help me please im new

Also, the White's Prizm series is a competitive start... Welcome Paul...

Paul, I would suggest looking at the Garrett ACE250 or the Whites Prizm III over those Bounty Hunter units. Also, as previously mentioned, check out deals you can get on eBay on a used unit. I purchased my first detector on eBay for about 1/3 it's retail price, and it's still going strong as my backup now. Good luck!

Paul, welcome to the forum and a great hobby. I have owned both the Ace 250 and Prizm 4 and 5. All are good starting and long time use detectors. Just for me I would have to go with the Ace 250. You get the same bells and whistles as the Prizm 4 at a cheaper price. But be sure to check out other brands entery detectors. You might find something that better fits your fancy. Best of luck

I use an Explorer II, but I bought two Ace 250's as Christmas gifts for the wife and a nephew. They won't be the greatest in the wet sand, but that's OK. They should do well in 90 % of the other areas which are inland. I hope that the seeds I've planted sprout into a great hobby for others. I think I've given it the best shot with a really decent detector for the money. I hope this helps you brrttpaul, and welcome !!!!!!
BTW, I was given my 1st detector as a gift from my wife. It was a low end made by Bounty Hunter for a popular electronics chain. It was useless half of the time due to ground mineralization. I also hear that since BH was taken over by a different company a while back, their quality has suffered, but not having used a newer one myself, I can only say that this is "hearsay" heard many times.

Hi guys was just looking at the ace 250 and just noticed an ace 250 pro which is slightly dearer apparently it has another bigger coil so i was wondering would the pro be a better option or is it more of a sales gimmick you know (bigger is better). Im definatley going for the garrett (i think lol) so just whether the more expensive one now. i promise to take some pics of my finds really cant wait to have a go at this theres an old roman fort nearby also the first ironworks near me and im told the first quakers originted from the mountain up behind me so should be interesting thx for the help guys/gals

I don't know whether the packaging would include the "optional coil" as well as the standard. If this is the case you will get the two coils cheaper than upgrading to the larger coil later. Since you are just starting out, the standard coil will do just fine. If you are on a limited budget, I would get the standard coil, and a set of decent headphones with their own volume control, as the detector does not have this feature. I understand that the new larger coil does a good job on increasing depth, so I would consider it if possible.

Bill

I bought the PRO package with the larger coil and I love it. And yes you do get both. I use the larger one for fields and open areas. The smaller for wooded, brush, and high trash areas. The ace is one coin-detecting monster just ask my youngest son, if you can get him to stop detecting long enough, I cannot get it out of my sons hands. He has already found dollars plus in clad in the front yard. I love this machine. Just wish it did wet sand and water at the beach!!!! I found that after using the larger coil for pinpointing, when I switch to the standard coil, pinpointing is almost too easy.
Did I mention I love this machine? :D

thanks very much i think i will go for the pro version otherwise i,ll always be wondering what if lol. i cant believe how friendly and helpfull everyone is one question though what is (clad) thanks again for your help cant wait for my detector now im sending off for it next saturday just hope it dosnt take long to arrive

Clad refers to just plain money. Nothing old, just common to date currency. Best of luck with your Ace 250

brrttpaul,
Just to further elaborate. Clad is the U.S. version of legal playmoney. No copper, just zinc with a copper plating, and "silver" coins without much silver, sandwiched over a copper core. I don't remember if the U.S. nickel ($.05) still has any nickel. This is what happens when the value of the metal exceeds the value of the coin.

brrttpaul said:
hmmm must admit the garrett 250 does seem to be a good beginer md just been reading up on it and havnt heard a bad word for it yet

Brittpaul,
Welcome aboard. I have used 4 different Bounty Hunters2 of which you have mentioned. I now own a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger which I use for coins and relics. Most of my detecting is for gold and the detectors are used to prospect a new area. For that purpose I use a Garrett Gold Stinger and a Fisher Gold Bug 2. I do agree with the others that the Ace 250 or a Whites Prizm would be the best bet. Well worth the little extra you pay.

Bob

WThesing said:
brrttpaul,
Just to further elaborate. Clad is the U.S. version of legal playmoney. No copper, just zinc with a copper plating, and "silver" coins without much silver, sandwiched over a copper core. I don't remember if the U.S. nickel ($.05) still has any nickel. This is what happens when the value of the metal exceeds the value of the coin.

Interesting enough the nickels are a 75% copper and 25% nickel alloy. There is no silver in the dimes, quarters, and halves. They are a pure copper core "clad" with a 75% copper and 25% nickel alloy.

Back
Top Bottom