed that for some people who use ace 150 or 250 that when they use all metal mode, to include iron, they find older coins and relics...the sites I usually go to are usually pretty trashy and hate finding more nails and junk metal..is it true that some older coins come up as iron? If so I guess I should go into all metal mode, because I usually now am only doing jewelery mode to find pulltab/gold, coins and nickel...thanks for any advice.

When I use my 250 it's in all metal but I notched stuff out so it basically looks like the coin mode but actually in all metal. I'm not sure if that really has any effect on depth or not but why take that chance :)

I can only speak through my own experiences with the ACE250.
I also hunt in All Metall mode,and better rely on sound.
Because if you notch out iron and you hit an "iffy" signal with
iron notched out you will only hear the high tones ,but not the iron
tone misleading you to believe you have only "a good signal".
If there is some non-iron target at the spot,it will hit high and clear
in both directions (X)

hey all,

I`ve noticed that for some people who use ace 150 or 250 that when they use all metal mode, to include iron, they find older coins and relics...the sites I usually go to are usually pretty trashy and hate finding more nails and junk metal..is it true that some older coins come up as iron? If so I guess I should go into all metal mode, because I usually now am only doing jewelery mode to find pulltab/gold, coins and nickel...thanks for any advice.
You have to do the best you can for the site you hunt. All you have to do if you want to hunt in all metal is to learn the different low tones (iron)-some are long suggesting trash-some are coin sized. I usually save a/m mode for totlots where there's a better chance for gold. Unfortunately, the 150 doesn't have the Relics mode-which would be a great mode to have in these situations. The Relics mode alone would make me purchase the 250 over the 150.

I honestly don't believe there's any difference between the modes. Its all just what you're hearing and what you aren't because of the discrimination.

I went out and also tried it at a local tot lot, and the only difference, was exactly what it tells you, all metal will find some scrap pieces of metal, and jewelery will cut out all the nonsense...but thanks for the replies :)

The ACE can react different according to the spot you hit :
trashy / non trashy....

I'm not following one thing from most of these threads. I've never heard of ANY detector that doesn't pick up ALL METALS in all metal mode. This means those that mention discing out iron and then running in all metal should still be picking up iron with no discrimination effect at all. On all the detectors I'm familiar with, all metal mode is the most sensitive, least discriminate mode on the detector regardless of discrimination settings. Are you sure the ACE is any different?
BB

I'm not following one thing from most of these threads. I've never heard of ANY detector that doesn't pick up ALL METALS in all metal mode. This means those that mention discing out iron and then running in all metal should still be picking up iron with no discrimination effect at all. On all the detectors I'm familiar with, all metal mode is the most sensitive, least discriminate mode on the detector regardless of discrimination settings. Are you sure the ACE is any different?
BB
Correct! The only coins I'm aware of that register as iron were extremely deep ones on the deeper seeking, higher priced models: it happened to me with the Fisher CZ's. The only reason I could think of a coin registering that in a/m on the Ace would be in a target-masking situation. The Relics mode STILL gets close to the a/m mode, as some of the small foil/small gold will give the low tone signal. That's why I favor it in most locations-but the a/m mode in totlots or fairly clean sites. Just the oddity of finds-pins, charms, toys, etc. make it interesting enough and sometimes profitable enough to use.

Back
Top Bottom